Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #1

Kudos to Grasshopper again

It is here --almost. Grasshoper has designed a backrest for the mustang seats. I have these seats on my 2004 Nomad and I just returned from a 1700 + mile trip to NC, TN, (Dragon baby), MD, and VA. The backrest performed excellently and it made a huge difference in my riding comfort. You really do not know how much comfort you are missing until you try riding with a backrest. My backrest is a prototype so I do not know when grasshopper will start taking orders, but it was worth the wait for me. I had someone else ride my bike for a while, and I sat on the passenger seat and the backrest fit perfectly. It did not bother me in the back and did not take any space away from the passenger. It has just enough flex to allow the driver to lean back and lounge (if you choose to do so) and at the same time, it does not put the driver on top of the tank as I have been told that some backrests do. Once you install the bracket, you can remove or reinstall the backrest in seconds.

There are so many mustang seats out there that it baffles my mind why the company has not made a backrest to retrofit all the seats they have already sold, without forcing their customers to sell their existing seats and buy a new set that comes with a backrest. I called the company and they have no intention of making one.

Anyway, thanks to grasshopper for jumping in and making this product. I have been looking for a backrest for a while but most of the ones I found only work with stock seats or require some modifications to fit the mustang seats. Now, the wait is over.

Thanks grasshopper!
KawaNOW #00755

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by egetaseb
There are so many mustang seats out there that it baffles my mind why the company has not made a backrest to retrofit all the seats they have already sold, without forcing their customers to sell their existing seats and buy a new set that comes with a backrest. I called the company and they have no intention of making one.
I think you hit the nail on the head. $$$$$$

Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Because they sell seats with backrests built in, that's why. It's all about the almighty dollar.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

No! that can't be true?!! ::)

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Because they sell seats with backrests built in, that's why. It's all about the almighty dollar.
True, but I am sure that I am not the only person out there who already has the seats and cannot/ will not get rid of my seats (at a huge loss) just to buy the identical seat with a backrest. I do not mind spending a little extra to get a backrest.
KawaNOW #00755

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

True, but I am sure that I am not the only person out there who already has the seats and cannot/ will not get rid of my seats (at a huge loss) just to buy the identical seat with a backrest. I do not mind spending a little extra to get a backrest.
Right, and I agree with you - but Mustang doesn't want to cater to people like you. They want to sell seats with backrests. So someone like Grasshopper fills a niche.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #7

now if we could just get lonnie to make one for the 1600 nomads
with mustang seats !!!! last i spoke to him he didn't have a donor
bike to get his measurments from.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman
now if we could just get lonnie to make one for the 1600 nomads
with mustang seats !!!! last i spoke to him he didn't have a donor
bike to get his measurments from.
If anyone has one that they are willing to work with me on this. Let me know. I have had many people ask for these but i can't find anyone close by that can help.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #9

Quote:
It is here --almost. Grasshoper has designed a backrest for the mustang seats. I have these seats on my 2004 Nomad and I just returned from a 1700 + mile trip to NC, TN, (Dragon baby), MD, and VA. The backrest performed excellently and it made a huge difference in my riding comfort. You really do not know how much comfort you are missing until you try riding with a backrest. My backrest is a prototype so I do not know when grasshopper will start taking orders, but it was worth the wait for me. I had someone else ride my bike for a while, and I sat on the passenger seat and the backrest fit perfectly. It did not bother me in the back and did not take any space away from the passenger. It has just enough flex to allow the driver to lean back and lounge (if you choose to do so) and at the same time, it does not put the driver on top of the tank as I have been told that some backrests do. Once you install the bracket, you can remove or reinstall the backrest in seconds.

Anyway, thanks to grasshopper for jumping in and making this product. I have been looking for a backrest for a while but most of the ones I found only work with stock seats or require some modifications to fit the mustang seats. Now, the wait is over.

Thanks grasshopper!
Thanks for the kind words!! Ride safe!!!