Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #1

Change Jobs? -Update-Accepted Position

The big county owned hospital 40 min away had an open house sat for 'experienced nurses' so I went. This is a 500+ bed facility that built a new tower, made all the rooms private. Everything is very modern, up to date spacious. They also spent big bucks to have a private company come in and do a study resulting in their commitment to bring down and keep nurse to pt ration 4 to 1. They are one of the top ten county owned hospitals in the nation.

Of course, as a result of taking the tour they are really interested in talking with me. I'll described where I work now and try to list what I see as advantage and disadvantage both ways. Any insight you guys may see that I may have overlooked will be appreciated.

Currently working as a night house supervisor in local hospital, 5 mins from my home that is owned by a large 'for profit' corporation that owns lots of mostly small to mid -sized hospitals. They are very much 'for profit' oriented. I was working 76 hrs for a two week period, this went to 72 and is now 64 hours for two weeks considered full time. The nurse to patient ratio runs 6 to 7 pts per nurse, most time without a tech. Moral is awful, can't keep nurses, constant turnover. I feel in the middle all the time, upper management grinds the bottom line in the wall....'send people home if the census goes down and you can call them back in if it goes up, call them off etc'....Staff is frustrated at working with skeleton crews all the time and is worn out. Christmas bonuses have been let's see one year and 4-5 lb ham, next year a small bed-roll size blanket with the hospital name on it. But the CFO was bragging about how he paid off his wife's car and paid his house mortgage ahead several months with his Xmas bonuses. Before the hospital was sold to this 'for profit' organization each employee got at least $25 Walmart gift card...how much you got depended on how long you had been with them...my last card several years ago was for $50. They say they can't give out cash xmas bonuses because of their part of the tax they would have to pay. But all the administration still gets big bonases.....hey does this sound like the big three auto companies?

The job at the hospital 40 mins away would be days....four - 10 hours days.....Mon thru Fri rotating one weekend out of 9 (there are 9 RNs in this position) on call. This is a dialysis nurse position something I did a few years back and experienced dialysis nurses are hard to come by so they are interested. It takes almost 6 months to train an unexperienced dialysis nurse so they know I can be up and running in a very short time 4-6 wks orientation.

My current job as supervisor...because we are so much in the 'middle' they can't keep folks in that job either plus the hours suck which makes it very difficult to take off. I have lots of vacation time because it is like searching for the sunken Titanic to find someone to cover for me to take off. It makes me always worry if I'm going to get screwed over....like for instance the rally in Custer I've got my reservations etc....but I won't know for sure if there will be anybody to cover until as few as weeks ahead. I work 36 hrs one week and 28 the other working every other weekend Fri-Sat-Sun night.

The dialysis job 40 mins away would be 80 hrs a paycheck. Days, 4 days on...3 days off....only one weekend out of nine. But I'm sure gasoline is going to go back up. They have an employee garage that they shuttle so on nice days I would ride the bike and my car is '08 Nissan Sentra so I would not be burning that much gas.

My thinking is...talk to them and see what the pay difference is...I'm think a little less since not supervisory but who knows they may be negotiable. Starting a new job I would not have vacation built in but if they make an offer and I decide I want to do it I will tell them I already have vacation plans for June and would like to take off then as LWOP.

Insights? Opinions?
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #2

Ah. Don't you just love living where we have choices like these to consider?
I suspect you already know what you want to do as long as the numbers work.
Either way, I'm sure you'll make the choice that works out best for you and yours.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #3

I'm not a nurse but I have been working 12 hr shifts since 1990. I too am a shift supervisor. On normal rotation I work 2 weekends per month. One is dayshift and the other is nightshift. It comes out to 7 days and 7 nights per month. I interviewed today for a straight day safety job and will take it if the offer is good enough. I'm not going to say what you should do but if you are unhappy where you are and the morale is that bad, I'm sure you wouldn't mind driving the 80 mins daily. The way I look at it is if the money is great and I am unhappy at my workplace and something better comes up paying the same or a little less, I'll cross the fence. The choice is yours. You know what is best for you. Whatever makes you happy will more than likely allow you to live longer and healthier.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #4

Can't say what would work for you, but I sure know what works for me. That having been said, I have one simple rule.

I have to enjoy my job. I've done a few different things. Mostly, self employed. At one time, ran a company of 50 people, many crews, day and night, 24/7, all over Texas. Made more money, had more control over my time (sort of), and was miserable.

Now, I like what I do and do what I like. What I find with this is I am willing to work more, but it doesn't 'feel' like more work.

Good luck to you, I had an ex that worked in medical. Clinics, private, major hospitals, they all had their good and their bad. All I know is when she found a place and people that made her happy, life was good.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #5

Nancy,
I think that we can see which way you are leaning, and you know that you have our support which ever way you need to go. I agree with Regal and have to say that if you find something that you love to do that will earn you money, you'll never "work" a day in your life. It is amazing how much I enjoy what I am doing, and would never have expected the fulfillment I get from being a pastor. I can also understand the anxiety of changing jobs...I'll be going through something similar in the new year.
Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 AM   #6

Thanks for the inputs. I didn't mention that the night shift nurses and secretaries where I work tell me they are always glad to see me. They say I am work harder than the others to keep as much staff in house as possible, that I listen and even if I can't do what they ask I explain why (which is usually my hands are tied). I always treat folks (staff and patients) like I would want to be treated.

My supervisor (the CNO -Chief Nursing Officer) I never hear anything from her unless there is a problem. Don't get me wrong I don't have to be patted on the back but if someone goes above and beyond I try to recognize them. It does make me feel good when staff tells me they are always glad to see me as the supervisor coming in.

I can't tell you how many times I have worked sick. I even worked one day up until 11 am staying NPO left went across the street to the Outpatient surgery center to have my gallbladder removed because there was nobody else to finish payroll. Did anybody acknowlege that or thank me....no. Went to visit my son who is in the Army and had been stationed in Hawaii for 3 years. ...could only get coverage for x number of days.....so flew to Hawaii for 3nights stay...flying back 8 hour flight all day to return and work an 8 hr 11p to 7 a shift that night because there was noone else to cover.

I guess I see what the pay is going to be. I'll let you guys know.
BTW another plus either way....my husband is always so supportive of me and tells me do whatever I think will make me more happy.
Kawanow Member #23

Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #7

Nancy, If the pay is any where near what you can live on , and you think you would like working day shift , I would take the new job.
It is not a supervisor position and if you miss that, you seem to be a real hard worker and go getter , I'm sure you could work your way up to supervisor in the new job.
Since you have experience in the dialysis nurse position you might be able to use this to negotiate your pay rate. You know, they would only have to train you 4-6 weeks instead of 6 months, thus saving them money.
I do believe your not appreciated by upper management where your at, and I think you feel the same way. The people who work for you will miss you and I'm sure you will miss some of them. You have to look at what is best for you and your career. Sometimes we have to move on. When something is gained, something else is always lost.
I don't think the vacation time is a big factor as you don't seem to be able to use it when you want anyway. I am not sure how the new job shifts work. You say four 10 hour days. If they stay the same, Mon.-Thur., every week you would have a three day weekend every week except the one you are on call. That seems like the ideal work week to me.
Looking in from the outside I don't see any negatives to taking the new job.

VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #8

In my present career, I've only worked for one bad organization, and I didn't know how bad it was until I left. It sucked, bad, very bad. There is no way I'd go back and work for them.

Sometimes we can get sucked into a bad situation because it becomes bad in increments, and we get used to it little by little. Then when it gets to be too much and we leave, the removal of the burden and the relief we feel is a shock. At that point we can't believe that we were staying under those conditions.

Having a place that appreciates you, is fair with you, and values what you are doing for them is great. I only work one day a week for an organization now, and they wish I'd work more for them. I worked five days for the other place and I don't know that they appreciated it at all.

Liking where you work will make your time off of work so much better.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Nancy, If the pay is any where near what you can live on , and you think you would like working day shift , I would take the new job.
It is not a supervisor position and if you miss that, you seem to be a real hard worker and go getter , I'm sure you could work your way up to supervisor in the new job.
Since you have experience in the dialysis nurse position you might be able to use this to negotiate your pay rate. You know, they would only have to train you 4-6 weeks instead of 6 months, thus saving them money.
I do believe your not appreciated by upper management where your at, and I think you feel the same way. The people who work for you will miss you and I'm sure you will miss some of them. You have to look at what is best for you and your career. Sometimes we have to move on. When something is gained, something else is always lost.
I don't think the vacation time is a big factor as you don't seem to be able to use it when you want anyway. I am not sure how the new job shifts work. You say four 10 hour days. If they stay the same, Mon.-Thur., every week you would have a three day weekend every week except the one you are on call. That seems like the ideal work week to me.
Looking in from the outside I don't see any negatives to taking the new job.
TC just about all you said hit the nail on the head. I don't feel that upper management appreciates me or any other employee. They have the attitude 'if you don't like it leave' .....what I don't think they realize is the ones who leave and can easily find another job are you're top quality employees...the last ones you want to lose. As some folks have said around there 'why can't we keep the good ones'.

Yes I feel I have the respect and respect in return most of the night shift staff. I can pick out the lazy ones 'it's not my job' individuals pretty easy...the ones that make it more difficult for everybody else. If I make a change that will be the difficult part missing those who I have enjoyed an association with and they will hate to see me go.....

But (modestly said) I am a hard conscientious worker and it will not take long to feel a part of a new group. The director over the dialysis unit told me to come see her....mill around meet the staff.....ask anything I want. She said they will give me the good, the bad and the ugly. She also said that most of her folks have been with her for a long time.....that says a lot.

I'll submit a formal application and see what is offered...and make the final decision.

Dan,
You are so right about accepting something or talking yourself into saying something is 'not really all that bad'. Truth be known I did 18 months of travel nursing because I had to get away from this facility that I am currently working at. I kept coming back because it is 'close and convenient'.

All of your comments have been insightful and have helped me further analyze and evaluate. Appreciate my Nomad Bros!!!!!

Kawanow Member #23

Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #10

I am a little late in my response. Good advice/insight by many.

I don't know your age; but life is far too short for misery. I am 53 and realize this more so with each passing day; which is why I enjoy my moments on my bike.

I have had periods in my life with various responsibilities and income. Making a lot of money is nice; but not if you can't enjoy life. Not making enough money can also keep you from enjoying life. The same applies to responsibilities; whether required or self-imposed.

My point... life is too short... be sure you enjoy it.

(Besides... 3-day weekends?!! Hello!!!! Wake-up... that means long road-trips on the Nomad!!)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
But I'm sure gasoline is going to go back up. They have an employee garage that they shuttle so on nice days I would ride the bike and my car is '08 Nissan Sentra so I would not be burning that much gas.
That is, if you don't go in and leave it running while you're working. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Sounds like you know what you plan to do to me too. I know the change I will be making in a few days will be the best thing I can do for me. There are so many reasons I can think of to stay where I am but I know it's not in my best interest in the long run, so I'm going. I know full well what you mean by not being appreciated. They will know when you're gone just like mine will realize what a hole I am leaving behind. I wish you well with your decision. Keep us posted!!

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #12

Amy, keep us posted on your situation also. What ever it is ???

I retired a year ago last September. When I left managment was smiling from ear to ear. You would have thought it was the happiest day of their life.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgirl (nckawgirl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
But I'm sure gasoline is going to go back up. They have an employee garage that they shuttle so on nice days I would ride the bike and my car is '08 Nissan Sentra so I would not be burning that much gas.
That is, if you don't go in and leave it running while you're working. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
LOL you got that right! :-/Would you believe I almost did that another time! :-[

Kawanow Member #23

Old 12-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #14

Uh, yes! Just kidding!!!

TC, my situation is squared away with a brand new job that I will start after the Christmas holidays. Actually, my first day is next Friday but I will be getting my physical done which is a requirement for the new school district. The loss is the school and county I'm leaving. They will never be able to replace me and they are having a helluva time finding applicants to interview.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 12-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to scion0

I found out this week that I will be laid off next Friday as part of the Caterpillar downsizing. To bad itl's too cold to ride here in Peoria, IL.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad