Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Good news - Bad news

The Good news as several of you know is that I just bought a MIG welder to try to learn how to weld so that I can get the price of my jack adapters down to make them more affordable. I have a welding helmet on the way and I'm looking forward to this adventure.

The Bad News is that my jack adapter design has been ripped off and is now being sold on E-Bay. GRRRRRRRr. I just posted in our for sale section that I have four adapters available for my cost if anyone wants them. I need the cash for further development.

So let's hope that I can learn to weld and turn these out cheaper than the rat ba$tard who ripped off my design. I really want to continue to do this and provide a great product that will be a good value and get these bikes lifted safely.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Good news - Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
The Good news as several of you know is that I just bought a MIG welder to try to learn how to weld so that I can get the price of my jack adapters down to make them more affordable. I have a welding helmet on the way and I'm looking forward to this adventure.

The Bad News is that my jack adapter design has been ripped off and is now being sold on E-Bay. GRRRRRRRr. I just posted in our for sale section that I have four adapters available for my cost if anyone wants them. I need the cash for further development.

So let's hope that I can learn to weld and turn these out cheaper than the rat ba$tard who ripped off my design. I really want to continue to do this and provide a great product that will be a good value and get these bikes lifted safely.
If I ever get a lift, I would buy the adapter from you. Quality builds quality stuff. ;) Change you advertising ideas, and people will buy from you rather than someone using inferior materials and workmanship. Good luck.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Good news - Bad news

I wonder if he bought one from you? Do you know who he is?

Quote:

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Good news - Bad news

Ponch I have no idea who this is. His E-Bay posting does not list a location.

Loafer, I appreciate the sentiment. I can't guarantee what the quality will be like from now on because I really do have to learn to weld and start from ground zero.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #5

Good news - Bad news

That really sucks, hopefully its not a member here that did that.
Making them yourself should allow you to be able to produce them for a lot less.
Some metal suppliers have a scrap bin where they sell cutoffs at a greatly reduced price. Since you only require rather short lenths of tubing, it would be worth your while to check out some vendors. It could save you a bunch on your material costs.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #6

Good news - Bad news

We have a couple of steel suppliers here in town and I plan to visit both of them.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #7

Good news - Bad news

If you have a place that fabricates iron railings or trailers, they should use a lot of square tubing as well, and may sell you some cutoffs rather cheap.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #8

Good news - Bad news

Ring!! That is a great idea. Now my search has expanded.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #9

Good news - Bad news

Once the better weather hits youll have a reason to go riding around looking for your metal. And you can bring the smaller bits home on the bike. ;)

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #10

Good news - Bad news

I like the way you think Ring. Thanks again
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #11

Good news - Bad news

Bud, if you haven't already, build yourself a jig that you drop all of the pieces in to tack them up. No framing square or diagonal measurements needed. Saves plenty of time. Also, if you don't have a circular chop saw, look into one. Saves a whole lot of time and makes square cuts every time. You just have to pass a small triangular file inside of the square tubing to get the sharp knife edge out.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 01-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Good news - Bad news

Is it too late to get a patten number on the adapter?? Might be money well spent. I'm just trying to think if there's a way to stop the rip off guy from doing business. That's how I think.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #13

Good news - Bad news

Ricky, I've been selling these online since the fall of 2007. Apparently to get a patent you have to apply before they are made available to the public. I'm screwed unless I can get my costs down. I will.

Good idea Mitch. I may be buying more tools before this is all over. I'm already thinking about a paint booth of sorts. Don't want to paint these in my garage. Wife would be mad forever if I try to paint them in the basement. fumes and all.

I am going to ask the machinist who has been making these for me if he has a jig that I can buy from him. I will bet that he does but the question will be whether he is willing to sell it to me. We will see. He and I have done a lot of business over the years so who knows.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Good news - Bad news

That's what I figured. Well good luck Bud. I pretty much taught myself how to weld. So I'm sure you'll have no problem. I hear you about a place to do things though. I would be doing a few things if I only had a place,....i.e. shop, to do it all in. I had a good friend that let me set up a small area in his shop to do whatever I wanted to do to my bike, car, or whatever. It was great. Unfortunately for him he had a dental problem and didn't take some medication for an infection and the poison got into his system and he passed away on us. I miss his friendship a lot. I miss the opportunity he gave to me so freely also. .....................

I believe things happen for a reason. Maybe having your idea ripped off is to get you to learn to weld, and move on and produce, and maybe expand on your adapter. You might find this to be a good thing, is what I'm trying to say. Turn this negative into a positive.

best of luck Bud, you'll do great!

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #15

Good news - Bad news

Quote:
Ricky, I've been selling these online since the fall of 2007. Apparently to get a patent you have to apply before they are made available to the public. I'm screwed unless I can get my costs down. I will.

Good idea Mitch. I may be buying more tools before this is all over. I'm already thinking about a paint booth of sorts. Don't want to paint these in my garage. Wife would be mad forever if I try to paint them in the basement. fumes and all.

I am going to ask the machinist who has been making these for me if he has a jig that I can buy from him. I will bet that he does but the question will be whether he is willing to sell it to me. We will see. He and I have done a lot of business over the years so who knows.
Bud, you can put a jig together quickly and easily with a sheet of 3/16 or 1/4" plate just a little bigger in area than your jack adapters. Take one of the adapters already built and lay it on top of the plate. Cut some clips out of flatbar or square tubing and stand them up alongside and at the ends of the tubing. Weld them down with the adapter in place and allow everything to cool down. If the adapter is too snug to lift out you may have to slightly adjust the clips by tapping them with a hammer until the adapter can be lifted out easily. Lift the adapter out and you have your jig ready to drop the pre-cut individual pieces in for tacking up. No need to square anything up. The jig will hold everything square and lined up perfectly.

On another note, my Dad paid $10,000+ for a patent on a prototype of adjustable masonry scaffolds he invented. He couldn't get anybody to mass produce them for him. He was leary about building them himself because of liability issues. That money went down the drain. This was about 25 years ago.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482