Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #1

Gas Tank Latch

My friends bike (non nomad... ) has a gas tank latch that is hard to open. When we look at the striker, it has dusty/crusty white stuff on it (like corrosion). It is also hard to move, even by pushing it in with your fingers.

I suggested that we put a few towls across the tank to protect the gas and the tank finish. Then we liberally use WD-40 to clean the striker, wiping as much of the white "stuff" off as we can, and keep working the striker (again, with much WD-40) to see if we can get it moving smoothly.

Does anyone see anything really bad with this idea? I'm sure that a few drops of WD-40 will end up in the tank.

Thank you.

Michael K

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Gas Tank Latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk
My friends bike (non nomad... ) has a gas tank latch that is hard to open. When we look at the striker, it has dusty/crusty white stuff on it (like corrosion). It is also hard to move, even by pushing it in with your fingers.

I suggested that we put a few towls across the tank to protect the gas and the tank finish. Then we liberally use WD-40 to clean the striker, wiping as much of the white "stuff" off as we can, and keep working the striker (again, with much WD-40) to see if we can get it moving smoothly.

Does anyone see anything really bad with this idea? I'm sure that a few drops of WD-40 will end up in the tank.

Thank you.

Michael K
A few drops won't cause you any problems. I don't think a cupful will give you problems, except that it might run rough. But don't put a cupful in to find out. ;)

I've used WD-40 to remove bugs and tar from painted surfaces with great results, so I wouldn't even worry if you get it on the tank.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #3

Gas Tank Latch

I'm wondering if you could somehow soak it with Seafoam?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:20 AM   #4

Gas Tank Latch

I don't know what the metals are that have the white crust but when aluminum oxidizes it is a white crust. Pot metals tend to do the same. If it is oxidation then the metal will be pitted when it is removed. WD40 probably won't help remove that kind of oxidation. However, it wouldn't hurt to try. I've used WD40 on a couple of bike when removing the warning sticker & glue off the gas tank so I don't think you will have a problem with the paint. Just wipe it off and put on a little wax.

Cheers!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Gas Tank Latch

michaelk, That will be just fine. use a wire brush in either brass, or stainless steel, and WD-40.
Get all the crudlings you can off, and once they are, coat the area with any light oil for sewwing machines, guns, and the like.

WD-40 won't harm paint any, and won't harm fuel any, but the crude won't be very welcome in the fuel.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads