Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #1

Added some mods. Have a couple of questions.

Just this past weekend, on my 2011 Voyager, I added Rancnray's grips, K&N air filter and Vance & Hines slip ons. Right away I noticed some decel popping which was to be expected. Today I noticed that under hard acceleration I can hear a hammering sound coming from the right side of the engine. Now I know I've read somewhere that with some aftermarket air intakes, there is a loud hammering sound that the 1700 has. But I didn't expected to hear it with a stock intake. Has anyone else experienced this?

Lastly as I was tightening up an exhaust clamp, I noticed that the exhaust that was coming out of the left side pipe was much warmer than the right side. I'm just wondering if this is normal as the header pipes were both hot.
Avon Grips with Ray's Throttle Mod
Vance and Hines slipons

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero convert View Post
Just this past weekend, on my 2011 Voyager, I added Rancnray's grips, K&N air filter and Vance & Hines slip ons. Right away I noticed some decel popping which was to be expected. Today I noticed that under hard acceleration I can hear a hammering sound coming from the right side of the engine. Now I know I've read somewhere that with some aftermarket air intakes, there is a loud hammering sound that the 1700 has. But I didn't expected to hear it with a stock intake. Has anyone else experienced this?

Lastly as I was tightening up an exhaust clamp, I noticed that the exhaust that was coming out of the left side pipe was much warmer than the right side. I'm just wondering if this is normal as the header pipes were both hot.
1) As to added noise with an OEM K&N Filter element, I did not have "hammering" as you experienced. That "hammering" is the reason I removed a BAK and went back to the stock air box with K&N Element.

However, you might want to check that the K&N is seated properly and you are not sucking air past the seals on the filter or possibly some other connection that came loose on your air box (maybe the PAIR Valve intake?).

2) The dual exhaust on the Voyager and Vaquero is not a true 50/50 split to left and right sides.
Hopefully I have this correct, but there is supposed to be more flow through the right side than the left. Perhaps the more direct side is cooler than the side which is "stagnating" somewhat.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 04-08-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

The decel popping can be reduced by plugging up the fresh air hose located at about the 11:00 oclock position of the right side air box. This is a common mod to reduce decel popping.

RACNRAY

Old 04-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Top Contributor

I believe the intake "hammering" on the 1700's is due to its engine design (timing, valve overlap ?).

The 1600's with a BAK never did it.
What say you Ray ?

I have had Chucksters BAK on my Voyager now for 2 years and enjoy the added performance and "driveability" coupled with the Powrpro fuel processor. It is much more fun to drive than a stock Voyager.

Last edited by redjay; 04-09-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #5

Question is do you hear it even with the stock intake?
Vance and Hines slipons

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Top Contributor

No, not on a stock 1700

Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #7

That's what I mean. I hear it, or at least I think I'm hearing it since I've installed the slipons. But it's probably just the sound resonating off the bike somehow. So far the bike seems to be running like a champ.
Vance and Hines slipons

Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero convert View Post
That's what I mean. I hear it, or at least I think I'm hearing it since I've installed the slipons. But it's probably just the sound resonating off the bike somehow. So far the bike seems to be running like a champ.
Another possibility...if you are hearing a metallic hammering sound...

I had a literal rapid hammering occur when one of my heat shield clamps slipped off (rear cylinder, nearest the jug). Some of the clamps may not be fully seated from the factory and pushing slip-ons on could jar it off. Mine only came loose after working on my mufflers.