Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #1

600 Mile Service

Anybody know the exact things the dealer is supposed to do for a 600 mile service? I figure it would include an oil and final drive fluid change, cable adjustment, retorque all the bolts. I'm trying to justify the $150 cost vs. doing it myself. I did see a thread not too long ago where someone said they had a copy of the torque specs for the Nomads. Anybody have that info that could email me a copy? Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #2

600 Mile Service

Gadget's site covers your question toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/newbie.htm#basics

Nice looking Nomad, they say black and silver is the fastest. Enjoy..Joe

Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #3

600 Mile Service

Quote:
Anybody know the exact things the dealer is supposed to do for a 600 mile service? I figure it would include an oil and final drive fluid change, cable adjustment, retorque all the bolts. I'm trying to justify the $150 cost vs. doing it myself. I did see a thread not too long ago where someone said they had a copy of the torque specs for the Nomads. Anybody have that info that could email me a copy? Thanks.
It's typically a rip-off.... just be sure it doesn't void your warranty if you don't have it done at the stealer.... just my2cw

Nico

Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #4

600 Mile Service

My stealer said I could do my own service. I bought the gear oil from them and kept the receipt. read - keep the receipt.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #5

600 Mile Service

Cool! I just never trust them....

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/news1307.html

"The major things of what they're supposed to do is change all the engine's oil(s) and check for metal or other nasties, and check the valves to see if they need adjusting. Doing it yourself isn't hard, but likely will void your warranty... "

I'm sure Blowndodge, our resident Chief Mechanic, will have the answer for you shortly!"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Top Contributor

600 Mile Service

I did take it in one time for the 600 miles check up but then I got smart and havent been back since.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #7

600 Mile Service

Sir Nico, the valves are self adjusting on our nomads buddy. All they do for the first 600 is change the oil/filter, and final gear case oil, and check all nut and bolt. Approxmently one hour to do the service and yes it is a rip off.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #8

600 Mile Service

Quote:
Sir Nico, the valves are self adjusting on our nomads buddy. All they do for the first 600 is change the oil/filter, and final gear case oil, and check all nut and bolt. Approxmently one hour to do the service and yes it is a rip off.

Thanks Cookie!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #9

600 Mile Service

Yeah, I kinda thought it was a rip off. $150 for what the dealer said was a 2 hour service seems a little steep. I was going to take over the maintenance after the 600 mile check up anyway but I might as well start now. I just need to find a service manual for the torque values and the rest should be easy. Thanks guys.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #10

600 Mile Service

Heater, I don't know a site with the torque values. I have an 05 manual and there are a few pages of torque values at least. My OM on pgs. 160-161 lists 20 bolt/nuts to "check". I don't have access to a scanner or a copier, however, if you contact me by PM or however you wish and give me your phone number I will be glad to 1. verify the parts lists are the same, 2. Give you the values. One thing for sure, when the oil is changed pull the oil screen and clean it too. Many posts and also Gadgets site has details. The manual calls for that O-ring to be replaced. I change mine every other change (at least) after a close inspection of it. I always have one on hand--they can take a week or longer to get around here. They aren't cheap either. Kawi calls for this to be done and I always wonder if the dealers bother. Not unusual for there to be machining chips , etc. in there the first time. If you email me please be sure to put something in the subj line to clue me in so that it don't just get junked. Let me know the best time to reach you please. I'll be gone for the rest of today=deer hunting. Perhaps, someone here will come up with an easier solution for you. Regards.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #11

600 Mile Service

Just to piggy back on Cookies statement, our Nomads have hydraulic lifter so the valves do not need to be adjusted. Fluid changes are a snap, accept if you have V&H baggers, then changing the final drive oil is going to be a little bit of a headache.. How often are you all changing your clutch/brake fluids?

Old 11-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
Advanced Member

600 Mile Service

Getting ready to change clutch fluid as it has turned black and nasty looking. Brake fluid looks fine.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 11-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #13

600 Mile Service

Quote:
Getting ready to change clutch fluid as it has turned black and nasty looking. Brake fluid looks fine.
So how would a closed system get contaminated to turn your fluid black?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #14

600 Mile Service

Brake fluid just absorbs moisture from the air like a sponge. There are always microscopic holes in the hoses, fitting threads, cover gaskets etc. When I had my Beemer I had to change fluid every year as part of routine maintenance. Thay have improved since then to once every two years.
I haven't flushed the fluid in my trucks brakes system in a long time and got scolded by my mechanic buddy last inspection. It does look pretty bad! Oops.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #15

600 Mile Service

Quote:
I did take it in one time for the 600 miles check up but then I got smart and havent been back since.

DIDO. I do most of the service myself now. Unless it's something I dont feel good about doing. But keep ALL reciepts and write down everything you do to it and show dates and times in a log maintence book. Owners manual works good for that. I event akes pics of my mileage when I change it for even more proof. They know it's my bike because I have custom speedo plate on mine so there is know way I could cheat by taking a pic of another nomads dial.