Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 01-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Nissan Sentra

Anyone own a 2013 or newer Nissan Sentra ?

If so do you have a problem with excessive moisture that fogs up all the windows ? I have to have the rear defogger on all the time and the rear passengers windows are fogged up all the time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Advanced Member

My wife has a 2013, haven't had that problem.

1984 shadow 750 - R.I.P.
2004 vstar classic 1100 - traded for my first born
2006 Nomad 1600, black
Batwing fairing with full stereo
Vance & Hines dual baggers

Old 01-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Then there is definitely something wrong with my Sentra. I have never had a car fog up so badly. The advice I got yesterday from the local Nissan dealer was to use the recirculation button. I thought that would make matters worse, and it did.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

I don't own that particular model but that did happen to me once while driving my wife's car. I noticed that there is a button near all the rest that opens and closes vented air from outside ( not the cold to hot dial ) . I keep it on the outside air circulation and the windows never fog up. Hope this helps . My two cents

Old 01-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
Top Contributor

That option is not on the Sentra. There is a recirculation button but what that does is close off fresh air coming in from the outside, not a good solution for removing moisture which causes the fogging. No matter what I have tried the windows keep fogging up really bad. I have never had a car before where the rear defogger has to be on all the time, and the rear passenger windows are never clear.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

You may have a small heater core leak . Could be loose hose clamps or the heater core itself has sprung a leak. Does it smell kinda sweet when the car is warmed up and the fan on full ?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Top Contributor

No smells at all. It all started when the weather got cold. I have researched the issue and a heater core leak could be a possible problem although my carpets are not wet.

Could a plugged cabin filter be an issue ? This would not allow fresh air to enter the cabin ? I doubt that is the issue as the car only has 30,000 kms.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #8

I would check it and see if it's plugged . Lightly blow it off with an air compressor or replace it. Surprising how much dust and debris can get in there.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
Top Contributor

I will take a look at the cabin air filter when the weather improves.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #10

You would smell the sweet smell of antifreeze if you had a heater core leak. I take it this car has no air conditioning. With most cars with air, it automatically comes on with the defroster and quickly takes care of fogging.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
Top Contributor

It does have A/C and it comes on with the heater. No option to shut it off when you have the heater set to front defog.

Still the car fogs up really bad even with the A/C and heater on.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
It does have A/C and it comes on with the heater. No option to shut it off when you have the heater set to front defog.

Still the car fogs up really bad even with the A/C and heater on.
Are you sure the AC is working, do you hear the compressor engage when you put on the defrost?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #13

I had two Grand Marquis that both did it, I never did find out the cause ore cure for the fogging.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it automatically comes on with the defroster and quickly takes care of fogging.
This is true,,,,but,,,, I had the AC drain get plugged on one vehicle
causing moisture build up and years later had one leak into the floor board where the air box drain went through the fire wall. Moisture traveled through the carpet and gathered under the rear seat in a low spot in the floor pan causing the rear windows to fog. Could also be a leak around the rear wind shield.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #15

This has happened to me on 3 vehicles in my life. All three turned out to be the heater core as the problem. Heater cores used to be cheap in cost but the manufactures came up with unique ways to make dealers money. On my Ford Grenada I had to remove the dash to replace the heater core. On one of them there was antifreeze leaking into the cab. On the second you could smell the sweet smell of anti freeze. The 3rd there was neither, just the windows fogging up. The cheapest thing you can do is get some stop leak like Bars Leaks. I was always told to use the powdered stuff not the liquid. Apparently it works like solder when it gets hot and plugs the leak like a soldering effect. At this point you have nothing to lose by trying a tube in your radiator to find out if it helps. I believe it may also help if the hoses for some reason are not on tight. anyway that's my experience 3 out 3 were the heater core.