Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada East Group

Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Extended Warranty

My dealer is trying to convince me that I should take out the Extended Warranty on my 2010 Nomad. They have a deal where by if I do it before March 21 I get a $200 in store credit.

I never take extended warranties (electronics, appliances or cars) and wasn't going to now.

I would really welcome any comments regarding this subject and your recommendations. I am new to Kawasaki don't know the experience with warranty claims on Kawi's.

Thanks

KawaNOW #01650
Bell City Riders #21
SCRC 329
2010 Nomad (The Beast)

Previous Bikes
2008 - 900 Vulcan Classic
1958 HD HydraGlide

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Extended Warranty

Pro: The warranty could easily pay for itself with one repair.
Con: You may never need it.

My thoughts: It's a gamble. Personally I don't buy them either. I don't have one on my Nomad. I am capable of doing my own work, though - not everyone is. Ymmv.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #3

Extended Warranty

I don't buy them either, but like Scott said, its a gamble.
I can do most of my own work so it doesn't matter to me as much. And chances are that if nothing has gone wrong the first few months, it probably won't. Nomads are pretty good bikes for the most part, my bike had an extended warranty when I bought it used, it was three years old at the time and never required any warranty work at all.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Pro: The warranty could easily pay for itself with one repair.
Con: You may never need it.

My thoughts: It's a gamble. Personally I don't buy them either. I don't have one on my Nomad. I am capable of doing my own work, though - not everyone is. Ymmv.
Thanks Guys,

Unfortunately I don't have a place at my condo where I can do my own work and frankly I am not all that confident at doing things myself. When I was younger I would attempt things but not so much today. I agree in principal with your comments about a gamble and for the most part it has been ok.

Like Steve says they are solid bikes; one of the reasons I chose the Nomad. But who knows. Going to see what others have to say as well.
KawaNOW #01650
Bell City Riders #21
SCRC 329
2010 Nomad (The Beast)

Previous Bikes
1958 HD HydraGlide

Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Extended Warranty

I look at it this way...Kawasaki wouldn't offer extended warranties if they lose money on them. They aren't benevolently looking out for us. They know the vast majority of the extended warranties sold are pure profit. On the slim chance of a serious and costly repair, they might have to eat the loss. I'm willing to take the risk. Note the warranty doesn't cover everything - no "wear parts", like brakes, clutch, tires (obviously), hoses, fluids, bulbs, etc. So you are going to be paying for those anyway.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

Extended Warranty

Thanks Scott,

Good insight.
KawaNOW #01650
Bell City Riders #21
SCRC 329
2010 Nomad (The Beast)

Previous Bikes
1958 HD HydraGlide

Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #7

Extended Warranty

Good product doesn't need extended warranty < Thats my thought and have always went with that :) didn't get burned yet! and if I did all the extra money I saved would pay for it:)

Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Extended Warranty

When I bought my 02 new they tried to sell me an Extended Warranty from Kawasaki for it. It at the time was over 1G and I didn't think I would need it, so declined. I like CJ and others stated can do my own work, and fortunately now have a place I can do it.
I am SOO glad I didn't get it, as I have NEVER had any major problems with it. I replaced the clutch spring, but that would not have EVER been covered by the extended warranty anyway, so as others also stated, would have been pure profit for the dealer and Ma Kawi if I did purchase it. I've known a lot of Vulcan owners over the years who have purchased the ext warr. and never got anything from it, other then a false sense of security that if something happens there covered...NOT...in most of those cases if you READ it very carefully, your stuck taking it to the dealer for all service work. HD gets there owners on that point as to why an oil change service and basic checks can cost 200++ when the bill comes
If you are someone who always buys ext warranties on things, then to you it's a good deal. For those who normally don't it's not going to be a big deal.
Just READ the FINE print VERY carefully before you decide is my best advice on what YOU should do!!!

Scott

Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #9

Extended Warranty

I am in the same situation right now, my 2008 is coming to the end of it's 2 year warranty and I can purchase the extended warranty if I do it before the first one runs out. I am quite capable of handling most repairs and have the tools and place to do it.
It is a gamble, but I am thinking about buying it more as an insurance policy, you take out collision coverage and hope you never need it, but it is a bit of comfort knowing you have it if the sh*t hits the fan. Without the warranty I would still be on the hook for the parts anyway. I also find as I am getting older I just sometimes feel like I want to do the things that I want to be doing and spark my interest, not so much things I need to do. I guess you could read that as screw it let someone else do it, I am busy having fun doing such and such a project.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #10

Extended Warranty

CNC - I know what you mean and that is why I am struggling with the question. I am about 11 years older and most of the work I have done is through my dealer (who is excellent by the way - his is Kawi only).
I can afford the warranty do see it as insurance but like the other posts it is a matter of value. If something happens the dealer is going to get it to fix but how much of it would be covered by this warranty???

I have a few weeks to make my decision and will give it some serious thought. The only reason I took a second look was the savings on the cost with the $200 store credit he is offering in this promo.

Thanks again for the input. All great food for thought ???
KawaNOW #01650
Bell City Riders #21
SCRC 329
2010 Nomad (The Beast)

Previous Bikes
1958 HD HydraGlide

Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Extended Warranty

I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything. Fortunately I have never needed it. I have been lucky through the years. Purchased a television and the picture tube went out but it was covered under the original warranty. Bought a 2007 Honda VTX1300R and had a problem with the wiring harness and it was covered under the original warranty. Most things that will happen usually occur within the original warranty. The only extended warranty I have is my life insurance. I know something is going to go wrong one day. The question is when?

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #12

Extended Warranty

Thanks Gene,

I have life insurance also and sometimes wonder why I want to leave all that money to my Ex ::)

I am really torn about this. If it wasn't that the net price is attractive I wouldn't even consider it - but like CNC says it is nice to let the others do it so I can play. Thing is will I pay anyway since there are so many limits on what is actually covered.

Anyway it is an interesting dialog.
KawaNOW #01650
Bell City Riders #21
SCRC 329
2010 Nomad (The Beast)

Previous Bikes
1958 HD HydraGlide

Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Extended Warranty

I wouldn't tell anyone to buy or not buy a warranty. I myself don't buy them. I have never received any value from an extended warranty. If someone else perceives a value in one, it's their call.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #14

Extended Warranty

It is in the end a judgment call on what you feel is right for you. I have bought extended warranties on different products and never had a problem, other times it payed off and still other times not bought and wish I had. What does kill me is going to the big box store electronic places and the kid pushes trying to get you to buy the extended warranty on a $150 dollar DVD player or something, at that price it is a throw away item, more expensive stuff I think about it.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136