Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #1

Patriot Guard Riders

Do any of you ride on Patriot Guard missions?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #2

Patriot Guard Riders

Good question. I have always wondered what the Patriot Guard is?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #3

Patriot Guard Riders

:) I have applied for membership and apparently gotten it but have received nothing other than admission. It is a worthwhile cause, go to their website for further info

Old 10-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #4

Patriot Guard Riders

I am not; but have seen this group in the news on occassion. I guess I'll ck their website out a bit later tonight.

Are you interested in it meanstreak or just wondering?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #5

Patriot Guard Riders

Just wondering . I've been riding on missions for about 2 and a half years.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

Patriot Guard Riders

meanstreak031- how does one get more involved with missions. Thankfully we haven't had many in our area but i would like to do more if possible. Could you tell me how to do that! When I contacted officials here I received no response. THANKS :)

Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #7

Patriot Guard Riders

Meanstreak, I may ck into also like Abbo.

I ck'd out the website but doesn't look like there is a "chapter" near me; but will contact them to find out more anyway.

While my time will become extremely limited for the immediate future; I would like to help our fallen soldiers and their families in some small way.

I read a year or so ago where a radical "religious" group was harrassing families of fallen soldiers at the funerals and graveside services. The Patriot Guard started attending the funerals and in several circumstances came face-to-face with the "radical" group -- keeping them "at-bay" so they couldn't get close enough to the families or services.

I thought what they did was extremely admirable -- although somewhat dangerous to some degree, as I understand that radical group looked for confrontation/violence and then would sue those involved.

I understood the radical group had a stable of high-powered attorneys that made life miserable for those sued. However, I also read where a couple sympathetic judges threw their cases out in a few states -- thus starting the downfall of that group.

Either way; what a sick bunch of b@st@rds -- and I am glad the Patriot Guard was instrumental in helping to stop the nonsense.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Patriot Guard Riders

I saw a Patiot Guard rider riding a black Nomad here in Bartonville, IL. Didn't have a chance to talk with him.

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #9

Patriot Guard Riders

The website is a national website. The only real breakdown is in state groups. There is a place to register for the national. The best way to get info is to send an e-mail to the state captain and get on the state wide e-mail list. That sometimes can take a while as they are all busy. There is a confirmed missions list on the website that also gives the information.
The PGR has grown by leaps and bounds. When I registered two and a half years ago I think I was number 33,XXX, and now I think the list is over 150,000.
The national website outlines guidelines fairly well, and when one goes on that first mission things are covered well at the riders meeting. One thing to remember, the PGR avoids confrontation with protestors. We try our hardest to just ignore them. Pretend they do not exist. We are there for the family and to honor the fallen hero.No more, no less. But again, that is all covered.
I think it is a worthwhile endeavor.I'll also be glad when there are no more funeral missions.

Mike

Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #10

Patriot Guard Riders

Here is a link to the national website.

http://www.patriotguard.org/

Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #11

Patriot Guard Riders

I joined the original group. The group the founder got kicked out of by a group that found that he didn't protect himself legally. It would be like a group kicking Trip out of Kawanow. The founder didn't want the PGR dismantaled and left. The new group fired the IL. State Captain and then went after the IA State Captain and run him off. I left when they left and haven't looked back. Almost everyone that use to ride with them don't anymore and a lot of missions have no riders anymore. I applaud anyone that can oversee the issuse as it really is important. I thought the group would reform under the original founder, but hasn't.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #12

Patriot Guard Riders

I don't ride with a new group or old group. I ride to show honor and respect. Period.
I joined early on myself. Here in Nebraska there are a lot of folks that have been around for several years. When I joined, twister was still very much involved. As the group has grown it also evolved. I don't agree with all the goings on,or even the way it has spread itself, but I try to ignore the political b/s and just do missions that I can.Whether you agree with certain individuals or not, the fact remains that the missions take priority.
All one has to do is ride to a mission, take part, and leave. If it does not suit you, don't go back.
Missions aren't about the PGR, they are about the family and the fallen hero. I don't usually even ride with anyone to the meeting place. I prefer to ride by myself. Gives me time to think about what I am doing, and why I am doing it.
That being said, it is an individual decision for one to make for themselves. I am but one person in a flag line, and the origins and politics of the PGR are nowhere in my mind at that time.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Patriot Guard Riders

I signed up at their websites a couple years ago. I never went on a mission as it's usually during the day when I work, and it's usually not near by. Oh well.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #14

Patriot Guard Riders

Like I said, I'll ck into it further. I am like meanstreak, I am concerned about the families of the "fallen" during such a difficult time. As long as the support is organized and respectful I would feel that the families of the fallen would appreciate all that come to the services.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417