Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #1

Liquid Cooled

Last week there was a large group of bikes that headed to Milwaukee from Rockford for the 105th HD birthday. I heard from a couple of the guys at work that was in this group that when they got closer to Milwaukee and the bikes got backed up that some of the HDs had to pull over and shut off to cool the engines down.

One of the main reasons that I have always owned a Kawasaki is the fact that they are liquid cooled. I do both city and country riding and on a hot summer day in the city traffic it just makes sense. Last year, HD designed models with a liquid cooling system but got a lot of flack back from owners that it takes away from the bike.

Now I am not a HD basher and I admire the history and the following of the HD bikes, but why would someone spend all that money for a HD and not want the cooling system to save the engine from premature damage?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #2

Liquid Cooled

Gofs99;

My business partner rides a HD and went to Milwaukee. He said the same thing.

They got into Milwaukee and everywhere they went traffic was backed up. The wait made their bikes so hot that a strong "burnt" smell started. He said he never smelled that before on his bike to that degree and began to get worried/scared that the bike was getting damaged. I didn't have the heart to tell him at that temp the damage had already occurred -- he just may not see the results for some time down the road when the engine grinds to a halt someday.

They also pulled over to let their bikes cool-down; but he said that it was a constant problem for them in the traffic with their bikes overheating.

Overall he said they had fun; but that it was way too crowded; and that they didn't get to do or see nearly as much as they wanted or thought they would.

I too am glad to have a water-cooled engine in the Nomad. I don't have to worry about that problem; at least not to the degree they do (no pun intended). My partner has made the comment he wished his bike was water-cooled and wondered why HD hadn't added that to the design in all there models. He likes my Nomad mostly for the water-cooled feature.

I told him I had heard the same as you -- HD got so much "slack" about it that they backed-off the idea; which is really too bad and in the end may be a big problem for them as other manufacturers move out ahead of them.

You know it would seem they could offer the system; and if you didn't want it you could order it without a radiator.

Anyway; having a customer-base that doesn't want change is going to be a big problem for HD in my opinion someday.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #3

Liquid Cooled

I have often wondered the same thing about owning a HD. I was on a poker run last summer in Red Lodge, MT, and the temp was well over a hundred. The HD riders that I was with had to hang back and let the bikes cool as we made our way from stop to stop.
The other thing that I don't get about HD's are the vibration. I was in a bigger town here in ND last weekend, and three HD pulled up next to me at a stoplight. I was in our car, and I just sat there watching all three bikes' engines practically vibrate right off the bike! All three of them just shook and looked like all three could lose their motors at any time! I've never ridden a HD, so I guess I'm not qualified to judge them, but seeing how much most of them vibrate, I think it would drive me nuts!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #4

Liquid Cooled

I am not an expert either; however I do believe they have improved the vibration problem some with rubber-mounts; however the Nomad engine has "counter-balancers" in them that help to reduce or practically eliminate the vibration you see in HD's.

I am with you though; the vibration would drive me nuts. I have ridden a few HDs and am not sure I would want to ride the ones I rode for too many miles.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #5

Liquid Cooled

THE 2009 INDIAN will be air cooled....105cu starts at $30,000.00

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #6

Liquid Cooled

If they sell enough "Indians" to stay in business in this economy at that price while being air-cooled; I would be impressed; but not holding my breath.

I was just reading about the Police HDs; they are modified so that the rear cylinder can be shut-off during slow traffic or parade-duty to help keep it cooler. Rather interesting I thought. Wonder why they just don't go ahead an add it to their regular models -- what would another $1,000 matter on the overall price tag?

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #7

Liquid Cooled

I would think sooner or later HD will be liquid cooled in order to meet emissions

Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #8

Liquid Cooled

Sitting at stop lights and while idling HD's vibrate rally bad, even the new ones. Once the driver gives it some throttle they smooth out. Watch the next time you see one at a light.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #9

Liquid Cooled

Look at the motor mounts on your Nomads.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:25 AM   #10

Liquid Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
I was just reading about the Police HDs; they are modified so that the rear cylinder can be shut-off during slow traffic or parade-duty to help keep it cooler. Rather interesting I thought. Wonder why they just don't go ahead an add it to their regular models -- what would another $1,000 matter on the overall price tag?
I was under the impression that this was one of the changes they were considering for the '09 models.

Thanks for letting another Pacific NW guy jump in on your thread,
Rich

Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #11

Liquid Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksaw
Quote:
I was under the impression that this was one of the changes they were considering for the '09 models.

Rich
If they considered it; they didn't include it -- unless it is an option choice -- which it may be since the "police" bikes have them. Obviously it exists. I am sure if you are willing to pay extra they will do whatever you want.

But as far as I can tell, it has not been made available.

PS: welcome to the NCR site!!!

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Liquid Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksaw
Quote:

Rich
Jump in anytime!

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #13

Liquid Cooled

Is your passport in order ? LOL.