Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #1

Quieter Shifting

I've racked up 1000km on the new Voyager and am enjoying her more and more every day. I played around with shifting technique and found that gently preloading the shifter makes a huge difference. 1-2 and 2-3 will never be quiet but... here's the difference.

Slow shifting: Off throttle, squeeze clutch all the way back, heel on shifter, off clutch and on throttle. All slow and deliberate.

1-2 POW!
2-3 CLUNK!
3-4 clunk
4-5 clunk
5-6 clunk

Pre-Load shifting: Rest Heel lightly on shifter, back off throttle slightly /squeeze clutch slightly/more pressure on shifter (this bit is timed fairly quickly), off clutch on throttle.

1-2 CLUNK
2-3 clunk
3-4 snick
4-5 click
5-6 quiet click

I found that I really had to brush up on my shifting technique, but it's made a world of difference.

Now, this being said, if you're ham-footed on the preload, you're going to burn and otherwise wreck your shift forks. So be gentle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by otter; 07-06-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #2

You'll get use to the noise and won't even notice it after a while.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 07-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

I can only speak for the Nomad but I can shift through the entire gear spectrum with only a click, even 1 to 2. Not bragging just learned a way to decelerate, pull in clutch and press the shift lever all at the right time. Never tried it on a Vaquero or a Voyager.

Last edited by OldSchool; 07-06-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #4

I let off the throttle a little as i'm pulling the clutch sharply, firm shift with heel and i'm rolling on the gas. I tend to shift very quickly (clutch in and out immediately) and have never noticed any noise....might be why my mileage stinks to high heaven though.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

I find keeping the rpm on the low side makes for softer shifts . I as well never grab full clutch throw unless I'm accelerating harder than normal . Make your shifts in one fluid motion and you'll hardly notice them .
PCV

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Advanced Member

The 1700's have real heavy duty "industrial-like" transmissions in them. My Vaquero has given me no problems shifting whatsoever and most of the time when upshifting I barely have to pull the clutch lever in, just a little. Just a good firm pull on the shifter or firm step on the heel and good to go.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

I rarely use the clutch for up-shifts. Learned to shift on my mean streak by applying a pre-load to the shifter, burp the throttle slightly and pop it into gear. Works great on my vaquero. Hardly any clunk nose and makes for a super fast shift especially when getting on it! ;-)