Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-30-2024, 11:43 AM   #1

LED turn signal conversion

Hey all,

I know there are a couple threads on here about replacing the turn signals with LEDs and to be honest, it all sounded confusing and intimidating. I'm here to tell everyone that it is actually pretty simple and just a matter of finding the right wires to tap into. Strap in, this is going to be a longer post:

First off, you absolutely have to install a diode if you want to replace the front ones but if you are only doing the rear, then a diode isn't needed. That being said, the diode was way easier than I thought. You will also need 4 (yes 4) resistors, one for each light. You will find my parts list at the end of the post.

Step one was finding where and how to install the diode as I thought that would be the most difficult part. I actually found it to be simple. Where the speedo plugs in on the fuel tank, there are two wires you need to cut; one green and one grey. The best part is they are right next to each other. Cut these wires and splice the two ends from the plug to the two diodes. The other ends of the diodes should be spliced together and then connected to one of the wires coming from the speedo (it doesn't matter which one). The leftover wire should be connected to a good ground.

Second step was wiring in diodes. I use the quick splice crimp connectors that do not require stripping back part of the wire. I know some guys hate these so you can use what you want. Bascially you connect one end of the resistor to the hot wire going to the turn signal and the other to ground. You absolutely can connect both resistors to the same ground wire. I did to make it easer. You also have to mount the resistors to metal as they do get a little hot. I clamped mine to the frame that holds the headlight in place. I also used spade connectors on the wires so they could come off easily when I needed to remove the headlight.

Front is now done!

For the rear, I used two resistors and mounted them on the sides of the frame under the driver's seat. You may find a better location but that was the best I could find especially away from plastic parts that could melt. Again, you need to find the two turn signal wires on the harnes that feeds into the rear fender. One end of the resistors spliced into each of those wires and the other end to ground.

Here is a slide show of the process with a wiring diagram.

Take your time and make sure you have good connections and that your resistors are not in contact with any plastic or wires that could melt. I'm guessing this should be the same on most Kawasaki cruisers with some difference in wire colors. The project sounds a bit involved but if you have general knowledge of 12v wiring and some common sense, you should get it done in an hour or so. Here is the parts list of what I used:

Diode kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Resistors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Front turn signals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rear turn signals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-01-2024, 06:41 PM   #2

Thanks for composing a nice guide.

Vernon

Old 05-02-2024, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniac View Post
Thanks for composing a nice guide.

Vernon
You're welcome. There is a lot of information out there but nothing that was very clear. I have done a lot of electrical work on cars but never worked with diodes. I had to do an hour of reading just to find out what a diode did. For anyone who doesn't know, they allow current to flow in only one direction. Once I figured this out and how the front signals and instrument cluster are wired, the diodes made sense. That was the hardest part.

From there I figured it would be best to make a simple guide for rewiring everything to make it work.