Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

Hot Weather riding tips

With the high summer temps upon us, what are some tips for riding in this intense heat and humidity? Any concerns or cautions with the bike to be mindful of?

Reason asking, I'm leaving for an 1100 mile ride (over 2 days). This is my first Summer with my 07 1600 nomad, and it gives off a LOT more heat than my commuter 750cc Honda.

I'm sure dehydration is my biggest concern and I'm going to keep well supplied with fluids.

My neighbor, who just went from PA-Key west florida and back at memorial day, learned not to fill the tank at the gas pump and then go inside to the restaurant,... the expansion from the hot engine and temperatures caused it to overflow the tank!

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
VBA #02083

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #2

Leave at the crack of dawn - get most of your miles in before Noon.

Sun screen on all exposed skin

If you do not wear leather - then light colored clothing & Long sleeve white shirt (keep direct sunlight off arms)

Stop, drink, stretch and go. Stop, drink, stretch and go.

Cool vest and neck wrap if temp is going over 90.

I think the key is to get your miles in before it get hot. I would rather have a lazy afternoon than sleeping in the AM

Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Drink water! Lots of it. You want to drink enough that you have to pee regularly. Alternate with a Gatorade or Powerade every so often to replenish electrolytes lost due to perspiration. You don't want to get dehydrated.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74 View Post
Leave at the crack of dawn - get most of your miles in before Noon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Drink water! Lots of it. You want to drink enough that you have to pee regularly. Alternate with a Gatorade or Powerade every so often to replenish electrolytes lost due to perspiration.
+1

We recently rode in 100+ temps and the above suggestions are right on the money.

If you have a liner in your riding jacket, consider soaking it up with water and wear it under your jacket, it helps. If you have extra cash, they even sell evaporative cooling jackets...

Remember, if you're thirsty, it's already too late, must drink enough before you feel thirsty.

In extreme temps, you might hear strange noises from your fuel tank in addition to the infamous whistling... Try to keep the fuel gauge at no less than 2 bars, this should ensure the fuel pump is fully submerged in fuel.

Needles to say, check the coolant before you leave.

Enjoy your ride, there's nothing like crossing deserts.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #5

All of the above + a sunscreen type lip balm (Chapstick). Sun/wind burned lips hurt and look like a bad Botox job.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #6

What Mark said. I found out the hard way on my last trip. Took a week for my lips to heal,

Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Try to keep the fuel gauge at no less than 2 bars, this should ensure the fuel pump is fully submerged in fuel.
Actually, the bar gauge lost its accuracy in high temps and began showing 4 bars when it should 2 or 3. I suggest you monitor your fuel using tripmeter and keep the fuel pump submerged and back wheel turning.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I have the Zumo660 set for fuel reminders and my planned trip longest leg is 175 miles between stops for fuel and a leg stretch.

I hope this heat breaks, 100's from here to Chicago over the next few days.
VBA #02083

Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
All of the above + a sunscreen type lip balm (Chapstick). Sun/wind burned lips hurt and look like a bad Botox job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
What Mark said. I found out the hard way on my last trip. Took a week for my lips to heal,

There's another way to keep the lips moisturized... 8-)

Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
I took a 100 mile round trip ride this past weekend with the temp just above 100 degrees. My suggestion is to ride naked.

Everyone gave some great tips. I might add that if you get to feeling over heated find a shade to pull in and try to cool down some. Don't try to ride to far in one stretch.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #11

I found this article to be very useful when it comes to hot whether riding. http://www.soundrider.com/archive/sa..._youre_hot.htm I have people asking me all the time why I am wearing my gear in the high temperatures. Simple, the outside of my gear and my helmet are blistering, it could be my skin or my head. My riding pants stop most of the engine and road heat much better than just the jeans, too. Water is your best friend, our favorite saying down here is if you are the least bit thirsty you are already a gallon behind.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #12

Good advice is to ride early. I like to leave when I can just see clearly with the natural light. Cover up from the sun and wind. I use a balaclava under a 3/4 helmet with a shield. I like a long sleeve Cool Max shirt against the skin and cover this with a long sleeve white shirt or a Vanson Vent Max 4 jacket. Hands are covered with deer skin gloves with woven mesh backs and ventilated fingers. I use an evaporative cooling vest once it is in the low 90s. The cooling vest goes on the Cool Max shirt and under a jacket or white shirt. This helps to deliver the moisture closely to the skin. I like to cover the neck area under my helmet with a bandana too. All that is left is to drink often. Remember "Pee is clear; have no fear".
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #13

A lot of good points here !

Just to add a few.

An interstate biker I ride with swears by Pedialite, as a method of re-hydrating. Most soda's have caffeine, which de-hydrates you. Fountain Root Beer (not bottled) Ginger Ale, and 7-Up/Sprite do not have caffeine.

Water Wetter or Engine Ice added to your coolant will lower your engine operating temp.

I have Longhorn Dually pegs on my highway bars to get my feet away from the engine heat.

I have heard that the "waterproof" sun screens will not allow cooling as well as regular fomulas.
VBA # 02065 VROC #29763

Sold - 2006 Nomad Green/Silver - Cobra Light Bar & Luggage Rack, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Phat II Risers, Mustang w/backrest, Vista Cruise, Vance & Hines, PCIII, Kruiser Kaddy, Classic Engine Guard Chaps, Electrical Connection R,B,T LED Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light.

Current Ride - 15 Road Glide S.

Last edited by puckoach; 07-10-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckoach View Post
. . .
I have heard that the "waterproof" sun screens will not allow cooling as well as regular fomulas.
If you don't use water/sweat proof sunscreen around here, you need to cover your skin or you will loose it. The "regular" stuff lasts about 10-15 minutes. Even with high SPF water/sweat proof its re-aply after 2 hours exposure or a sunburn.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Move!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005