Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #1

Battery Bug Installed on Nomad

I’ve been wondering about the condition of the original (2006) battery in my Nomad. Over the past year, the trip odometer and clock have reset themselves a few times during start-up. I assume it’s due to a momentary drop in battery voltage. I installed Battery Bugs (battery failure warming system) on my two Goldwings and feel a lot better about the possibility of being stranded with a dead or failing battery.

However, mounting this roughly two inch square meter on the Nomad presented a problem because there is no fairing or logical place to mount it within sight when riding the bike. Since the Battery Bug has a low charge, high charge, and replace battery audible warning, I placed it on the left side cover so it is not visible when riding the bike. I can check the meter when I get on or off the bike, but it requires bending to see the display clearly. It would be easier to see on the other side cover, because of the way the bike leans on the side stand, but the cable didn’t exit the Battery Bug on the best side for that mounting location. After starting the engine twice, the Battery Bug indicates that my battery is 32 percent healthy. It will continue to monitor the battery health at each start and display an average reading. The alarm will sound at 10 percent.

The Battery Bug is attached to the side cover with adhesive backed Velcro. I drilled two 7/64-inch diameter holes next to each other in the edge of the side cover to secure the electrical cable with a small wire tie. The few feet of extra cable are tucked into the back of the side cover. Ring connectors on the ends of the cable are attached to each battery terminal.

The Battery Bug displays battery voltage and battery health in percent alternately, whether the engine is running or not. The amount of current this meter draws from the battery is probably as much as a digital wrist watch.

I bought the Battery Bug through Amazon.com for about $50, including postage. They are available at some auto parts stores. http://www.argusanalyzers.com/

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #2

Is it water proof

Old 08-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #3

Yes it is waterproof.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

I'm sure it's functional and all, but is that the best design they could come up with? I'm referring to the way the cable comes out of the side and is exposed. It would be much nicer if it connected through the back for a cleaner, finished look after it's installed. Not picking on you or how you mounted it, just the way the factory designed it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Buy and use a trickel charger, So far as I care the very best one costs 20 bucks at walley world. It is auto float, and anti sulfation pulse, rated at 1.5 amps. Best bang for the buck bar none. You will get to read that meter years longer on the battery you have now.

Is the cable long enough to make it to the risers?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #6

I've had two of those battery maintainers from Walmart fail. However, I still have about six of them. And I use the Harbor Freight maintainers. The cables on the motorcycle version of the Battery Bug is about six feet long.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

How old were the shumakers that failed? I had 2 fail as well but after 6 years. Ain't nuthin lastin forever any more, except for the Trade Silver I make. It won't last forever either, but it will last better than 400 years.

Nice to know you could place that batt bug where you could see it ridin'.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #8

Damn, that is one ugly lookin' unit.

When the trip odometer and clock start reseting themselves on my Nomad I will just buy a new battery , thank you. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

That looks pretty bad attached to the side cover in MHO. You could just invest in a "Battery Tender" like has been suggested, and then send that monitor to me where I can mount it in my fairing. {it sounds like you don't have a fairing} Just a thought.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 08-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
How old were the shumakers that failed? I had 2 fail as well but after 6 years. Ain't nuthin lastin forever any more, except for the Trade Silver I make. It won't last forever either, but it will last better than 400 years.

Nice to know you could place that batt bug where you could see it ridin'.
The failed Shumakers were much less than 6 years old. I have a voltmeter on the handlebars on the Nomad, so I don't need another one in sight. Also, the Battery Bug is not illuminated. I don't think the Battery Bug looks great on the side cover, but my sheep skins don't look great on the seats either. And also, I don't look great on the bike. We sort of match.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Tell ya the truth I don't think anyone on here looks all that great, I sure don't. I could be mistaken for a dog biskuit. I got better luck than you with the shumaker chargers. Mine see ice and snow, not on the bike of course.

I got a ciggy butt fittin' voltmeter than reads batt level I guess a sort of % That lives on the bike til fall and with the battery comes in, or goes in any other vehical. It is illuminated, and runs 24/7 on the bike. it was under 20 bucks at walley world too. Works good, but is ugly.

I got 2 older of the same thing not illuminated. One in the cage one in the van.

IMO a nomad and all bikes should have either a amp meter or a volt meter.

The main fault with ciggy butt plug n' play is water can get at it. I cured that with a rear wheel clyinder dust boot modded just a bit. I just wish I knew what it came off of. It fits snug on the male pod of the plug n' and the cut out was just to clear the L bracket typical of a walley world lighter socket.

Having a power take off can be handy too, and since i smoke I might need the lighter that lives in the mesh saddle bag pocket. My bic worked good, year ago after I hit that jeep that hit that moose

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
That looks pretty bad attached to the side cover in
I'm up with today's lingo. Or should I say I'm not down?

Is that bad as in bad or bad as in good?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

That battery bug seems like a good idea. Be kind of nice to know the condition of your battery at all times. I do use the battery tender but being able to know the condition of your battery all the time sounds good.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181