Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

My review of the Scootworks PhatRiser for Vulcan 1700

My review of the Scootworks PhatRiser for Vulcan 1700…

Fit:
The fit is “okay”… but “okay” on an item of such importance, the handlebars, is less than acceptable. The bolts that go through the triple clamp don’t have a large enough diameter for the hole that they fit through, thus the risers no matter how much you tighten them will move around after you hit a few good bumps at speed. I have yet to find a way to keep my bars from going crooked after a couple hundred miles and I have to loosen the nut on the bottom and adjust them back at least once every couple of weeks so far.
The inside cut of the clamps is entirely too smooth, so I also have to loosen the clamps and adjust my bars back upward again every couple of weeks. Also completely unacceptable.

Finish:
The finish is flat black SPRAY PAINT!? The first day I installed the risers, I lightly tightened the clamps so I could adjust the bars up and down to find where I wanted them to sit “permanently”, though it’s far from permanent since they move. While adjusting them up and down, the paint started peeling off the inside cut of the clamps, thus taking some of the paint from the visible part of the risers with it. Again, completely unacceptable.

Price:
$119.95 is right up there with the rest of the ‘competition’, and if these were of any quality whatsoever that would be an acceptable price. They do not resemble anything of craftsmanship whatsoever, they simply look like someone wanted to make a quick buck and tossed a block of aluminum on the CNC machine for 15 minutes to pump out the quickest product he could without wasting too much overhead money to make them look even remotely attractive.

Overall Scootworks Review:
It took me 22 days to receive these when I ordered them, with not so much of an email from Scootworks other than the automated response from the shopping cart saying they got my money. I emailed Scootworks twice with no response before finally calling them about four days before I received the product to find out what the deal was, and getting someone on the phone was a task in itself.
Once I finally reached the owner on the phone, if I understood him correctly he explained that he doesn’t start manufacturing these risers until he has a large enough order to do so, then he starts pumping them out and sending them off for coating…which again is none other than spray paint.
Two weeks after I received the product, I finally got a reply to my original email stating it went to their junk mail folder and they were checking if I had received the product. When I responded with what I thought of the quality of their product, I once again haven’t heard a word back from them.

Summary:
I do not recommend anyone buy this product, let alone do any business whatsoever with Scootworks. Check them out on the Better Business Bureau website. I’m not the only customer who has something to say about them, and the BBB rates them with an “F” rating. Many others have had to wait sometimes months to receive a product that is supposedly in stock, and some have never received the product that Scootworks was very quick to take the money for in the first place.
This company is a joke, and does not deserve the support of the motorcyclist community.

-Duff-
Downed Bikers Association#1063

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Duff,

There has been major talk about Scootworks over on the VROC site. Many issues with him as of the last 4 to 5 years on products, some good but lately it has been more of the bad. Personally I won't deal with him.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Duff
I too was very disappointed in their product.
Originally I ordered Chrome risers since their site stated they were "in stock"
3 weeks later no risers, made a call, Chromer was backed up...3 more weeks later same story.
I ended up canceling the Chrome and just accepted the polished aluminum.
When I got them I about fell over
They had serious machining lines in them and when I called they said that this was an "acceptable finish" for aluminum....
Believe me I am a 20 year veteran of machining I could have dam near gotten a polished finish while still on the machine.
It's too bad, they had they potential to serve many bikers in general and they just don't seem to care...maybe family issues who knows...

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 07-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I've looked at some of their products but will not buy from them after reading your post
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Duff --- That's a great write up. Carries a lot more weight than just "I think they suck". I hadn't planned on buying anything from them but between your write up and some others I've seen, I damn sure won't now.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #6

Boy the reviews just keep getting better..... Yeah right! I been there and done that myself with (Dave Hockaday) @ Scootworks too..

Looks like I should manufacture some SWEET risers like the Phatt's and have nothing but great customer raves, like all fellow riders that have purchased my products.. I strive to do my best at a fair price. Nothing better than customer satifaction. Right
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Advanced Member

If anyone can do it...it would be you
If you do make them a bit more classy looking instead of a square block of aluminum

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 07-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

Hell yeah, I'd be one of your first orders! These things are bugging the piss out of me!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #9

I also emailed this review to the owner. No apology for a crap product, no offer to make it better, no reply period.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #10

My experience has been hit and miss with Skootworks. Mostly miss. After the last debacle I quit using them. The VROC site has miles of posts on the problems with Scootworks.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131 View Post
Boy the reviews just keep getting better..... Yeah right! I been there and done that myself with (Dave Hockaday) @ Scootworks too..

Looks like I should manufacture some SWEET risers like the Phatt's and have nothing but great customer raves, like all fellow riders that have purchased my products.. I strive to do my best at a fair price. Nothing better than customer satifaction. Right
If you could find a way to coat yours black and offer that, you'd be doing even more business! You make some great products, Joe! I'm a loyal customer from here on!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #12

Ordered some LA Choppers 14" mini apes today, should have them tomorrow. Gonna toss this Scootworks trash in a box till a later date when my buddy might be able to use them as a template to make something better and put my stock risers back on for the new bars.

Stock bars are 10's, so I figure 14" will be about a 3" up 1" pullback. Have a shop locally that will cut me a new brake hose for $20, which I'm sure I'll need with the new bars. Will post pics once I get them installed. Until then, here's the bars I ordered

Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
Top Contributor

I was never big on the swedged look but 1 1/4" diameters bars are a must.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #14

Got them today... turns out they're too wide for the fairing. Looks like I'm stuck with Hockaday's crap product for now, until I find a set of bars that are dimensionally identical to mine cept for the height.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
Top Contributor

All depends how much you want to pay for a set of bars. BR Customs (BR Bars) makes some outstanding bars. They're all custom made and I've never heard a bad word about them. Unfortunately, you'll pay for what you get. Figure around $500 if you want them in chrome. A bit less in black p/c. He has 1", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" diameters.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860