Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Forum Support & Feedback

Old 11-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #61

Come on Rick, don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel.
I did check to see where this thread originated to make sure I was allowed to post here.

Just stirrin' the pot guys, that's who I am, sometimes.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #62
Top Contributor

oldbikers --- I understand and I'm not offended.

rickyboy --- What difference does it make who's in what region? Just because I may not frequent western Canada (and admittedly, I don't) doesn't mean I don't have some worthy suggestions. I live in Indiana so I'm a member of the Northeast region. However, I will ride with the Central region (whichever includes IL/IA/etc) much more for logistical reasons. If I participate in the Central region on their rides, etc why shouldn't I be allowed to contribute in their decisions or voice my opinion to them? Even if, technically, I'm not part of "them", I'm still a part of them.

I won't try to convince anyone that I plan any trips to Western Canada in the near future (althought I'd love to ride up there some day). I still feel I (or anyone else) should feel a part of any and all regions unless it's a "leader only" sort of decision. To put it another way, what if you're planning the yearly excursion and I plan to attend? I should be allowed to voice my opinions about it.

That's about all I have to say on the subject. We can agree to disagree and I'm good with that. I'll still ride with ya!
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #63
Sr. Contributor

Separatists.
For the good of the VBA, united we ride.
If you have something posted in a regional board and don't want outside info injected, please state that at the begining. That way when it shows up on the 'new topics' thread we will know to stay out of your business. I have posted questions on the 'Northeast Region' thread. People from around the map have commented in it. Didn't bother me, we are all brothers in my mind. This is Mike's forum and it is open to all. Have a nice day.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #64

Is it just the time of year and people are suffering from "Bike Separation Syndrome" or something? Every body seems quick to jerk each others chain lately.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #65
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Is it just the time of year and people are suffering from "Bike Separation Syndrome" or something? Every body seems quick to jerk each others chain lately.
Maybe some people...but not me. This was taken Saturday at a roadside rest stop between here and Tucson:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010716_RSZ_003.jpg (65.5 KB, 14 views)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #66

I couldn't see the photo very well... there seemed to be some sort of purple object reflecting all the light in the picture! Just jabbing you...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #67
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
oldbikers --- I understand and I'm not offended.

rickyboy --- What difference does it make who's in what region? Just because I may not frequent western Canada (and admittedly, I don't) doesn't mean I don't have some worthy suggestions. I live in Indiana so I'm a member of the Northeast region. However, I will ride with the Central region (whichever includes IL/IA/etc) much more for logistical reasons. If I participate in the Central region on their rides, etc why shouldn't I be allowed to contribute in their decisions or voice my opinion to them? Even if, technically, I'm not part of "them", I'm still a part of them.

I won't try to convince anyone that I plan any trips to Western Canada in the near future (althought I'd love to ride up there some day). I still feel I (or anyone else) should feel a part of any and all regions unless it's a "leader only" sort of decision. To put it another way, what if you're planning the yearly excursion and I plan to attend? I should be allowed to voice my opinions about it.

That's about all I have to say on the subject. We can agree to disagree and I'm good with that. I'll still ride with ya!
Chris,
Let me clarify if I can. Everyone is indeed welcome at ALL VBA functions, rallies and thread posts.

All I was trying to get at was this-

Rickyboy and I live fairly close to each other...but are in different VBA regions. I would often go to the Western Canada board and comment on their stuff. He would regularly come to our NW board and do the same. All good. The region boards were OUR LOCAL places to have our own regional discussions, ride planning and event info.

Everyone was welcome, but you could not access that info from the main forum board. Given that, you were more likely to have members from your own region posting and commenting on threads in those local boards. This very simply made for closer relationships between members in any given region. If you wanted to post a comment on another regions board....you first had to actually go to their board ....now, you don't.

Those who remember how it was (like Oldbikers), get it....newer members like yourself may not, because you only know how it is now. Currently, you can access regional threads from the main forum board via the "New Posts or Today's Posts" list. In the past...you could not.

All this means is that we as a total group have lost a little bit of our local, regional independence. Think of the the VBA regions as little league teams. We all belonged to the same league...but each team had it's own identity and practice field. Now...it's like we are all wearing the same uniform.

I just know that traffic in the regional boards is WAY down from what it used to be...and maybe that is fine, I just don't know....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #68
Administrator

Netnorske...I apologize for not replying to your PM yet...I've been getting flooded with them so I just havent gotten to it yet. But I might as well reply here..

So basically youre saying youre seeing a lot more traffic in the regional boards from members who arent in that region. However, I dont think that has anything to do with a link in the menu bar that displays new posts. You say those forums werent accessible from the index page...how so? Theyve always been accessible from the main index page, even on the old forum. Whats the difference if someone clicks a 'new posts' search and accesses the forum that way, or just scrolls halfway down the page and clicks on each forum individually? And, I don't think many even use the "New Posts" link...I know I don't, and I've been using these brand of forums for 12+ years.

I really don't have an answer for you guys. Do you really want to start telling certain members that theyre not allowed to participate in your forum? That's a pretty bad idea. How would you even go about enforcing that?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #69
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Netnorske...I apologize for not replying to your PM yet...I've been getting flooded with them so I just havent gotten to it yet. But I might as well reply here..

So basically youre saying youre seeing a lot more traffic in the regional boards from members who arent in that region. However, I dont think that has anything to do with a link in the menu bar that displays new posts. You say those forums werent accessible from the index page...how so? Theyve always been accessible from the main index page, even on the old forum. Whats the difference if someone clicks a 'new posts' search and accesses the forum that way, or just scrolls halfway down the page and clicks on each forum individually? And, I don't think many even use the "New Posts" link...I know I don't, and I've been using these brand of forums for 12+ years.

I really don't have an answer for you guys. Do you really want to start telling certain members that theyre not allowed to participate in your forum? That's a pretty bad idea. How would you even go about enforcing that?
Mike,
Apparently I am having difficulty explaining this...and its okay...no worries. I am not trying to exlude anyone...ever.

The region boards have always been accessible from the main forum...yes....and we need that. There has always been a link to them from the main forum as there needs to be.

The difference is, that prior to the creation of the "New Posts" link (in the old forum), in order to read or post to threads in the regional forums, you first had to go into a regional board to even see those threads, which often times were related to that specific local region. The threads were not directly available via the main forum board. Anyone was (and is) welcome to go into any regional board and make comments....no exclusion whatsoever.

It gave each region a more localized forum specific for their area...as well as having the main forum board for more generalized topics. Now...ALL the topics show up on the main board via those "new" links. It has just had the unintended consequence of making the regional boards less localized...and more globalized. There is far less traffic in the regional boards than there once was, and what traffic there is...is from all over the map rather than the majority of the traffic being from those specific regions.

I have just been trying to somehow find a way to get back to where we were....getting those regional boards back to a more localized state...the way I believe they were originally intended...and seem to be having a difficult time getting this point across. The longer-standing members here get it...I can see that....the newer ones...not so much.

I hope this helps and I'm about winded from trying to 'splain it....lol.
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 11-22-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #70
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Mid life crisis, been there, done that...
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #71

Other members could always access all the regional boards, now its a little easier yet to do so. I think your explaining it well enough Kris, but I really fail to see that its that much of a big deal about who can post on the regional board. I don't think that will make the members of that region post anymore than they do now.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #72
Top Contributor

Maybe it's just me, but there seemed to be A LOT more traffic on the region boards back then. JMHO.
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #73
Administrator

I understand what you're saying, but I really don't think the "New Posts" link has anything to do it. And, the old forum had the same thing, a "New Threads" link.

Either way, what do you propose we do? Are you suggesting it be removed from the New Posts list?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #74
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I really don't think the "New Posts" link has anything to do it. And, the old forum had the same thing, a "New Threads" link.

Either way, what do you propose we do? Are you suggesting it be removed from the New Posts list?
I'm talking about the way the old forum worked before there WAS a "new threads" link. Before that feature showed up....you had to go into each individual board to read threads posted there....and you always dropped into your region board to check things out there.

Personally...I think excluding all regional board posts from the "new posts or today's posts" would be an excellent way to get us back to that place where the regional boards would indeed become the localized forums they once were. We will always have the main board for the larger more generalized issues.

They would still be open to anyone...you would simply have to make the effort to go to that board and read the threads, thats all. People would have to get back into the habit of looking there...a habit many of us (not everyone) have gotten out of....me included.

Any change in how the forum works however, would have to be blessed and authorized by Trip....and if he likes things the way they are...I'm fine with that. I have simply been trying to point out what has changed about the way those region boards work, and explain it in a way so everyone understands. I know the older members understand...many have said so.

If nothing else...maybe we could just try it for awhile and monitor the results. I'm willing to bet that traffic on those region boards will increase...and you will see what I mean by the traffic in them becoming more localized again. I could be wrong...but I believe that is how they were intended to work. The more local traffic on a region board...the closer the relationships of the people in that region become. Everyone will still be able to utilize all the forum boards, with the main forum being its own animal....but members will have a local forum to check as well.

Thanks Mike for trying to understand...I know maybe it does not make a ton of sense to you....but it does to guys like me, oldbikers, landman, ballast, TopCat, and the many other members who have been around here since the beginning......
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #75
Administrator

I understand what you're getting at. Personally, I don't think that's the problem.

I'll see what I can do though. Gonna take some serious customizing of the forum, but I *may* be able to make it happen. No promises though.

If I do get it to work, we'll leave it for a few months and see if it changes anything.

I'll keep you updated..