Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Advanced Member

"REDS" P.O.G. just went out

Just a short while ago when leaving the house heading to http://www.Luckenbachtexas.com/ just making the turn onto hwy 620 did my oil light come on.
Immediately pulling over and hitting the kill switch.
no pondering at all and called my wife to ask if she would pick me up.
Picked up the trailer and Red is back home.

I did the Clutch / Mean Streak spring rebuild 1.5 years ago and didn't want to modify the POG.

I helped a buddy last year and we used a OEM steel oil pump gear and removed the spindle on it. We then spot welded the steel on the existing shaft after removing the damage remaining OEM plastic gear wheel.
He has put on about 15k miles on his 99 since then.

So that's the plan

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

I seem to remember hearing about someone doing that but couldn't remember where I saw it. I had my engine split a SOG installed along with a new oil pump. Hate to hear these problems but you definitely have a plan to resurrect the bike. Good luck to you

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #3

post photo's of the modification procedure...it will be a great help to other's..

Old 10-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #4

It's fortunate that you noticed the oil pressure light right away. I'm wondering if you don't see the light right away but shut the engine off as soon as you feel the loss of power; would it be to late to salvage? I bought my 99 Nomad about six months ago with 12, 000 miles on it. Rusty Piper opened it up for me and found the plastic gear although it's teeth were all intact and looked to be in good shape. I don't have the $2000.+ the cycle shops want to swap it with a metal one. I don't have the skills to do it although I might be able to go the Judges (JOG) route. I'm also considering installing an oil pressure engine cutoff switch.

Sounds like you've got your situation under control Rolfe
Glad to hear it. Bart (aka CountyNomad)
Sold: Red 1999 Vulcan 1500 Nomad G1A
VBA# 2713, VROC #36569, TXVROC, American Legion Riders, VFW, VFD, NRA

Last edited by Bart; 10-12-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to HurtSoMuch Send a message via Skype™ to HurtSoMuch
also got the dredded '99..and still waiting on Judge's oil gear..been some weeks now..seems he is out with backproblems..hope it will get here soon...although winter is coming to Norway..so no rush
VBA #02163

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
It's fortunate that you noticed the oil pressure light right away. I'm wondering if you don't see the light right away but shut the engine off as soon as you feel the loss of power; would it be to late to salvage? I bought my 99 Nomad about six months ago with 12, 000 miles on it. Rusty Piper opened it up for me and found the plastic gear although it's teeth were all intact and looked to be in good shape. I don't have the $2000.+ the cycle shops want to swap it with a metal one. I don't have the skills to do it although I might be able to go the Judges (JOG) route. I'm also considering installing an oil pressure engine cutoff switch.

Sounds like you've got your situation under control Rolfe
Glad to hear it. Bart (aka CountyNomad)
Mac reckon's, and it make's sense to me, that the POG doesnt allway's break, but the teeth wear away gradually, slowly starving the engine of oil over a long period of time, and by the time the oil light come's on the damage is done.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #7

Lost the p.o.g on My 99 classic at 23000 ran low rpms to safe location. Aprox. a mile . No damage. Added the jog then snap ring came off a couple thousand miles later . Went back with s.o.g .Sold Bike with 34000 on it the next year .I was lucky enough to see the light as soon as it came on both times .Glad I was not on the Highway either time .

Old 10-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Mac reckon's, and it make's sense to me, that the POG doesnt allway's break, but the teeth wear away gradually, slowly starving the engine of oil over a long period of time, and by the time the oil light come's on the damage is done.
Does make sense. I'm too fond of my bike to allow her to endure a slow painful death.
Sold: Red 1999 Vulcan 1500 Nomad G1A
VBA# 2713, VROC #36569, TXVROC, American Legion Riders, VFW, VFD, NRA

Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Advanced Member

You can replace the gear and use the old shaft. Someone makes a kit to clean the plastic off and slide the gear on and it tightens with a set screw.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Advanced Member

http://tinyurl.com/k2kf5bh This is the kit.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #11

^^^ Thats seems quite expensive for a used gear in my opinion.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
^^^ Thats seems quite expensive for a used gear in my opinion.
I dont know what a new one would cost, but that shipped to England is $166 + whatever the custom's officer feel's like adding on the day, it could be another $30+. It's open to offer's, if i wanted it i would bid him in the bollock's at $50 Hey HurtsomuchHow much is it costing you for a new one shipped to you're local Fjord ?

Last edited by mick56; 10-13-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
Advanced Member

"REDS" pog updat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
Just a short while ago when leaving the house heading to http://www.Luckenbachtexas.com/ just making the turn onto hwy 620 did my oil light come on.
Immediately pulling over and hitting the kill switch.
no pondering at all and called my wife to ask if she would pick me up.
Picked up the trailer and Red is back home.

I did the Clutch / Mean Streak spring rebuild 1.5 years ago and didn't want to modify the POG.

I helped a buddy last year and we used a OEM steel oil pump gear and removed the spindle on it. We then spot welded the steel on the existing shaft after removing the damage remaining OEM plastic gear wheel.
He has put on about 15k miles on his 99 since then.

So that's the plan

After work today I pulled the side cover and clutch hub. Yes a few teeth were missing off the POG. Going by the book covering all areas where debris could fall into or on something. I proceeded to cut off the POG which I took my time and without issues it was off.

Next I fit my OEM steel oil pump gear (without the shaft) onto the the newly removed POG shaft.

Tuesday its off to the welder to spot weld the gear on.

I've taking some photos during the process and will post up.

I was extremely lucky as just about 2 miles from the house when the Oil Warning Light came on and immediately shut the engine off within 30 seconds.

"RED" will be trustworthy again, to be honest without the worry I have had waiting for the oil light to come on.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
After work today I pulled the side cover and clutch hub. Yes a few teeth were missing off the POG. Going by the book covering all areas where debris could fall into or on something. I proceeded to cut off the POG which I took my time and without issues it was off.

Next I fit my OEM steel oil pump gear (without the shaft) onto the the newly removed POG shaft.

Tuesday its off to the welder to spot weld the gear on.

I've taking some photos during the process and will post up.

I was extremely lucky as just about 2 miles from the house when the Oil Warning Light came on and immediately shut the engine off within 30 seconds.

"RED" will be trustworthy again, to be honest without the worry I have had waiting for the oil light to come on.
Brilliant mate, you fixed the problem,and i wish you well now all you have to worry about is, will it fall apart,like a few other's have, mine has a judge's, i think,but they have failed too. I still do'nt feel confident with yhe f---king thing at all. cheers:

Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Brilliant mate, you fixed the problem,and i wish you well now all you have to worry about is, will it fall apart,like a few other's have, mine has a judge's, i think,but they have failed too. I still do'nt feel confident with yhe f---king thing at all. cheers:
Just my 2 cents worth here. I used to work in a machine shop where we would make gears and shafts. When you say "some have failed too" do you mean the welds failed? Some of the gears and shafts I used to make were made of alloys that you could not weld to at all. Others were weldable but if they were hardened they had to be sent out and annealed, welded, then rehardned. I don't know what you have there but you might want to ask about before going to all the trouble. Just my 2 cents.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.