Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Im so Smart, Im SO DUMB

Next to Crashing and Theft my worst fear was realized today. Pulled up to a gas station and Do what I always do=Check for the key in my pocket before I turn it off. Only a year with the ability to remove the key after a start (2016 Vaquero), I thought it would be a good habit to have. I always keep a spare key on the bike just for those times, Because if you do, you will not need it. Well I needed it. Why because I left the key in the Seat release, and did not see it. When I was looking for the key in my pockets.

It was cold 33f, and I had my snow boots and snow bibs with the snowmobile jacket on. The jacket is wired through the liner for my electric gloves. I had to remove the seat to pull out the wires for the plug to wire the gloves before I left home. And left the key in there. What a dumb as# I am.

I don't care if you know But I thought I would share. I replaced the high side, side cover (when on the kickstand) 4mm Allen screw with a Philips head screw. That way when it happens you can ask anyone for a Philips screwdriver to access the key. And not a 4mm hex Allen key. Well it worked....to a degree. Had to use a Standard screwdriver but it worked to get the cover off. I told the other guy at the gas station what I did and he said he had a 4mm Allen in his truck. WTF, go figure this was an unexpected thing.

So when I got to my destination I saw the keys hanging there and Knew I was A dumb as#, but I made it there and back safely.
So Safe trip, Good Trip.

And All I really learned was I need a better scarf for the cold. And this Lamp and My thermos, and that's all I need. ( Steve Martin- The Jerk)

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #2

WELCOME to the start old age lol I always carried a spare for the oops moment :O I would say 99.9% of us have done the same thing as loosing our keys, then find it right where we left it in plain sight :O The plus side you were dressed warm and your nuts were not frozen to the seat lol

Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

You need to start driving the freakin car or truck when it is that cold.
Riding is supposed to be fun, in that cold I see no fun in it
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Riding is supposed to be fun, in that cold I see no fun in it
I take it you have never been snowmobiling? I was very warm and comfortable.Ralphies snow suit.jpg
My Mom Dressed me up, before I went outside

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 11-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #5

I’m with TC, plus I did one better than you. I started my bike removed the key, went back into my house for something, laid key down on dresser and walked back out to the bike, rode to gas station and turned bike off. No spare on board...so just saying, I win! I’m dumber than you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
I take it you have never been snowmobiling? I was very warm and comfortable.
My Mom Dressed me up, before I went outside
I have lived in the Tug Hill region of NY State all my life.
Of course I used to ride snow mobiles. But bundled up like a snowmobile rider is not my idea of fun on a motorcycle. Not to mention 33F here could mean black ice in some of the shaded spots on the road.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #7

Looks like there's three in the club . One morning I fired up the bike , removed the key and put the rear pad on the seat for my wife . We still had the factory seat at the time . About two hours into our ride we stopped for some lunch when I realized no key in my pocket so I must have left the key on the bench in the shop ( or so I thought ) . She had the spare so no worries , we had a great day . When I got home I looked for it and it wasn't there . It bothered me for two days until I went out to give the Vaq a good cleaning before another ride . Sure as Sh*& there it was , still in the side cover .

To this day I leave the key in the ignition just like the nomad . Works for me !

Old 11-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #8

You guys ever get the feeling the ability to remove the key from the ignition while the bike is running is what is getting you in trouble? I decided to ignore that feature and go with if the bike is running, the key is in the ignition. I don't keep any extra keys on the key fob to rattle or scratch. I keep a spare in my wallet just in case though.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #9

You guys must be ...getting old ......and to think all I do is frantically look for my phone while I am talking on it.😁

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 11-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Next to Crashing and Theft my worst fear was realized today. Pulled up to a gas station and Do what I always do=Check for the key in my pocket before I turn it off. Only a year with the ability to remove the key after a start (2016 Vaquero), I thought it would be a good habit to have. I always keep a spare key on the bike just for those times, Because if you do, you will not need it. Well I needed it. Why because I left the key in the Seat release, and did not see it. When I was looking for the key in my pockets.

It was cold 33f, and I had my snow boots and snow bibs with the snowmobile jacket on. The jacket is wired through the liner for my electric gloves. I had to remove the seat to pull out the wires for the plug to wire the gloves before I left home. And left the key in there. What a dumb as# I am.

I don't care if you know But I thought I would share. I replaced the high side, side cover (when on the kickstand) 4mm Allen screw with a Philips head screw. That way when it happens you can ask anyone for a Philips screwdriver to access the key. And not a 4mm hex Allen key. Well it worked....to a degree. Had to use a Standard screwdriver but it worked to get the cover off. I told the other guy at the gas station what I did and he said he had a 4mm Allen in his truck. WTF, go figure this was an unexpected thing.

So when I got to my destination I saw the keys hanging there and Knew I was A dumb as#, but I made it there and back safely.
So Safe trip, Good Trip.

And All I really learned was I need a better scarf for the cold. And this Lamp and My thermos, and that's all I need. ( Steve Martin- The Jerk)

I don't share your fears. I never fear getting a bike stolen. I do take precautions, but I know the insurance company is going to give me full NADA plus accessory coverage. I could never sell a bike for that much money. Of course, I have never had a bike stolen.

With Harley you have a key fob that stays in your pocket. If you leave it behind and you shut the bike off you have to know the secret code to override the security system.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 11-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
You guys ever get the feeling the ability to remove the key from the ignition while the bike is running is what is getting you in trouble?
I agree, doesn't take much to figure out this problem.
I leave the key in the ignition, haven't lost one, or left one at home yet
Like Norm said, just have that ket and only that key on the ring, no scratches.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

I agree with you guys on that . Ever since my mishap I've always left the key in the ign . Now I know where it is all the time . It's the only key on the ring with a nice leather " doohickey " No scratches .....

Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
You guys ever get the feeling the ability to remove the key from the ignition while the bike is running is what is getting you in trouble? I decided to ignore that feature and go with if the bike is running, the key is in the ignition. I don't keep any extra keys on the key fob to rattle or scratch. I keep a spare in my wallet just in case though.
I do the same but my spare key is on my key ring and my key ring always goes with me in my pocket. I need the key ring to lock the door to the garage.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #14

Don’t need to be reminded that I am old and dumb, my joints do that every morning. ��

Old 11-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #15

I don't know how the 1700s are, but on the 1600s, with the key out, as long as you don't turn it all the way CCW (just enough to shut the bike down), you don't need the key to turn it back to where you can start it.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381