Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Removing backrest. Need some help

Been following the solo seat thread and I have to admit the bikes look great. So today I removed the back seat, ugh, dirty, dirty fender. Now I get ready to remove the backrest with my allen wrench and realize it just wont fit in the groove between the chrome plate and the hard bags. So, I know I am going to have to loosen the hard bags, so my question is, do I just untighten the bolts on the inside or what.

I knew not to proceed any further because I will screw up a unscrewed screw. Have to admit it is going to look nice and should not take much time to put back, once I have the secret answer from someone here on the hardbags. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #2

Lay out a towel, undo the bags and set them on the towel. If you just loosen the bags, you could drop tools on them, plus, it's a great way to become more familiar with what lies underneath

I have press fitted some plastic heads to the two bolts that hold on each bag so I can do it without tools - something you might consider doing.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #3

Ah, what did chu say. Slow down. I dont even know how to remove hardbags. I see the 3 or 4 bolt on the inside. I figured if I unloosened them that would allow enough clearance for the allen wrench. I really dont wont to remove them as I will never get them back on. Trust me, I eat at Bojangles. So I thought I would lay a cloth over the top, unloosen them and then use the allen wrench.

Or, is what you are politely saying that just undoing the top bolts on the inside of the hard bags wont be enough. Again thank you.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #4

Do as mike says and have something to lay the bag onto. And when you take out the two mounting bolts holding it from the inside, the bag will still hang by a clip between the seat and the bag, so you will lift it straight up to get it completely free.

make sure that when you pull it up, you don't pull a rubber doughnut from the bottom up with it, then lose it.

Putting them back is the same in reverse. Make sure you get the protrusions lined up into the rubber doughnuts, get the clip lined up with its receiver, then put the bolts back.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjam
Ah, what did chu say. Slow down. I dont even know how to remove hardbags. I see the 3 or 4 bolt on the inside. I figured if I unloosened them that would allow enough clearance for the allen wrench. I really dont wont to remove them as I will never get them back on. Trust me, I eat at Bojangles. So I thought I would lay a cloth over the top, unloosen them and then use the allen wrench.

Or, is what you are politely saying that just undoing the top bolts on the inside of the hard bags wont be enough. Again thank you.
I was typing as you were posting this and missed it.

I don't think loosening the two mounting bolts from the inside will do what you are hoping for. The clip that I mentioned will prevent you from tilting the bag out. You will have to take the two bolts out, and lift the bag up.

It really is easy, try it and you'll believe it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

There's 2 bolts inside each saddlebag about a foot apart. I think you need a 10mm wrench or socket to remove them. Once they are out, lift the bag up and to the outside. Lay them on a blanket so you don't scratch them. Installation is reverse of removal, be sure to get the nubs on the bottom into the holes on the lower bag supports.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #7

I do believe, I do believe. I can do that. Thank you

Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #8

trjam, here's a picture of the rubber doughnut things that the protrusions at the bottom of the bag go into.

And here are the two bolts that you need to take out. The only thing that is missing is the small (1 inch maybe?) U-shaped hook that lines up with a little receiver notch. You don't have to take it off, it's hooked to the bag, it just needs to go back into its receiver when you put the bag back on.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to dabull

Once you get the saddlebags off and start on the backrest, be mindful that when you get the bolts off, the back rest could shift.....so either keep a hand on it, or have a helper do it for ya. Slow and easy...heck I even did it and didn't bangem up:)

Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #10

thanks all, solo tommorow. Till spring when the wife wants to crawl her fat a@@, that ual do pig, that ual do.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Advanced Member

While you have the bags off, remove the donuts, line the outside edge with silicone and put them back on.

The donuts have been know to "shrink" and fall off over time.
The silicone will help keep them in place.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjam
Been following the solo seat thread and I have to admit the bikes look great. So today I removed the back seat, ugh, dirty, dirty fender. Now I get ready to remove the backrest with my allen wrench and realize it just wont fit in the groove between the chrome plate and the hard bags. So, I know I am going to have to loosen the hard bags, so my question is, do I just untighten the bolts on the inside or what.

I knew not to proceed any further because I will screw up a unscrewed screw. Have to admit it is going to look nice and should not take much time to put back, once I have the secret answer from someone here on the hardbags. Thanks
sounds like you got it! it really is simple and only takes a couple minutes. I was nervous at first too. But now that you have the bags off, you will see how much more access you have to the bike. You can easily change the gear oil.

Heck, I take mine off to clean and wax the bike. And I can do a better on the bags too. But like it was suggested, watch that rubber grommet. They disappear.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #13

Hey If I can do it you can too. Buy yourself a Mustang rear fender bib to cove the ugliness and remove the back seat clamp-thingy. It looks real cool. The bib will cover the seat screw hole on the back fender nicely

Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
Advanced Member

'There is a thread elsewhere (I believe started by Trip) about checking the bolts of the shocks and a specific part/bracket that the bolts vibrated loose and someone even lost one. When the bags are off, should be a good time to check those unseen fasteners and add loctite and tighten as needed. JM2C

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to dabull

it is definitely a good time to check the 3 bolts on each side that are located behind the saddle bags, and up and under the chrome "guard"...mine were way loose and made a terrible racket...make sure you have metric wrenches, metric sockets, and metric allen wrenches BEFORE you start...nothing like having to run to Lowes after you get started;)