Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #1

Fire and Steel Tach

I recently purchased a Kawasaki Fire and Steel Tachometer. It looks very nice and made of high quality parts but it didn't come with a installation guide. I have looked online and can't come up with anything. Does anyone on here have one installed and can send me some installation directions?

Thanks
VBA #01833
Salt Lake City, Utah
2007 Nomad 1600

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #2

Try gadget/nomad

Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #3

Here is the link

http://www.gadgetjq.com/tach_install.htm
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Good I see you posted year and model. On the 1600 the coils are not marker (+) and (-). Do as Gadjet says, connect the wires neatly, and use the left isde as seated coil and the outter most coil connector for the stepped 2 terminal mount for the oem wire and the tach.

That is coil 1 which fires both plugs at the same time on cly 1, and the outside terminal, which makes it easy to reach.

I didn't know Gadjet had a write up and I had to multimeter that coil, and I wasn't happy to find no standard coil markings a bit. I wonder what bean counter saved a part of a cent on that .....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the help.

Since the tachometer kit didn't come with instructions, it doesn't say which wire goes where.
There are four wires. One red, one black, one green and one blue. Can anyone tell me where the wires go???
The gadget page says two will go to the power, one is ground and one goes to the ignition coil.

Thanks again for the help!
VBA #01833
Salt Lake City, Utah
2007 Nomad 1600

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Yes.

Red is power from a switched source, ie front marker lamp, found with in the main lamp bucket.
Blue is may be twisted to red and is the tach light, and will be on anytime the marker lamps are on. I suggest the tach lamp to be on all the time the marker lamps are on for the little warmth which will assist in a drier tach. I would not worry about water proof.

Green goes to the left side coil outter most connector on the duel step connector which you must buy from any car parts store.

Black is ground, and need not be connected to the black/yellow gound wires on the bike at all, but can be. You can add an eye connector and bolt it on any bolt in the frame. I suggest at the black plastic gooseneck cover, aka head stock, just under the ft of the gas tank. A ground is a ground and the engine is a ground as well as the frame.

If you have passing lamps or any other lamps mounted on the forks this is a good time to add a ground from the frame to the forks.

There is no stock ground on the bike from the frame to the forks, and there should be. The path to ground is right smack thru the gooseneck bearings.

Bearings make a very poor ground, and so arcing occurs, which eats up the ball bearings or rollers and turns them into little black rocks.

To create this ground wire I suggest all black in 14 gauge (40 amps) or 12 gauge (60 amps) from the frame thru the back of the forks and fasted in any existing bolts on both ends.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it