Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #1

Having backfiring problems vaquero 2011

First I have tried everything I know, which is not much.
1. I installed cobra tri-oval slip ons. very loud on decel under 2000 rpm.
2. Installed powerpro Ad said it self adjust to all conditions Same backfiring better gas mileage very loud again but now under 2500 rpm.
3. Went round and round with cobra to no avail.
4. Installed powercomander V. Had great luck with dynojet on my 1600 nomad. Not many maps to choose from took the best from the list. Same as cobra except not as good performance and not as good gas mileage.
5.Took it to a performance shop. Dyno ect. more power mid range and top end. gas tank as you might guess now has a hole in it. Bang bang at 2500 I looked to see if people were running for cover. a little less below 2000. If they guy was not bald he would have been. Said you might want to add some air to it or that engine did not like the slip ons.
6. put hypercharger on. Made no difference.
7. Took slipons off stock map, stock pipes you can hear it but muffled.
8. talked to dealer they called kawasaki inherent they said in big twins.
9. sold slipons 2010 nomad 1700 no problems all stock now just slipons,
Very frustrated what do I do now ? Love the style and the ride

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by denturist1; 08-31-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #2

Did you check for exhaust leaks?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Welcome to the forum, hope you get your problem solved and fixed correctly.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #4

I know this doesn't help, but I have noticed through the years that people having the most trouble with their bikes are the ones that have modified it. The more modifications done, the potential for more problems...

Is there something to that? I would think so...

I hope you can get your problems solved... it is no fun when a bike isn't working as you expect.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
I know this doesn't help, but I have noticed through the years that people having the most trouble with their bikes are the ones that have modified it. The more modifications done, the potential for more problems...

Is there something to that? I would think so...

I hope you can get your problems solved... it is no fun when a bike isn't working as you expect.

I don't think that's quite accurate. The issues with the Vaquero/Voyager/1700's in general are there no matter if you mod the bike or not, the situation becomes once you mod it and remove the thin veneer Kawasaki painted on the surface you begin to discover what's under all that choked down muffled and baffled system and begin to realize the difficulty in correcting what MaKawi really left there. Options are to throw money and effort at it, keep it completely stock and live with what's there or trade it off... Not too impressed with MaKawi...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

I'm with Greg on this one, that is why I leave my bike mostly stock.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I don't think that's quite accurate. The issues with the Vaquero/Voyager/1700's in general are there no matter if you mod the bike or not, the situation becomes once you mod it and remove the thin veneer Kawasaki painted on the surface you begin to discover what's under all that choked down muffled and baffled system and begin to realize the difficulty in correcting what MaKawi really left there. Options are to throw money and effort at it, keep it completely stock and live with what's there or trade it off... Not too impressed with MaKawi...
I think what greg is saying is that initial conditions have predictable behavior and when you deviate from that with multiple variables, the probability of problems increase. As much as Kawasaki or any other manufacturers doesn't build their machines for maximum performance, they do build them to a set of standards, which also include emissions. Utmost in the end result is reliability while meeting all the variables in the standard, so...Deviating from the original design and implementation can introduce problems not anticipated nor wanted. Keeping the bike in stock condition(and properly maintaining it) reduces the possibility of unforeseen and unwanted problems, all else being equal, meaning the basic design was good to begin with. In the last 10-15 years, motorcycles and cars have gotten to the point that the basic design and implementation is very reliable. Gone are the days of the engine rebuild at 100K miles.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

I don't understand the OP post 1 at all.. bald guys, holes in gas tanks??? HUH?

The more i read about the 17's the more I like my 16...

But it sure is hard to know what the OP said in one post his first.

All I can really tell is another one bit the dust, and bought a hyper charger thinking it was something more than just another big air filter box.

The charger is in Hype! There are No impellers, and 2 flappers work better as a bra......

What the rest of the problem is i can't say. Sounds like a nasty bad air leak into a overly rich exhaust fuel mix.

I consider my 16 pretty nice modified as I have it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

I think by "gas tank now has a hole in it", he means his gas mileage is in the crapper.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I think by "gas tank now has a hole in it", he means his gas mileage is in the crapper.
I wondered what he meant by that statement.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
I don't understand the OP post 1 at all.. bald guys, holes in gas tanks??? HUH?

The more i read about the 17's the more I like my 16...

But it sure is hard to know what the OP said in one post his first.

All I can really tell is another one bit the dust, and bought a hyper charger thinking it was something more than just another big air filter box.

The charger is in Hype! There are No impellers, and 2 flappers work better as a bra......

What the rest of the problem is i can't say. Sounds like a nasty bad air leak into a overly rich exhaust fuel mix.

I consider my 16 pretty nice modified as I have it.
A hypercharger does in fact produce less restrictive air flow, yes it is for show as well, but they have tested and shown to produce slightly more power with one installed over stock.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
A hypercharger does in fact produce less restrictive air flow, yes it is for show as well, but they have tested and shown to produce slightly more power with one installed over stock.
Like any other big free flow air cleaner. In fact the flappers don't do a thing to help and may inhibit clean air flow.

if you look with the engine OFF the flappers are wide open and out of the way.

With the engine running there is vacuum that creates the flutter, for what purpose i can't imagine. As RPM goes up there is less engine vacuum so the flappers don't flutter so much but are still in the way of clean air flow.

The hype is all you get besides a bigger air filter box. There is not a single impeller to pack so much as 1/10th BAR so there is 0 charge to it.

All you get is current ambient air pressure and not on ounce more.

Chargers all have some device to pack in more air. These are either gear or belt driven and in the case of a turbo exhaust driven.

This is the way it is.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Like any other big free flow air cleaner. In fact the flappers don't do a thing to help and may inhibit clean air flow.

if you look with the engine OFF the flappers are wide open and out of the way.

With the engine running there is vacuum that creates the flutter, for what purpose i can't imagine. As RPM goes up there is less engine vacuum so the flappers don't flutter so much but are still in the way of clean air flow.

The hype is all you get besides a bigger air filter box. There is not a single impeller to pack so much as 1/10th BAR so there is 0 charge to it.

All you get is current ambient air pressure and not on ounce more.

Chargers all have some device to pack in more air. These are either gear or belt driven and in the case of a turbo exhaust driven.

This is the way it is.
I will argue against that, they do open and close depending on how much throttle you are giving it, they act like the butterflies on the older cars that were in the hood, the faster you go, the more the butterflies will open, therefore allowing more air flow. The flappers are wide open with the engine off because they work of the vacuum which of course will not be operating without the engine running.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I will argue against that, they do open and close depending on how much throttle you are giving it, they act like the butterflies on the older cars that were in the hood, the faster you go, the more the butterflies will open, therefore allowing more air flow. The flappers are wide open with the engine off because they work of the vacuum which of course will not be operating without the engine running.
The only way it'll get more air is ram effect and that would mean speeds in excess of 100 mph. Even at 100 mph it would be minor with a properly designed setup, like the hood on a W-30. The hypercharger is all marketing.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Cj that might be...... I'ld try to help if i could but I am not familiar with the set up yet.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac