Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
There's no way to rebuild our shocks, since there's no parts available for it. There's a member here who disassembled his shocks and changed the oil in them, I looked for his write-up and couldn't find it, but there is a similar write-up on gadgets site.

http://gadgetjq.com/gw_shockfill.htm
Thank's mate,that'll do for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
You need a zero loss pump to put air in them. A zero loss pump is available online or at a Harley Dealer. Do not use a gas station air line or you will ruin the seals in the shocks as the pressure is too high, 80psi or more. I think the maximum pressure in the shocks is in the 40 psi range. The shocks take a very small volume of air to reach 40 psi. Most use much less than 40 psi. Try 10psi and go up from there if the ride is too soft. When the bike was loaded down I used the highest setting on the shocks and 30 psi in the shocks.

For solo riding I used #2 on the shocks and 20 psi.
Hey mate,i've tried all the setting's and i dont feel any difference,they bottom out 2 up at the slightest bump,all the shock's i've had before have a rising cam on them that you can see compress the spring, but these dont seem to do anything when i twist the adjuster,not that i make out anyway.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Hey mate,i've tried all the setting's and i dont feel any difference,they bottom out 2 up at the slightest bump,all the shock's i've had before have a rising cam on them that you can see compress the spring, but these dont seem to do anything when i twist the adjuster,not that i make out anyway.
The dial is a dampener setting, Air is the extra spring. if yon raise the rear end and let it hang and then pull out the air valve and put it in you will have 14 psi or 1 bar. With a no loss had operated pump you can get 2 bar or 24 psi, you can get more than that too, but 35 psi is about max. But then you said the shocks might be goners.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #19

Air Compressor

I have used an air compressor for 8 years now with no problems. Just run the air tank down to 25-30 lbs. with the compressor off. Hit both sides and your good to go. Hold your nasty comments as I have heard them before. This works very well.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT44 View Post
I have used an air compressor for 8 years now with no problems. Just run the air tank down to 25-30 lbs. with the compressor off. Hit both sides and your good to go. Hold your nasty comments as I have heard them before. This works very well.
Do you over fill slightly as there is loss removing the fitting, and then lower to the same PSI as best you can times 2 ?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #21

I will hit both sides 2 times quickly. The tanks pressure will hardly change because of the low volume of air. I mentioned this to my Kawasaki dealer, he liked the idea. He is also one of the mechanics. Just make sure your tank pressure gage is some what accurate. I let the air out of the tank using an air gun first. You can tell that the pressure is getting very low. 20-30 lbs. isn`t much.

Last edited by KURT44; 05-12-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #22

What?

I've been keeping this class room open, and now I am having a dilemma. I set my "03" Nomad shocks a bunch of months ago, been concerned lately because on speed bumps 5 -10 mph, solo, I bottom out. Not wanting to take the chance using my compressor / regulator set at 30 (again) for all the reasons stated I now have the pretty, tiny air pump recommended.
When I connected to the shocks I was surprised to find L shock @ 21 psi and R shock @ 24 psi. Handling is soft even set on 3. I was surprised at the air that I actually had in the shocks.......they weren't 'bad' after all. But the shocks where about at the recommend pressure, not even but only 2psi. Not to bad, lots of luck with compressor last time. God takes care of fools and drunks.
Really love the pump, it really doesn't lose air. I now have 26 psi in my shocks. My real question is that I ride solo 99% of the time, is it normal for the bike to bottom on bumps. I ride like an old man, I'm 57, 210 lbs, so I'm just practicing for when I hit 98, seldom do I jump bumps. Oh yeah, I left the damp '3'.
Ok, 1. 2 psi diff. cause soft, wooo-wooo-wooo kind of wobbling
2. normal to bottom, speed bump size, 5 - 10 mph
Weather is a little scary to day but I will take the beast out ASAP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3220.jpg (97.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 05-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #23

I keep mine set at 20 psi riding solo and damper on 2 and it's comfortable. I weigh 200lbs. on a good day and I'm 60.. They shouldn't bottom out.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 05-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
I keep mine set at 20 psi riding solo and damper on 2 and it's comfortable. I weigh 200lbs. on a good day and I'm 60.. They shouldn't bottom out.
That's what I thought, the reason I got the pump. Just figured I didn't get enough in when I used 30 psi / regulated, I knew I wasn't getting equal pressure. It would bottom on occasion, mostly when I felt it shouldn't have. She holds pressure. I went on a quick ride set at 26 psi and it felt better. Dampening is for rebound if I'm right so that would have little or no effect on bottoming?
Just really scratching my head because my pressure and dampening is set where most of ya'll run 2-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3227.jpg (100.8 KB, 5 views)