Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #1

Engine cuts out at higher speeds?

I have a 2008 Mean Streak 1600, about 10,500 miles on it. It has an issue that seems to slowly be getting worse. I'm hoping someone on the forum has seen this and can recommend a way to check for the fix.

The engine runs great but starts to cut out randomly at about 110 and will get worse if I keep the throttle open. Sometimes once it's doing this it will reoccur at speeds as low as 85.

It feels like ignition because it's either full power or none. Fuel would fade in and out slower.

I have access to pass through spark indicators but that won't tell me the cause. I also have scanner with a built in scope, but I don't want to spend hours trying to orchestrate that on a bike at high speeds.

It has a Cobra fuel tuner on it. Swapping ECM's didn't change it. Level in fuel tank has no effect.

I'm planning on cleaning and tightening grounds as that seems to be common issue with the Vulcan electronics.

Any tips?

Vernon

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2023, 09:59 PM   #2

Check your grounds, clean your throttle body with carb cleaner, you could also try to either richen up your tuner on top end. The Vulcans have a built in rev limiter, I've seen a few bikes that choke up on top end, where the cylinders get all carboned up and all....
What happens is the fuel won't burn correctly, and isn't being ignited correctly by the plugs....
Also, pull your injectors and check their spray pattern....If after checking all your fuel system, you could be running outta spark also....lie what you were thinking. Iridiums resist fouling, take less voltage to spark....run a primary and secondary checks with your multi-testor on the coils to make sure they're healthy.
About once a month I bounce it off the rev-limiter a couple of times that way carbon doesn't build up.
On my built up Nomad, which has a 1600 in it, once I hit 115, she's still pulling hard and fast, and thats all I dare to go. I've noticed if I try to pass 100 that if I have cheap gas, it loses power as it leans out. I can get around it if I use lucas octane booster....
My Nomad engine has really high compression, I have to watch for knocking, which is why I carry 5 or 6 bottles of the octane booster at all times....hope this helps.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 11-20-2023, 10:11 AM   #3

I R&R'ed the fuel pump Saturday with the famous internet brand. The screen and filter were still in excellent shape. It seemed a little punchier but the top end stalling is still there.
The check valve mentioned in another thread is the fuel return fitting check valve. Mine flowed freely with a little compressed air.

This issue isn't due to the fuel supply.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:38 PM   #4
Advanced Member

What mufflers are you running? My 1700 with the Ivans tune runs better with the stock mufflers over the V&H. Way more torque thru the rpm range. Some engines just needs the back pressure.

Also check the intake for leaks. Spray some WD40 around the outer intake connections while at an idle and see if the rpm's change. If it does you have a leak.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.