Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #1

2010 bike show

Deb and I were at the bike show here in Edmonton last night and I thought I would give my report on my findings:
First, it was evident that the recession still had lingering effects because there seemed to be less merchants selling their wares than last year. Deb picked up some deer skin gloves, while I accomplished my task of finding a heated vest ( Locally made I might add, not over seas ).

All the manufacturers were present with their 2010 line up so Deb and I fit tested them all.
Now, my inseam is 36", which I don't feel is freakish, but to find a bike that fit me was a challenge.

Kawi's nomad and voyager were just too cramped, Harley was the same way. Honda was not too bad, but they've discontinued the 1800 so that ruled them out. We even sat on a Gold Wing which Deb loved because of the comfort of the back seat, but I was not impressed with the leg room, and the fact that the driver has only foot pegs to rest their feet on , and cramped behind the opposed 6 cylinder heads would be a real turn off after spending $30.000.
But, the Gold Wing did inspire Deb to give the green light to get the Russel Day Long for next season.

The best fit bikes for me were two manufacturers, Victory and the Indian. There is a new Indian dealer in Calgary which we're taking a weekend ride down to this summer. Manager at the show said no problem on a test ride. (All right!!!!).
The Victory Vision Tour was a beautiful fit, but it just looks like it belongs in an episode of the "Jetsons".

The only model we didn't have a chance to sit in was the Stratoliner, our feet were getting sore and Deb was starting to bag out, so off we went.
One thing that always has baffled me about the Metric manufactures is why they don't offer a better line up of paint schemes for their models. If they did, in my opinion, they would obtain more of the market share than they all ready have. Oh well.

Biggest Joke there: Harley Trike conversion for a mere $78,000. Operators are standing by to take your call.

Anyway, that's my report from Edmonton,
take care everyone,

voyager.

PS. The whole experience sure made me happy with my '07 Nomad.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Top Contributor

2010 bike show

I'm only 5'10" and I wasn't impressed with the leg room and pegs on the wing neither. In fact I thought the leg room was better with the voyager.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #3

2010 bike show

I agree about the issue of finding a bike that "fits". I'm 6'4" and almost always find myself feeling cramped on any other bike I sit on. I've ridden countless HD's and always get off anxious get back on my Nomad. The HD dealers all talk about different saddles, footpeg and handlebar configurations, but these "options" add thousands to the already out of site price. I did ride a Star Stratoliner that was comfy, but over all I don't car for the style as much as I do my Nomad. Guess I'll just stay with "perfect".
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 01-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #4

2010 bike show

Our bike show is not until the end of February here in Montreal, but funny you should talk about the Victory Vision touring.
With nothing to do the other day a buddy and I went to look at one. The local Kawa / Yamaha dealer whom We both know quite well just started selling Victorys as well. At first I found it a bit bizarre to look at, but it seems to grow on you the longer you look at it. They are going to plate it and I have been invited for a test drive when it's been prepped and the weather is better. In the mean time they hooked up a battery and We played with all the buttons, lights, stereo, etc for a while. My impressions: Very roomy and comfortable. The electric windshield is neat, it raises and lowers about 4 inches and the rake adjusts at the upper end of the travel. Nice stereo. Really nice lighting with high low beam plus a HID spot built in, even the Victory badges light up. Fit and finish seems good, but a few things were disappointing. It's air cooled with an oil cooler, the saddle bags are a lot smaller inside than you would think and the number one turn off is you can buy 2 Nomads for the price of one Victory.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #5

2010 bike show

I went to the internation motorcycle show in greenville sc. the bike that impressed me most was the Victory Cross Country, saddle bags are very big and i was told that a trunk would be available in about 6 months
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #6

2010 bike show

I also went to the show in Greenville and the Cross Country is hard to get out of my mind. I had read all about it before going to the show and it fit me like a glove (5' 10" 250lbs) I really like my Nomad but I love the Cross Country and it is going to be hard not to buy one in the spring. Rode the Nad 175 miles today. 33 degrees when I left the house and around 60 at 2:00.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #7

2010 bike show

I just got back from the Toronto bike show a couple hours ago. I hadn't planned on going this year but my brother inlaw wanted to go so I tagged along. I found that it was a lot of leather vendors and other accessories for a good part of it. Most of the bikes were represented, and a couple places selling used Harleys all brought up from the states. They were asking for more than you would pay in the states by at least a couple thousand, A 2008 Ultra with 4800 miles for $21,999.00 or a 2009 Street Glide with 850 miles for 18,999.00
Anyways I walked out of there without buying a single thing this year.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 AM   #8

2010 bike show

Before I bought my 'o8 Nomad I test fitted the Triumph Rocket III Touring model. Big, a little wide in the crotch for my 34" in-seam but definatly a bike to concider.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #9

2010 bike show

I like the Cross Country but Victory sure is proud of them, just check their prices.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

2010 bike show

The Goldwing is a different animal, to be sure. I've had the benefit of riding a friend of mine's for 10-20 miles. He has highway pegs on his that make for plenty of legroom, IMO. But, the Wing demands to be ridden a different way than a typical cruiser - there's a LOT of power in that inline 6, and it'll walk away from any twin, especially in the curves, and you ride it like a sport-bike on those kind of roads. For a 900 lb + bike, color me impressed. The only thing I don't like about the Wing is the ergonomics of the bars. Too low.

The only other bike I would consider as a replacement to the Nomad would be the Royal Star Venture. Even though it's carb'd, the extra power would be worth it, and I find the ergonomics almost perfect for my laid-back style of riding. The passenger seat is also very comfortable for She Who Must Be Obeyed. $20,000 is a bit much to part with right now though. Hopefully, by the time I can afford one, they'll have upgraded it to F/I. Time will tell.

The biggest surprise for me was sitting on the Electra-Glide. Talk about cramped. Five years ago I thought that was the creme-de-la-creme of touring cruisers. Not so much anymore! Stick a trunk on my Nomad and I'll be keeping it for a good long while yet.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT