Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 08-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #1

Iron Butt to Custer?

In starting my plans for getting to the National Rally next summer, one thought kept popping up. . .
[size=100:jmreosj5]What Would Chuck Burt Do?[/size:jmreosj5]

I think it would be a fitting tribute to Chuck's memory to plan my passage to include an Iron Butt attempt on the northbound part of the trip with the IB section ending at the Rally Hotel.
With the help of MapQuest I determined that a Denton, TX starting point would give a qualifying distance of 1060 miles estimated at 16 hours 30 minutes.
(Bobt- Sherman, TX comes up at 1061 miles and 16 hrs 39 minutes in case you were wondering ;))

I'll have Frances & Sarah trailing in the comfort of the Expedition, but it'd be nice to have another bike or two along. We've got 9 months to work up to it.

What do y'all think, anybody interested in giving it a shot?

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=1

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #2

Iron Butt to Custer?

Chuck would be proud, LW.

I am leaning towards making a long vacation out of the deal. Have Cheryl follow me in the dually with our fifth wheel trailer. Maybe take a couple of weeks to get there and see some of our great nation. I have rigged up CB radios for communication.

I told Chuck at our AR rally that his iron butt was very impressive. I told him the 250 mile rally run seemed like a long way to me.

Bill

Old 08-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #3

Iron Butt to Custer?

Sounds like a great plan Bill. I know y'all will have an excellent trip.

We're likewise going to make the rally part of a bigger vacation with another week or so of travel on the back side of the Rally. I really want to see Yellowstone & Glacier NP before turning back South. Who's to say when/if that opportunity will present itself again.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your comms setup.
Aside from adding a more comfortable seat and a larger Clearview windshield, comms between the bike and the truck will be a helpful addition to help maintain alertness.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #4

Iron Butt to Custer?

wish i was going, i fully intend to complete an iron butt ride

Old 08-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #5

Iron Butt to Custer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW

I'd be interested in hearing more about your comms setup.
Aside from adding a more comfortable seat and a larger Clearview windshield, comms between the bike and the truck will be a helpful addition to help maintain alertness.
Havent had much of chance to try it out. I cheaped out. I went to amazon and bought a cheap midland CB radio and magnet antenna for my truck. I also bought a cheap midland handheld that slips onto the handlebar. I got a remote microphone and speaker, along with a clip on push to talk button. I think I have less than $100 in everything.

I drove down the road and talked with Cheryl about 1/2 mile away. Seemed real clear. I havent tried it when we are both on the freeway. One of my friends, said that I should have just bought those 10 mile handi-talkies. I thought of that but was afraid the radio when not transmit well inside the truck and the little speaker hard to hear in the diesel truck.

I would be anxious to hear opinions on this and hear where I screwed up. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #6

Iron Butt to Custer?

billmac, I think you made the right choice. The CB is more powerful than the walkie talkies.
At the distances you will be talking to your wife you can turn the squelch up to block other chatter on the channels and have just you and her.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Iron Butt to Custer?

Trip and I talked about making the ride up there but not in an iron butt fashion. We were thinking more of 3 days and picking people up as we went along. We could even leave out of here with a group of riders. "Here" meaning Texas.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #8

Iron Butt to Custer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB,voices tell me evil things
Trip and I talked about making the ride up there but not in an iron butt fashion. We were thinking more of 3 days and picking people up as we went along. We could even leave out of here with a group of riders. "Here" meaning Texas.
This is more in line of what i was thinking about.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #9

Iron Butt to Custer?

Bill my wife Bea wants to go but she can't ride the bike that far but that is what we were thinking thought we would spend about 3 days getting there and about 10 days getting back. I have never been in that part of the country and would like to spend some time up there. Bea has never pulled a trailer but if you didn't have to have your trailer then the Lady's could ride in our altama gets better mileage than my bike. anyway I am just thinking out loud, where Will you come out of Texas?