Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #1

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Hi, is there anyone here that uses the magnetic oil drain plug? I was thinking about getting one but wanted to see if anyone else has tried it. Here is the link that I found:http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/motorcycle.html
Thanks, Jody

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #2

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

I stick a small magnet on my oil filter and transfer it to the new filter at replacement time. These are small rare earth magnets about the size of a nickle.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #3

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

I too just have a magnet on my filter.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #4

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Thats what I do as well and do it to all my other vehicles and toys.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Where can I get a couple of these rare earth magnets ????

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #6

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

I remember seeing a thread on here awhile back. I think it was lonewolf that uses the earth magnets.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #7

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
Where can I get a couple of these rare earth magnets ????
Princess Auto sells them, in fact they were just on sale a couple weeks ago. They come in a pack of five or ten and are only a couple dollars.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #8

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Great Idea these magnets, I think I'll look into them :)

Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #9

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Just got back from Princess Auto, they are on sale, normally 4 bucks and change, now $2 and change.
I bought 3 packs of 10, so if any of you guys want a couple (free), pm me your address and I'll get them in the mail to you.
Regards,
Gary

Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #10

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

I use this style.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #11

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Those will certainly do the job Voyager, Ive never seen that type.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #12

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Got my magnets out of a old computor, seems to work well.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #13

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Not trying to stir anything here, but... there is a fairly good link regarding the use of magnets to "capture" metal within the oil-system of a motor.

While the link's info is long... I thought it provided a fairly good analysis of doing so. Some of you might find the information helpful, if not informative.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...tic-filtration

I, personally, like the magnetic plug because it serves the purpose of capturing samples of the metal contaminants that may be in your oil (caused by friction in the engine). Routine inspection of the plug can help to reveal if there has been a significant change in these particles. i.e., increased amount, larger size, and other such important information that may tell you about a serious problem. Metal caught in a filter isn't so revealing.

Possible disadvantages listed on the site for magnetizing your oil are below and should be considered. (The site was not entirely negative to the idea -- you must read it.)

I, personally, thought the first and second point caused enough "pause" for me.

•Detached Particle Agglomerations – A common risk associated with using magnetic separators is the possibility of particles becoming detached from the magnet and washed downstream in mass, potentially entering a sensitive component. This concern is reduced if the magnetic separator is located on a drain line or if a conventional filter is positioned downstream to trap migrating debris. Risk of debris being washed off is highest under surge flow conditions, cold starts, shock, high oil viscosity and/or high oil flow rates.

•Magnetized Transient Particles – Adding to the risk of particle washoff is the chance of these particles becoming magnetized while they were attached to the permanent magnet. After floating downstream, they might adhere magnetically to frictional surfaces such as bearings, causing wear. They could also lodge into narrow flow passages, orifices, glands and oilways, thus restricting flow.

•Nonmagnetic Particles Remain Unchecked – Indeed, magnetic separators will have little effect on controlling nonferrous particles composed of silica, tin, aluminum or bronze. Other types of filters and separators must be used.

•Separation is not by Size-exclusion Mechanics – As previously discussed, separation is based on physics considerably different from size-exclusion – the method which defines the performance of conventional mechanical filters. Instead, the capture efficiency of magnetic separators is based on many factors including the collective influence of particle size, magnetic susceptibility, flow rate, viscosity and magnetic field gradient.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #14

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

I kind of see the point that you refered to Greg, but it still won't dissaud me from sticking with my magnets. By sticking the magnet on the filter you are essentailly trapping the particles in the filter that should already be trapped. To me its just a cheap and efficient way to add another level of protection.
I have taken apart many motors over the years and its not uncommon to find a film of grey silt like particles lining the bottom of the crankcase or oil pan. These are the metal particles that are most likely too small to be trapped by the filter, if it even has one.
I think that even these very fine particles in most cases wouldn't harm a motor, after all it took a lot of running hours to get them there in the first place. To me its just normal wear.
Thats where using Seafoam can help keep your motor spotlessly clean inside. I use it once a year in my crankcase and when I had my sidecase off to change the clutch spring, my motor had no film whatsoever on any of the internal parts, or engine cases.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #15

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

I see your point Steve.

Since I am mechanically-deficient, I have a tendency to read about "things" first just to see if there is any truth or value to what I hear.

The site I provided didn't necessarily say that magnets were bad; but they did point out the different types and applications of using magnets; along with the concerns and a couple of the myths.

Apparently for some engines (and applications) fluid-filters are available that are "loaded" with magnets within them. Too bad that isn't an option for bikes!!!

It must be a conspiracy by the motor companies!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417