Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Progressive Springs or heavier oil

My 06 Nomad front seems to be bottoming out easier lately so I am wondering should I replace the springs in the front end with Progressives (Part#) or remove and replace the front fork oil with new or heavier oil (What weight) or both. Any help would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #2

Both
VBA 936

Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

I agree with MT on this one . I went with progressive springs and 15 weight oil . While I was at it I replaced the steering stem bearings with All Balls . It was worth every penny . You won't regret it .

Old 10-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

What do you mean about the steering stem bearings? Would that be in the center of the triple tree below that big nut between my risers? I am having a side to side wobble when I let go of the bars. Starts slow back and forth but gets faster and harder the longer I leave go. I believe if I raise the front end off the ground that my front tire should either go left or right slowly on its own until it stops but now it will just slam to either side that it goes. Hits real hard when it stops. I think it needs tightening to make the swing real easy.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #5

I would agree with the others, and do both. That being said, I still have the stock springs, and you would really be surprised at the difference that just changing the fork oil makes. I run 15 weight oil (Motul), and the last time I changed it, I went with the 15 weight Motul again, and it just being new oil made a big difference over the old wore out oil. The next time I change it, I'm going to also change the springs to Progressive progressive rate springs, part # 11-1144
https://www.progressivesuspension.co...ork-spring-kit

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #6

I put 20wt in mine. Its fine/good on straight and smooth roads, but of a rough curve it not as stable as it was with the stock oil. Left stock springs in. Next change will either go back to 10 or maybe 15.
My 06 has 34,000 mile on it, and wasn't having any problems with bottoming out.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmmbt View Post
My 06 Nomad front seems to be bottoming out easier lately so I am wondering should I replace the springs in the front end with Progressives (Part#) or remove and replace the front fork oil with new or heavier oil (What weight) or both. Any help would be appreciated.
You shouldn't be bottoming out, at least not on a regular basis. Sounds like you may have a leak.

I don't know about progressive springs, but a higher weight oil would certainly help, assuming you don't have or have fixed other issues. Maxima or Motul 15 wt are similar in viscosity (there is no standard for fork oil weights, so one brands 15 wt may not be very close to another's in viscosity). I think 20 wt in just about any brand makes it too firm for most riders.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #8

No leak, just 50 some odd thousand miles. Also have a Premieux fairing on the front which adds weight as well.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #9

Like MAS said, do both. Cheap fix.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
What do you mean about the steering stem bearings? Would that be in the center of the triple tree below that big nut between my risers? I am having a side to side wobble when I let go of the bars. Starts slow back and forth but gets faster and harder the longer I leave go. I believe if I raise the front end off the ground that my front tire should either go left or right slowly on its own until it stops but now it will just slam to either side that it goes. Hits real hard when it stops. I think it needs tightening to make the swing real easy.
Yes the bearings on the triple tree. If it "slams to either side" it's time to have a look at it.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 10-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #11

Quote:
No leak, just 50 some odd thousand miles. Also have a Premieux fairing on the front which adds weight as well.
Oh yeah, that oil is old and worn out if it has never been changed. You've probably lost some over time, too, but without a visible leak.

If you are doing the first change, I would rinse the residuals out 2 - 3 times rather than just once. There is going to be a lot of corrosive crap in the bottoms of those forks.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Done this on non-cruisers, but should apply: manufactuers put in the least amount of oil needed in the forks. So the old guide was to go with LIGHTER oil, but a lot more oil. The oil level is set with the springs out and fork fully compressed, pour in oil to within 1.5" from the top. The lighter oil keeps the bike responsive to small bumps. The added volume decreases the air above the oil that acts like the final "spring" because air can be compressed. The lower air volume helps to reduce bottoming. Also, preload is critical to reduce sag. Fit spacers at the top of the springs to keep sag to about 1/2". Years ago we'd use VW Bug valve springs as spacers.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 12-17-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #13

That's a handy bit of advice made.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Done this on non-cruisers, but should apply: manufactuers put in the least amount of oil needed in the forks. So the old guide was to go with LIGHTER oil, but a lot more oil. The oil level is set with the springs out and fork fully compressed, pour in oil to within 1.5" from the top. The lighter oil keeps the bike responsive to small bumps. The added volume decreases the air above the oil that acts like the final "spring" because air can be compressed. The lower air volume helps to reduce bottoming. Also, preload is critical to reduce sag. Fit spacers at the top of the springs to keep sag to about 1/2". Years ago we'd use VW Bug valve springs as spacers.
this is a good approach to the issue but not a one size fits all --- there is a post on here from RAY with some suggestions on overfill u might look up--
when i did mine some time ago i kept origonal springs - 15 weight oil - added more than the service manual reccomended-dont remember how much - and works fine for me but what i like may not suit u ----- on my last bike i did springs n oil but the springs were a little stiff for me -- we all like something different

Old 12-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE WILLIE View Post
this is a good approach to the issue but not a one size fits all --- there is a post on here from RAY with some suggestions on overfill u might look up--
when i did mine some time ago i kept origonal springs - 15 weight oil - added more than the service manual reccomended-dont remember how much - and works fine for me but what i like may not suit u ----- on my last bike i did springs n oil but the springs were a little stiff for me -- we all like something different
Anything has to better than the banging & clattering i get.Mine were re-juvinated,with 15 grade oil,by a so called mechanic,about 25000m ago. And we bash the shit out of them in England.