Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #31
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodooman View Post
I'm not sure why the word "harley" evokes so many strong emotions and assumptions - especially from folks who have never owned one.

I am not asking for opinions on which is a better machine, vulcan or harley, or asking for advice on how to spend my money.

I'm simply looking for advice/comments from harley owners past or present, and more specifically I'm interested in the EVO motor. I think I could have a ton of fun riding and wrenching on an EVO. It's not as antique say, a shovel, knuckle or pan, but isn't as new as a twinkie. That puts it in a nice price range, with nice parts availability still as well. I think it could be fun and a nice change. I love to wrench and heard that you can tinker with EVOs, but that they're also very reliable. I have an original 1954 chevy 210 and keeping it on the road requires lots of wrenching. I don't anticipate that much wrenching unless I picked up a knuckle or shovel. I just may pull the trigger on one.
My brother in law is a die-hard evo fan. He has 5 different evo dyna models in his garage. He really loves them. I should ask to ride one someday to see what the fuss is about. I do like buck horn handlebars that were popular back then.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #32

Well, Harleys are Great Machines, but its all in what you want! A Vaquero is a totally Diff. animal than a Road King!
Know for a fact a Kawa 1500 can go to 150,000 before rebuilds, I've done a few of them. Hardleys can go to 45,000-65,000 before you toast your rear cylinder rings. Mostly, if you keep a good maint. routine where you keep the oil/filter changed, the HD bottom end will live to 100,000 if you take care of it.
I've seen some new Vaqueros, even New HDs break down even before 10,000 miles. The make doesn't matter, machines will fail from time to time.
Its true that some HD models run wayyyy lean, just like the Kawas, and they benefit by running cooler by adding a tuner, custom air intake and exhausts. BUT, that rear cylinder runs hot internally compared to that front cylinder. In the summer, you torture that rear cylinder unless your running something like the Luv Jugs....
The ride of the ElectraGlide was famous. When the Japanese mfg'ers started, that was their goal, to ride and Handle good, like the EGs.
Remember, the big HDs are air cooled, the big kawas are liquid cooled. They don't loose power when hot like the HDs. Heat is not your friend on a V-twin.
And Yes, my rear cylinder cooked my leg leg before I addressed the heat problem by exhaust wrapping the exhaust, adding a DEI heat shield, leather heat guards, and a modified LuvJug to the rear cylinder to help blow the hot air off my thigh. Plus, I also run a coolant enhancer in my cooling system.
There are pros and cons to both sides. I rode a Early ElectraGlide for well over 20 years back and forth every day, rain, shine, some sleet, occassionally snow....till I found the Nomad. Love at First sight. Few minor mechanical issues....a kawa 1500 makes all sorts of mech. noises, and vibrates in diff. ways....just gotta get used to it.
Harley, in the later years had installed the jiggley motor-mounts, added another gear to keep revs down.
Harleys pull good down low, and up thru midrange. A kawa 1500/1600/1700 is ok with the upper low end and loves the midrange....but the Harley strains to rev, the Kawa loves it! And just think....the kawa loves to rev so much, the factory installed a Rev Limiter to keep the good times from stop rollin'....
You decide....the kawas are not in the shop near as often, all else being equal.
A lot can be said on how you break the bike in, too. If you give the engine and trans enough time to settle and break in right, you won't have nearly the problems when buying a new bike.
If you take care of her, she'll take care of you....
Just my 2 Pecos....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 11-22-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #33

[QUOTE=twowheeladdict;694930]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post

I can't speak for all Harleys, but the touring line is reliable from the factory.
I can make an argument to this.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #34

[QUOTE=Dave;695016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Dont be shy,let's hear it.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #35
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=Dave;695016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Like Mick said, let's hear it. Keep it to 2014 and newer though since who cares about older than that.

Provide facts from personal research or knowledge on the subject.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #36
Advanced Member

I've had three Harleys and even with their shortcomings have got to say that Harley has the way cool factor going on. My 1978 FLH Anniversary Edition was a real show and shine that attracted attention wherever I rode it. My 1988 Electra Glide was a real beauty and I rode it all over the west, to include a Route 66 run from upstate Wisconsin to home. Like other early model Evos, the cases were junk and I had recurring base gasket problems until I had new cases installed.

My 2002 Super Glide was owned before me by my daughter and then son, with mostly European miles on it. I installed a Thunderheader and some other upgrades before selling it to my cousin, who loves it. I told him to start thinking about a S&S gear drive install. I'd still have it but the riding position was just to tight for these old hips.

I loved them all though and replaced them with my present 07 Nomad.

On Evos and buying a used Harley....Most of the Evos I see for sale around here are pretty worn out. One has to be very careful about buying used unless you know all about the maintenance and repair. There are many Harley guys out there riding the old ones who regard themselves as mechanics but aren't. They get into these engines and do little more than muck them up.

If you wind up getting an Eve, do yourself a favor and install the new upgrade 40 amp stator that is hard wired into the voltage regulator instead of that nuisance connector at the case.

Last edited by Navigator; 11-24-2017 at 03:29 PM.