Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthEast Group

Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

Turn Signal Relay

I own a 2005 Nomad 1600. I've started having issues with my right turn signal blowing the fuse when i use it. It does not always do it but seems to effect it after riding. My mechanic told me that it was the turn signal relay. Kawasaki wants nearly $75 for a new one. Does anyone know where I can find one cheaper or a cheap fix for this? I have tried ebay but all I can find is either for older model 1500's or one that I found is for a 2008 model 1600, just not sure if any of them will work on mine. Any information would be greatly appreciated....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Turn Signal Relay

I have not had that problem and haven't seen any threads referring to that problem. Could it not be some type of short causing the fuse to blow or a possible overload?

By the way welcome to the forum. Saw this was your first post. Hate that your first post is for a problem. Sure hope you can get it fixed.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

Turn Signal Relay

Thanks for the welcome... I've pretty much ran out of ideas and a friend referred me here... I have checked all the wiring except under the gas tank and can find no signs of a short anywhere.. When I ohm the wires out, nothing shows wrong.. But like I said sometimes they work fine and other times it will blow the fuse after flashing just once if that.. The mechanic I use says he hasn't seen a wiring problem in many years but then again who knows for sure.. I just really don't want to spend $75 on an item if I can find it cheaper, especially not knowing for sure if that's the problem or not..

Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #4

Turn Signal Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose (Mack)
Thanks for the welcome... I've pretty much ran out of ideas and a friend referred me here... I have checked all the wiring except under the gas tank and can find no signs of a short anywhere.. When I ohm the wires out, nothing shows wrong.. But like I said sometimes they work fine and other times it will blow the fuse after flashing just once if that.. The mechanic I use says he hasn't seen a wiring problem in many years but then again who knows for sure.. I just really don't want to spend $75 on an item if I can find it cheaper, especially not knowing for sure if that's the problem or not..
Mack, let me know if you need some help with this? We can surely figure this out, 2 heads are sometimes better than one... With-out hands on, I'm at a loss. And another welcome from S.E.Tennessee. Goose :)

Oh yea, I know where there is a Motorcycle Junk Yard if it is the relay...
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #5

Turn Signal Relay

Goose, where would this junk yard be? This part is kinda new to me. I bought the bike new in 05 and have about 36,000 miles on it. It has been down for almost 3 years and I finally was able to get it up and going again about 2 months ago. The problem with the turn signal started just before I had to park it and now that I'm riding again I would like to get it fixed, whatever it is...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Turn Signal Relay

Possibly a corrosion problem. Might just need to do some cleaning of the relay. I would take it out and inspect it closely. If it was exposed to humidity and such it is quite possible several things may need to be taken out or apart and inspected for the green crud that develops.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 11-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #7

Turn Signal Relay

Thanks Bama, I'll have to look at it. I keep meaning to take it out and get the numbers off of it anyway. Just can't seem to find the time. This whole working thing really gets in the way of my riding time..

Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Turn Signal Relay

You could retire like me. Now I have plenty of time just no money. Before I had plenty of money just no time. You just can't win for losing.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #9

Turn Signal Relay

Hi Mack, and welcome to the forum. If it's blowing a fuse, there IS a short. It could be in the flasher, or some where else. Check where the wires go through the rear fender, and along the inside under the fender. and yes, any year 1600 is all the same.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #10

Turn Signal Relay

Bama, the being retired part would be nice, however I don't think my bill collectors would like it too much... Vulcan, thanks for the info. I've have checked the wires everywhere except under the gas tank and can't find any obvious damage. I will however trace them again just to double check. It does not do it all the time. I can start it in my garage and they work fine, sometimes I can go all day and no problems and sometimes maybe just going down my driveway will cause it to blow the fuse. It is not consistent at all. That's what keeps confusing me. I do appreciate the info on if the other year models will work though. Nice to know for future reference, just in case...

Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #11

Turn Signal Relay

Quote:
Goose, where would this junk yard be? This part is kinda new to me. I bought the bike new in 05 and have about 36,000 miles on it. It has been down for almost 3 years and I finally was able to get it up and going again about 2 months ago. The problem with the turn signal started just before I had to park it and now that I'm riding again I would like to get it fixed, whatever it is...
Mac that Junk yard is between Madisonville and Englewood, I think his web site is listed under [ autocyclers.biz or com ] I know last year he had a 1500...
2003 Bandit 1200

Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #12

Turn Signal Relay

Mack what ever came of this??? Did you ever get anything figured out?
2003 Bandit 1200

Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #13

Turn Signal Relay

Goose, I have not had a chance to look at it yet... Between work and I decided to go back to college this year and learn me something, I've just been extremely busy... I'm hoping to be able to look at it tomorrow after work and see if I'm lucky enough that the connectins just have some corrosion on them. I seriously doubt I will get that lucky. If not I will glady take you up on your offer for help. I spent several hours at one point tracing wires the last time I delt with it. I'll let you know what I come up with... On another note, I've been looking at replacing my seat and adding risers, do you recommend anything inparticular?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #14

Turn Signal Relay

Quote:
Goose, I have not had a chance to look at it yet... Between work and I decided to go back to college this year and learn me something, I've just been extremely busy... I'm hoping to be able to look at it tomorrow after work and see if I'm lucky enough that the connections just have some corrosion on them. I seriously doubt I will get that lucky. If not I will gladly take you up on your offer for help. I spent several hours at one point tracing wires the last time I dealt with it. I'll let you know what I come up with... On another note, I've been looking at replacing my seat and adding risers, do you recommend anything in particular?
As far as risers I've contemplated the same, except I was considering a set of Harley mini apes on mine. J&P has them for around $50 or $75 just hadn't bit the bullet yet. Don't know about the seat, I kinda like my stock one, just wish I had a backrest, my RoyalStar has one on it with a stock seat and I can't imagine anything to be more comfortable. I do however like the looks of the Russel Daylong Seats they look really cool, I've spoken with a couple of guys who have them and they HIGHLY recommend them. My cousin has a Ultimate seat on his VTX1300 and He loves it, I've set on it and its seems comfortable, I would have to make long trip in it before I could recommend any of them though.
2003 Bandit 1200

Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #15

Turn Signal Relay

Ok, so I finally was able to find time to remove the relay... After some testing came to the conclusion that it is bad.. Now just trying to find a replacement.. Found some on ebay at a reasonable price.. Now just trying to figure out if I'm going to buy a used one from ebay or just build my own now that I now how it works, more or less anyway... The only issue with building one is that I would lose the self canceling part, not a big deal for me though... Decisions.. decisions... Buy a used part that they say works fine or use some good ole southern electrical engineering.. what to do, what to do.... Knowing me I will try my way first just to see if I can....