Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-11-2023, 12:08 PM   #1

Fouled plugs? '04 1600

Hey ya'll, so I've got a new issue thats been troubling me. Bike has been running great for a while now, but I noticed a little miss a few months ago. Plugs looked clean, wires looked good. I swapped out the coils with a set from Rick's motorsports. I added a little bit of sea foam. Ran the bike for about a month with zero issues. It ran great actually. Then the bike started missing again. Started light, then got to be violent. Pulled the plugs out, and they were black. Went to local auto part store and got a set of universal wires. Swapped them out, cleaned the plugs. Ran great for about 300 miles. Started missing again, bike would chug along at steady RPMS. Only time it was a smooth ride was during acceleration. Pulled plugs, completely black again. Is there a specific set of plug wires I need? The set i have are 500 ohm copper core. Are the Ricks coils no good for an '04 1600? Do i need hotter plugs? What am i overlooking? has my cobra FI gone bad? Do i even need the tuner? It only has a cobra exhaust on it. Has a factory air intake.

attached video link so you can hear what it sounds like

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2023, 09:08 AM   #2

I would test the Digital Fuel Injection sensors out. Water Temperature, Inlet Air Temp, Atmospheric Pressure, Throttle. You'll need a factory manual and some tools, a DVOM etc. It's a 20 year old machine, things fail.

You don't have to have the tuner but when everything is in working order and they are properly adjusted the engine will run better.

Vernon

Old 09-12-2023, 12:58 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Disconnect the tuner at the battery to eliminate it as a cause of your issues.
You don't need the tuner if the air intake is stock and all you have done is change the exhaust. If disconnecting the tuner does not fix the issues then reconnect it. Have you ever removed the fuel pump to take a look at the fuel filter ?

Old 09-12-2023, 05:20 PM   #4

Havent done much with fuel filter. I did clean the throttle body a couple months ago with some carb cleaner. Wiped it out as far back as I could reach past the butterfly. The bike has a little over 36k miles on it, most of its time was spent in a garage. Will check out fuel filter this week.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:21 PM   #5
Top Contributor

https://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/...ad.php?t=42189

Fuel pump information.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by redjay; 09-13-2023 at 01:24 PM.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:44 PM   #6

Running rich by smoke

Old 09-18-2023, 12:01 AM   #7

A restricted fuel system cannot foul spark plugs by default.

Vernon

Old 09-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Has the Cobra tuner been disconnected as suggested in post #3 ?

Old 09-19-2023, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Has the Cobra tuner been disconnected as suggested in post #3 ?
Yes. We disconnected it the other week. I swapped out the plugs for some fresh ones. I rode it for about 80 miles. Went to gas station, after filling it started sputtering again.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:03 PM   #10

The Fuel Injection is out of calibration and too much fuel is being dispensed. There's a sensor that is defective or the fuel pressure is too high.

This is what I do for a living quite well.

Vernon

Old 09-19-2023, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniac View Post
The Fuel Injection is out of calibration and too much fuel is being dispensed. There's a sensor that is defective or the fuel pressure is too high.

This is what I do for a living quite well.

Vernon
So start with your suggestions in first reply? Digital injectors sensors, etc?

Old 09-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #12

Yes, get a factory repair manual, I found mine on Ebay for about $35 digging through the $50 ones. A DVOM to actually compare the voltages the sensors are producing compared to the charts in the manual for correct range. The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor or what ever Kawi calls it would be a big suspect with this issue. Sweep the TPS slowly in the range you cruise at and watch for a drop or dip, bump etc. that isn't linear. A hand vacuum pump with a gauge would be necessary to check the MAP Manifold Air Pressure sensor. Obviously, fuel pressure will take some rigging of available tools to check. I don't remember seeing a test port valve.

With the fuel tuner module active the readings will be different than factory specs.

Vernon

Old 10-02-2023, 10:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedGrappler504 View Post
Hey ya'll, so I've got a new issue thats been troubling me. Bike has been running great for a while now, but I noticed a little miss a few months ago. Plugs looked clean, wires looked good. I swapped out the coils with a set from Rick's motorsports. I added a little bit of sea foam. Ran the bike for about a month with zero issues. It ran great actually. Then the bike started missing again. Started light, then got to be violent. Pulled the plugs out, and they were black. Went to local auto part store and got a set of universal wires. Swapped them out, cleaned the plugs. Ran great for about 300 miles. Started missing again, bike would chug along at steady RPMS. Only time it was a smooth ride was during acceleration. Pulled plugs, completely black again. Is there a specific set of plug wires I need? The set i have are 500 ohm copper core. Are the Ricks coils no good for an '04 1600? Do i need hotter plugs? What am i overlooking? has my cobra FI gone bad? Do i even need the tuner? It only has a cobra exhaust on it. Has a factory air intake.

attached video link so you can hear what it sounds like

Weelllllll, if you've replaced the stock exhaust and otherwise you have a stock engine, you don't need the tuner....just my 2 pecos....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 10-03-2023, 09:09 AM   #14
Top Contributor

I bought brand new NGK spark plugs a few years ago at the dealers and only one worked.
I put the old plugs back in and the bike ran fine.
I heard there have been issues with counterfeit spark plugs being sold online and maybe the dealer had unknowingly bought some.
Try some new plugs ?

Old 10-04-2023, 12:46 AM   #15

OK, just relaxing, eating some nacho's and drinking a cup of coffee....and reading about BeardedGrapplers problem....
OK bike was running well, then developed a miss. Then you threw some coils at it, and plugwires. Ran good for 300 miles, then it started again.

Well, 300 miles won't wear out your coils. Are you sure that its gas fouling? I believe theres another underlying problem that hasn't been addressed.
What you need to do is start with a good base line tune. Put everything back the was it was, even disconnecting your tuner. I mean take it completely outta the loop.
Put in some fresh gas, fresh iridium plugs from napa, oreillys or autozone....where ever you get your parts.
Clean your air cleaner, fresh oil, filter....leaving nothing to chance....
Crank your bike up, air cleaner open, get a spray bottle of water get her up about 3000 rpm and spray----MIST----into your throttlebody as the engine is running.
This will decarbon your engine....as your engine starts to choke down, stop spraying. As it clears up, spray some more. Keep doing this till you've used about half your bottle.
Now, after all this, we're ready to find your problem....
You just don't start throwing parts at a bike trying to fix it. We now need to look for whats wrong. Do a compression test, then a leakdown test. Yes, your compression might look a little funky....cause your engine has a built in compression release....
After you do this, tell use what you found....
All this can get a bit complicated, but we're here to help you.... I've was a wrench-jocky at a dealership for 30+ years, so, you gotta lot to stuff to look at on these bikes. 90% of the time its usually something simple....your bike is telling you something is wrong, you gotta be a detective to find it....
We're here for ya bro....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 10-04-2023 at 12:48 AM.