Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

New Cobra Tri-flow slip-ons

Does anyone know much about the new cobra tri-flo slip-ons for the 2015 vaquero? I'm thinking they must be fairly new because I don't recall seeing them online a few weeks ago. I had contacted V&H to see if they were going to come out with a version that already had the O2 sensor port but their response was "we're not sure if we are going to develop a version for the 2015/16 vulcans." So I decided to take a peek at the cobra site again. I had cobras on my honda and I really liked the sound of them. However all the comparisons between the tri-ovals and slash cut v&h had me leaning towards the v&h.

The tri-flo slip-ons have a triangular profile like the tri-ovals but with a single 3" core. I personally like the look of them better than the tri-ovals (which are pretty sweet looking to begin with ).

I guess I'll be saving my pennies over the winter!

http://www.cobrausa.com/kawasaki/vul...mufflers/4228/

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by MorganB; 11-24-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #2

Nice, I emailed them about a month ago asking about them and they said soon. I like the look of the previous version a little better with the dual chamber, but I bet these will sound better and be less restrictive with the single open chamber. May go with these as freedom hasn't responded if they will be making a version of they'res with a spot for the O2 sensor or not, and I've run Cobras on my 900 and 1600 and been very pleased with the look, finish, and sound.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

The original tri-ovals were fairly restrictive. These new tri-flow with a straight thru baffle should have a MUCH better sound and with improved performance over the tri-ovals.

These should now be the equivalent to the V&h slip-ons in sound and performance.

RACNRAY

Old 11-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
The original tri-ovals were fairly restrictive. These new tri-flow with a straight thru baffle should have a MUCH better sound and with improved performance over the tri-ovals.

These should now be the equivalent to the V&h slip-ons in sound and performance.

RACNRAY
That's what I was thinking/hoping too. I also see there is a new PCV model specific to the 2015's. Model 17-064 which comes with an o2 optimizer. However that negates the need for the o2 sensor port in the slip-ons...unless I decide to go with an Autotune later. Hmmm

Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #5

Would simply changing mufflers require any tuning as long as the O2 sensor is retained? The backpressure drops, but will the change be so significant that the ECU can't adjust? I ask because I've done this many times to cars with no need for any tuning afterwards since I just want the looks and the sound.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman77 View Post
Would simply changing mufflers require any tuning as long as the O2 sensor is retained? The backpressure drops, but will the change be so significant that the ECU can't adjust? I ask because I've done this many times to cars with no need for any tuning afterwards since I just want the looks and the sound.
From what I've read you can get away without a fuel processor if you are only changing the mufflers...however you do run the risk of running lean due to the already lean setting from factory. I've researched this quite a bit and it seems like the fuel processor is definitely worth it due to better performance, equal or increased fuel mileage, and lessening the risk of running too lean. Like you, I wanted the looks and sound but have decided to hold off until I can do the slip-ons, fuel processor and air kit.

Hopefully others will respond. I'm new to fuel injected bikes so I'm still learning.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #7

I get apprehensive about doing mods to the engine or drivetrain when I read so many posts about the mods gone bad. I tend to only do aesthetic mods. I really wish that more companies made exhausts for the Vaquero but I understand why they don't (like, as many as there are for Harley). I really like the looks of the mufflers with black tips like the Reinharts but I don't know of any exhausts for the 2015 Vaquero with that look.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman77 View Post
I get apprehensive about doing mods to the engine or drivetrain when I read so many posts about the mods gone bad. I tend to only do aesthetic mods. I really wish that more companies made exhausts for the Vaquero but I understand why they don't (like, as many as there are for Harley). I really like the looks of the mufflers with black tips like the Reinharts but I don't know of any exhausts for the 2015 Vaquero with that look.
I haven't read too many issues about mods gone bad with respect to the big three. Freedom Performance offers two models...a 2 into 1 and a true dual exhaust...both available with black tips.

http://www.freedomperform.com/kawasaki/vaquero-nomad-combat-2-into-1/

Old 12-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #9

Roger that and tip is perfect. But I only want slip ons and I want to retain the dual exhaust look. To be honest, I like the look of the stock exhaust up to the point where the mufflers are attached. The one thing I don't like about the true duals is that most have the front cylinder's pipe hang too low as it goes under the bike. The stock setup hides that crossover point pretty well.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I am very happy with the V&H twin slash cut slip ons. Great sound and performance. Deep rumble not loud and annoying. I csn hear my radio up to about 80 mph. And its the wind noise that drowns it out, not the exhaust.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman77
... But I only want slip-ons and I want to retain the dual exhaust look. To be honest, I like the look of the stock exhaust up to the point where the mufflers are attached. ... The stock setup hides that crossover point pretty well.
Greetings,

What Ken Vega stated. The V&H slips on look and sound very good. You get to retain the stock header portion and crossover, then finish with nice looking and sounding slip-ons. A twenty minute modification.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115