Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

slip on mufflers for 2015 vaquero

please help i have been told by my dealer tha there are no slip ons for the 2015 model,also is fuel managment really necessary. all i want is a louder/deeper tone

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

Probably best answered by someone with a 2015 and has tried or knows of any issues. But just a quick check of exhaust manufactures like Vance And Hines or Cobra to see whats listed on their sites for a 2015. I can't see there not being some choices out there...if all else fails, de-baffling might be a consideration. From all that I've read about the fuel mngt., it seems that the general consensus is that it's only a must if you install a BAK.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

Cobra has slip ons that work with the 02 sensor

http://www.cobrausa.com/kawasaki/vul...llet_tip/4230/

Here in California I'm going to go this route because they are California Street Legal for our smog laws.

I have heard rumors that California will be going to an annual inspection that will require bikes to be EPA/smog legal to register each year for our tags.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 11-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd hog View Post
cobra has slip ons that work with the 02 sensor

http://www.cobrausa.com/kawasaki/vul...llet_tip/4230/

here in california i'm going to go this route because they are california street legal for our smog laws.

I have heard rumors that california will be going to an annual inspection that will require bikes to be epa/smog legal to register each year for our tags.
ouch!!!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #5

cobra also lists the tri-oval exhaust for 2015. sku#4228 for $100 bucks more. so does this mean that because there is a 02 sensor you wont get decel popping with the freer flowing exhaust?
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie View Post
cobra also lists the tri-oval exhaust for 2015. sku#4228 for $100 bucks more. so does this mean that because there is a 02 sensor you wont get decel popping with the freer flowing exhaust?
Popping on decel after the installation of slip-ons is due to a few factors.

First, these engines have decel popping with stock mufflers but due to stock mufflers being, well, good muffling devices, you hear none or very little.

Also since slip-ons do not contain catalyzers as stock mufflers do there will be an increase in decel popping.

All the O2 sensor does is to allow a voltage signal to be sent to the ECU to enable the ECU to operate in the closed loop mode.

RACNRAY

Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
ouch!!!
Yes, this is why I'm going to leave my bike CA smog legal. I heard that they will be going back to 2000 and up for inspections. I hope this is not true but I can see CA doing this for all the revenue it will raise.

Already, no manufacturer can ship a non legal device to CA or they are subject to a $10,000 fine. It will only get worse over time.

Maybe if the bikers with the excessively loud pipes would have toned it down we wouldn't be headed this way. Now we will all have to pay the price on this.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Last edited by JD Hog; 03-11-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Popping on decel after the installation of slip-ons is due to a few factors.

First, these engines have decel popping with stock mufflers but due to stock mufflers being, well, good muffling devices, you hear none or very little.

Also since slip-ons do not contain catalyzers as stock mufflers do there will be an increase in decel popping.

All the O2 sensor does is to allow a voltage signal to be sent to the ECU to enable the ECU to operate in the closed loop mode.

RACNRAY
so would the stock ECU compensate for a free`r flowing exhaust by keeping the 02 sensor connected? the reason I ask is that the cobra power pro and the PCV alone dont have any wiring for the 02 sensor so whats the point of buying a exhaust with one.
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 11-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie View Post
so would the stock ECU compensate for a free`r flowing exhaust by keeping the 02 sensor connected? the reason I ask is that the cobra power pro and the PCV alone dont have any wiring for the 02 sensor so whats the point of buying a exhaust with one.
The O2 sensor affects the a/f ratio ONLY in the area where emission testing is done, which is usually up to 20% throttle and 3000 rpm, and it's affect on a/f ratio is limited to emission compliance and the a/f ratio required. This is the "closed loop" area of operation, outside of this area the ECU operates in open loop mode.

The FI system can only make changes to injector signals based on voltage signals sent to the ECU from the O2,air and coolant temp, MAP, throttle position and crankshaft speed sensors. An aftermarket exhaust will have an affect on intake vacuum thus the MAP sensor will send a different voltage signal to the ECU which will then alter the signals sent to the injectors.

The stock ECU cannot "compensate" for anything unless it receives the appropriate voltage signals from any of the sensors that would dictate a needed change.

Installing an exhaust with the provision for an O2 sensor is to allow the FI system to operate as intended with both closed and open loop systems operational. Any aftermarket FI tuning device will have to have an "O2 eliminator" of some type (PCV'S have this device) which overrides the closed loop function of the ECU and allows full FI tuning of all areas. Otherwise no tuning can be achieved in the closed loop area.

The new California law is basically the same as Federal law that has been on the books for ions. But with a state law on the books it is much easier for state law enforcement to enforce those laws rather than a federal task force (LOL) chasing us around.

To be completely legal in California any aftermarket performance doodad must have a CARB exempt status which means the doodad meets the laws, no increase in emissions or sound levels beyond what is allowed.

For ANY skoot with an O2 sensor that gets performance mods, the proper method is to have an FI tuning device that cancels out the closed loop operation of the ECU. If I install an exhaust with an O2 port we install the O2 sensor (unless we have a block off plug) but leave the O2 sensor disconnected. The PCV's we use come with O2 eliminators so I can completely tune all areas of operation.

RACNRAY

Old 11-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #10

thank you ray for taking the time to educate me on this. I do appreciate it. I also see PCV sells the Auto Tune AT-200. is this worth the extra money or not necesary?
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 11-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #11

ok i am confused know,to technical for me short answer please is it a must to do fuel managment

Old 11-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #12

also i am looking at the 4 inch cobras with 2.5 inch baffles if this make a difference thanks i appreciate the advice

Old 11-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
ok i am confused know,to technical for me short answer please is it a must to do fuel managment
Huh?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
Since m/c emission laws went into affect in 1979 ALL skoots benefit from fine tuning, even stock skoots. This is most noticeable in the areas where the a/f ratio has been fuddled with to make the EPA happy.

In my experience installation of s/ons does not require a "must do" of the FI system. The chance of a lean a/f ration is usually ONLY in the closed loop area and unless you notice surging/hesitation/loss of power or any type of poor running then FI tuning is not a must.

RACNRAY

Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #15

that i understand, thanks much