Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #16

Concealed Carry on Bike

I carry my Glock 26 in a shoulder holster, the 357 Mag derringer in my pocket and the Ruger 357 on my hip in a high ride holster. NEVER, NEVER, EVER leave a firearm unattended. It's for your protection, keep it on YOU.
Endowment member NRA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #17

Concealed Carry on Bike

Quote:
I'm glad you asked this unwind2.

The whole purpose for me doing this is to be able to carry while I'm on the bike trips I take each year. Sometimes, I camp out and sometimes I stay in some pretty seedy hotels (I'm cheap).
Thanks Trip...was hoping you would not mind my bringing up this subject. I just finished the class and for the same reason. We camp out and I do take some trips on the bike by myself.....ie to meet up later with other ladies and.....decided to carry.

My mother was molested a few years ago. It was 7 am she was stading at a bus stop waiting on the bus. Young man just walked up to her....did not say a word.....did not go for her purse....just grabbed her breast......she was very traumatized of course and severaly bruised and sore. She just kept screaming at the top of her lungs and people began opening their doors and yelling at the boy that they had called the police. He did not stop until one man yelled out his door 'I've got a gun'....then he took off. As he was running off Mom thought she saw him pull out a knife.

I'm sure Kawgirl has had the same situation as me.....sitting at a red light on the bike....guys in vehicles yell at you....some nice comments....sometimes not so nice. But there they know you're by yourself. 'nuf said.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #18
Top Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

In the winter, I use either a regular or shoulder holster and keep my coat on. No need to advertise as you will make some folks uneasy and I dont like to advertise the fact that I have a weapon.

In the summer I use a belly band when on my person (which is where it is 95% of the time if it is with me, the other I may lock it in the saddlebag if I can keep an eye on the bike). This is an elastic type band that goes around your belly tightly with a pocket for your weapon. My .357 revolver can be worn with a loose t-shirt and you wont know it is there. (Disclaimer - I do have a little more belly than some of you). My auto's are a little to big. Small .38 airweight is a nice one to carry too, just not a lot of fire power.

NC's CC permit is reciprocal with 30 other states. Check the laws in the states you may be traveling through. One of the requirements we have is that you may not carry concealed with ANY alcohol in your system...not even a swallow of beer....no .08 or anything.

To someone's point of never being in a situation that you needed it....our state require's that you be in fear for your or someone else's life to consider deadly force .(if you are banging on my door at 3am like a crazy person trying to get in my home, you will be putting me in fear for my family's life...Dont have to wait for you to cross the threshold)...I have been in one situation where I did have to pull it out and hope I never have to again. It's one thing to think about it, but when it happens, and I consider myself a big relatively tough kinda guy, it's one of the scariest things I have ever been through. Luckily the other person was bluffing and when called on it, quickly vacated the scene before doing something really stupid (later to be picked up by local law enforcement ) However, finger on the trigger does not make you feel invincible...made me nearly sh*t my pants.

Just be educated and be confident if you decide you want to have one with you.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 12-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #19

Concealed Carry on Bike

Todd - I have looked at the belly band and may get on of those. Folks that have them seem to like them. I have already signed up for some advance classes....teaches you not only more shooting skills (low light situations) but behavior and different things to watch for ......ie things like some we should all know....at a mall not parking way out by yourself in dark spot, don't have your hand loaded up with packages, beware of your surroundings...etc.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 12-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

My one situation, the guy was obviously blitzed (as well as his two friends) I realized when I got close to them after I got them stopped in my yard...I realized at that point his was probably harmless and just a drunk fool.....but then he said he had a machine gun and started to reach behind the seat in his vehicle (The police that came out said I was a patient man.....at that point he said he would have dropped the guy) Anyway, your point is a good one that you need to know the behavior and what you are dealing with.....

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Concealed Carry on Bike

I have a concealed weapons permit in Idaho but it is more to keep me out of trouble during my occasional hunting and camping trips than to pack a pistol. Mine is kind of hard to conceal anyway unless I'm wearing a large winter coat. Not really interested in carrying a weapon unless this world of our really starts to fall apart. Let us pray that does not happen.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 12-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

First, i want to state that there is a difference between carrying a gun in your saddle bag and carrying it concealed on your person, at least in some places. Anyway, I used to have a carry permit in NY, which is a little more stringent than most states. I haven't gotten one since I have come out to Iowa, but I am thinking of it, but I do not carry any firearms when I drive or ride nowadays anyway. There used to be a website called packing.org and now it as been replaced by http://www.usacarry.com/. You may want to research it before carrying while riding.

Quote:
Okay....first what I'm not asking.....is how you feel about gun ownership......if this veers off into a debate on gun ownership I would hope and expect that Trip would shut the thread down. Debates about gun ownership, abortion, athletes taking steroids etc...belong somewhere else not here.

What I am curious about is those of you who have a concealed carry and carry whilst on bike trips is what works best for you....carry on person, in saddlebag, in tank bag etc....
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #23

Concealed Carry on Bike

[quote Not really interested in carrying a weapon unless this world of our really starts to fall apart. [/quote]

Mall shootings, School shootings, Snipers on major highways, disgruntled workers shooting their former co-workers, children shot in there mormon class room, how fer would it have to fall?
Trip, if you feel this is not appropreate for this thread feel free to deleate it.
unwind2 , If you feel this is what you did not want this thread to turn into,PM me and I ewill deleate it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #24

Concealed Carry on Bike

You are right TC, there is a lot of craziness in the world and the news likes to report on all of the bad stuff. Not intending to minimize it but really the overall chance that any one of us will come face to face with a looney tune gun wielding nutcase who needs shot is pretty slim. There is a lot of responsibility in carrying a gun and even more if it is drawn to use on another human being. Don't get me wrong. I support your right to do so if that is your choice. Just saying that right now it is not mine. Carry on.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

You may also want to check here: http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/

Quote:
First, i want to state that there is a difference between carrying a gun in your saddle bag and carrying it concealed on your person, at least in some places. Anyway, I used to have a carry permit in NY, which is a little more stringent than most states. I haven't gotten one since I have come out to Iowa, but I am thinking of it, but I do not carry any firearms when I drive or ride nowadays anyway. There used to be a website called packing.org and now it as been replaced by http://www.usacarry.com/. You may want to research it before carrying while riding.

[quote:spy76al9]Okay....first what I'm not asking.....is how you feel about gun ownership......if this veers off into a debate on gun ownership I would hope and expect that Trip would shut the thread down. Debates about gun ownership, abortion, athletes taking steroids etc...belong somewhere else not here.

What I am curious about is those of you who have a concealed carry and carry whilst on bike trips is what works best for you....carry on person, in saddlebag, in tank bag etc....
[/quote:spy76al9]
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Concealed Carry on Bike

Thank goodness for HR218. I can carry in any state. I also have a permit for my state, which technically I don't need anymore.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 12-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #27

Concealed Carry on Bike

I wish we could carry here, but our laws are so draconian that only crooks carry here. Unless your in law enforcement or some type of security work carry permits are impossible to get. If you belong to a gun club you can take your firearm directly to and from home only locked in a case by a direct route . If you don't belong to a club you have to notify the police that you want to transport your gun and wait until its approved, when you get the paperwork in the mail there is a timeframe that the permit is good for. This is required even if you take it to the gunsmith for service.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #28

Concealed Carry on Bike

And to think, there are people here who want us to model ourselves after Canada. No offense Ringadingh.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 12-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #29
Top Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

Ruger SS .357 Mag 4 inch barrel pretty easy to conceal about anyplace and works very effectively!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #30

Concealed Carry on Bike

Here is a helpful website for reciprocity agreements between states.
http://handgunlaw.us

JohnR