Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

California Model Vaquero

I live smack-dab in the Midwest. When I picked up my new 2013 Vaquero a while back I noticed a very small imperfection in the paint on the gas tank. The dealer insisted that I get a new tank so the bike would be perfect. I went in on Saturday for the install of the new tank. A while later the wrench came out an said that he ordered the wrong tank. He was unaware that I had a California emissions model bike. The tank connections are different. They are ordering a new tank again.

My question: What are the differences between a regular Vaquero and a California model. I know it had more emission controls but what does that mean for me in terms of power, maintenance, value, etc.? Did I get a more expensive bike for the money I paid? Did I somehow get screwed? Your opinions and information?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I would have thought the VIN number would have told them what tank to order and that Kawasaki would need the VIN number to authorize the replacement under warranty ?

Not sure if you got screwed with a California model or not.
Did they have to special order it for you ? If so maybe there was only a California model available ?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I would have thought the VIN number would have told them what tank to order and that Kawasaki would need the VIN number to authorize the replacement under warranty ?

Not sure if you got screwed with a California model or not.
Did they have to special order it for you ? If so maybe there was only a California model available ?

They said the VIN did not have the normal letters that indicated a California model but that it certainly was one. Yes is was a special order. Good point.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Personally, I wouldn't want a California model. Too much emissions crap. Just that much harder to get aftermarket parts for it if you wanted them that is ... If I were you I would find out exactly what is different than a 49 state legal bike.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffey67 View Post
I live smack-dab in the Midwest. When I picked up my new 2013 Vaquero a while back I noticed a very small imperfection in the paint on the gas tank. The dealer insisted that I get a new tank so the bike would be perfect. I went in on Saturday for the install of the new tank. A while later the wrench came out an said that he ordered the wrong tank. He was unaware that I had a California emissions model bike. The tank connections are different. They are ordering a new tank again.

My question: What are the differences between a regular Vaquero and a California model. I know it had more emission controls but what does that mean for me in terms of power, maintenance, value, etc.? Did I get a more expensive bike for the money I paid? Did I somehow get screwed? Your opinions and information?
As far as I can tell from reviewing the shop manual, the California Model also has an evaporative cannister. The cannister only collects the vapor from the fuel tank to prevent hydrocarbons from venting to atmosphere. The 49 State version and the Canadian version simply vents the tank to the atmosphere with a simple overflow drain hose.

That said, the California version should not impede performance one iota from the 49 State/Canadian version. It simply has more complicated and ugly plumbing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #6

The California bike won't have any less performance tha the regular bikes, just that cannister is installed.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #7

Yeasr ago there was a performance loss suffered by Skoots meeting California's stricter emmissions laws. Carbs had smaller bores, cams had milder specs and the ignition boxes had different timng specs as to static, full advance and the timing curve. Not so anymore. With the advent of the sophisticated electronics, clean air injection and catylizers on modern skoots there is no performance loss.

The Cali vehicles do have "evaporative emmissions standards" they must meet, which nessecitates charcoal canisters to capture those fumes that escape from the tank.

Obviously the tanks will have different fittings. A "California" model tank can be used on a non-Cali skoot as long as the vent port is used to vent the tank and the extra port on the
tank is plugged up. A non Cali tank can't be used on a Cali model if all the evaporative stuff is left on.

RACNRAY