Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada West Group

Old 06-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Over priced HD accessories

Took my bike to Calgary on Sunday and back home again on the Monday. Great weather and a fantastic two days of riding. Decided to stop in Red Deer and check out the HD dealership there located on gasoline alley. I wanted a set of vest extenders because I don't like buttoning up my leather vest , but hate it worst if I leave it flapping in the breeze. They only had one set ( skulls of course ) and they wanted $37 bucks. So I said thanks but no thanks, then asked if they had bottle holders. They directed me to the parts department where the parts man said he would have to order it in. I said who is your supplier? and he said they get them from Karyakann. He then said "would you like me to order you one?" and I said why? and pay your extra charges when I can order it myself from their web site. He didn't like that and turned around and walked away from me.

Then, when I went back outside to mount the bike and take off, a group of HD riders were milling around and one of them asked me if I really like that Jap crap I was riding? I simply said that what they were looking at was approximately $17000 worth of bike, what was yours worth? The one fellow said, " ya, but at least its a Harley" I then responded " well, they sure have you and your friends figured out" Then I took off reaffirming my own beliefs that the HD crowd is about image only and nothing to do with value. Notice I didn't say "quality" because I have no issue with the mechanical side of HD, just their marketing and pricing. They've got those poor souls believing that they're really something special.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Kevin,
I'm of the opinion that even they don't think there is much quality in what they ride. I had a Harley riding behind/beside me one day and when we took off from a light, a side cover of his fell off, I turned to see what the noise was and there he was holding up traffic picking it up. At the next light I looked over at him and he just shrugged, and said it's a Harley, wha'da ya expect? They know what they got.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #3

I really can't believe that guy asked that question "do you really like that jap bike". I think I would have responded in one of two ways:

1: Do you like your jap bike? (After all we all know how much non-American stuff Is on those bike.

2: Do you really have that many boyfriends? ( keep in mind this response is likely to result in a physical altercation so be prepared)

Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

It hasn't happened yet, but with my recent installs of a Harly fairing and trunk,...[ even the headlight has the shield on it ] I'm waiting to hear, "why didn't you just buy a Harley??
I have a couple of responses for that question.
How about,... "because then I'd have a Harley", or "because I wanted some of the things I like about Harley, without the all the negative things that Harley has".

Kevin, I'm not sure if it ever took place but there was a rumor a while back that Honda bought a controlling number of shares in Harley.

But in fairness, not all Harley owners are as ignorant as the guys you had the misfortune of running into. I think G.L. Wilson still visits here.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #5

voyager>>
Then, when I went back outside to mount the bike and take off, a group of HD riders were milling around and one of them asked me if I really like that Jap crap I was riding? I simply said that what they were looking at was approximately $17000 worth of bike, what was yours worth? The one fellow said, " ya, but at least its a Harley" I then responded " well, they sure have you and your friends figured out&quot
<<

What's wrong with those people, I cannot understand. Maybe I mentioned this on here before but here we go again. Several years back I took a Harley Davidson maintenance course (general bike maintenance course was full) where I learned their carburetors were made in Japan. I was stunned. The instructor, a foreman at Trev Deeley's at the time, was a nice British guy who had grown up with British bikes and he did not care for that Harley attitude.

When we were on HWY 3 coming home from 2500+ km trip a few weeks ago, the Harley riders suddenly stopped waving at us. It was so noticeable, even my wife was annoyed and she went: don't wave at them, the city boys.

They are a social phenomenon. I'm really curious to learn what makes them think or feel they are and/or their bikes are superior to us or metric bikes. Probably I'll never learn because I always stay away from HD people in all bike events and very rarely talk to them.

As far as HDs vs. metrics, I think they're equally good bikes and the only difference is that Harleys are more expensive.

And that's my daily Harley bashing...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #6

I ride with lots of harley riders and have no problems with them. BUT there is a general attitude amongst some of them that a harley is the only bike to have and good for them. My attitude is go f#%$ yourself and the bike they rode in when they flaunt their ignorance apon me. Most of their rides take all day to get it together and its from bar to bar which includes all the attire too. I usually don't ride with them anymore because when I go for a ride..I go for a ride! Hence, I usually ride alone in my area...John

Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #7

Kevin, If you are in the Calgary area again and looking for "stuff" this shop carries a lot of it, and can get most anything in. Well worth checking out. And they are friendly guy's to boot.
http://www.chrometoys.com/

Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Obviously none of you guys from around Edmonton have come south on your Nomads. Unfortunately the prevailing attitude to metrics in Southern Alberta is that they are Jap Crap. Don't be offended, we have dealt with that attitude for years around here and you learn to ignore it.

I personally never had any feelings one way or the other about what anyone was riding but over the years but have developed the same attitude toward the HD riders as they have to me.

We recently had the pleasure of having the local HD dealership give us the finger while we sat at a red light and he made a left turn in front of us. We've known the man for years and a few months ago he tried to hit us with his truck and trailer when we would not move out of his way quick enough so I guess that's what the finger was for.

I call him the little prick - he's about 5'2" tall and likes to stick to everyone - so the moniker fits perfectly.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #9

voyager>>
Then, when I went back outside to mount the bike and take off, a group of HD riders were milling around and one of them asked me if I really like that Jap crap I was riding? I simply said that what they were looking at was approximately $17000 worth of bike, what was yours worth? The one fellow said, " ya, but at least its a Harley" I then responded " well, they sure have you and your friends figured out"
<<

Here's what happened yesterday:

I'm riding to the shop to get my new tires installed, stop at the intersection just before the Iron Worker's Memorial Bridge. And an older softtail pulls in beside me. I check him out using my peripheral vision and see a typical guy so I ignore him. A few moments later, he opens up his mouth and mumbles how many CCs is that "thing", emphasizing the "thing". I go "1600", he goes "WOOW" and we take off.

He's either unfamiliar with the area or he's an idiot (probably both), he changes to the right lane which is about to end in about 50 yards riding like a maniac. Anyways we merge in to the bridge traffic, he is still riding like a maniac, I maintain my proper lane position in the middle lane behind him but he's doing erratic things. The traffic slows down toward the bridge apex and I think I should get out of there, after a quick shoulder check, I move onto the left lane and I take off. After a few moments, he is on my right mirror and not following me.

No matter how hard you try to avoid these guys, they sometimes come at you. The bike looked nice though, it had a very bright headlight, needles to say, had also very loud pipes.

And that's my daily HD bashing this morning.

E.