Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Fuel Leak

So, while installing my Baron BAK and block off plates, I didn't take the tank all the way off and just leaned it side to side as needed.

So once everything was buttoned up, I test fired the bike and it ran, but I noticed a steady stream of gas coming from under the tank. From what I can tell it's either the line feeding the fuel pressure regulator or the regulator itself.

My money is on the line, since it's possible I had the tank tilted a little too far left for its liking.

Darkness set in and I had to call it a night.

So I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get a replacement hose. The upper half of the hose had some sort of wrap on it.

It's an 05 1500 Classic.

Any thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Hello reitman . I don't think it's necessary to change the hose at all. When you lifted the tank you probably pulled the hose loose . The one that goes from the tank to the regulator . That one only uses a pressure clamps at both ends.
My bike did the same thing ( fuel dripping off the regulator ) I had the tank lifted earlier this summer and was out for a ride when I noticed fuel on the ground at our local ice cream shop. Took the bike home pulled the tank and put a good clamp on the end at the regulator. No leaks

The other hose ( fuel return to tank ) has a cloth cover . Each end has a special fitting with push in tabs to remove. You push the tabs in and pull. This unit has compression o-rings to seal . Doubt this is the problem .

Sound like you have an easy fix on your hands !!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Well that is certainly good news. I'll check as soon as I get home from work tomorrow. The Power Commander 3 still needs to go in, so hopefully it's just a loose hose.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

I'm sure that's all it is . I'm not a fan of compression clamps so I change them out when I need too.

I was using the PC3 for a couple of years and the set-up was very good . You should see a nice gain in power with your bike.

Enjoy the new ride !!!

Old 09-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #5

Guess I got lucky. Turns out the hose that attaches to the pressure regulator was missing the clamp. I could tell one had been on there at one point, but no clue when it went missing. Put a new one on and good as new.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Great news !!! Now get that PC3 hooked up and put some miles on her !!!

I would recommend getting your bike dyno'd . The stock map wasn't to bad but when I got the bike dyno'd it made a huge difference.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #7

Well, at $250 for a dynojet tune, I think the map I downloaded will have to do for now. Hahaha.

Haven't had it out for a real ride yet, but down the street and back revealed the absurd throttle response it now has.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitman View Post
So, while installing my Baron BAK and block off plates, I didn't take the tank all the way off and just leaned it side to side as needed.

So once everything was buttoned up, I test fired the bike and it ran, but I noticed a steady stream of gas coming from under the tank. From what I can tell it's either the line feeding the fuel pressure regulator or the regulator itself.

My money is on the line, since it's possible I had the tank tilted a little too far left for its liking.

Darkness set in and I had to call it a night.

So I'm wondering how difficult it will be to get a replacement hose. The upper half of the hose had some sort of wrap on it.

It's an 05 1500 Classic.

Any thoughts?
Tighten the hose clamps. Something I have to do occasionally.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

I hear yah ! Dyno's are expensive. Nothing wrong with using the maps they offer. Once I changed my pipes to V&H duels I had to take it in because I couldn't get rid of the popping.

Glad your getting out for rides now !!!