Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #1

1600 running rough......sometimes

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has had this issue before. recently I picked up a 2006 nomad with approx. 35k on it, it ran decent for the 1st 600 miles (stalled occasionally when I came to stop lights) so I figured I would do some maintenance and clean the throttle body and air filter. after I did this it ran worse with the FI light coming on occasionally. this problem only occurs some times and so sporadic. I can stop at 1 stop light and it will idle fine and the next one it starts to idle low and dies, (some back firing through the throttle body as well occasionally). I had it parked for about a month and when I first fired it up again it ran beautifully for the first 30 miles then slowly started acting up again. any ideas? thanks JT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #2

I would add some fresh 91+ octane, about 3/4 tank and then add some seafoam to the gas. Not sure what the can can recommends per gallon, but if you have clogged ejectors, the seafoam will help clean them up. It may take a couple of applications to get them good and clean. The seafoam will not harm the engine. I use it in all my small engines, cars, boat, bike about twice a year. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Barry
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
2008 Vulcan 900 LT (sold)
Trinity, Al.
Roll Tide

Old 09-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

Definitely start with Seafoam. 1/3 can per tank. Run 3 tanks in a row with Seafoam.

Also, check to make sure you didn't pinch your spark plug wires in the air filter cover.

After running a few tanks with Seafoam, change out your spark plugs with new NGK Iridium plugs.

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 09-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

Since it was parked for 30 days I'm thinking your gas is deteriateing and has picked up moisture. Gas with ethanol can do that quite quickly. If it doesn't run better after 2-3 tankfuls with seafoam, I would take the tank off and dump every last bit of gas, then add fresh.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 09-28-2015, 05:40 PM   #5

I agree with the great guys above !!! Probably have some bad gas in the tank . I would also check battery voltage . I'd throw it on a charger/tender for the night .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #6

Sounds kinda like what my bike did. During long rides I would come into a small town pull up to a street light and it would back fire and die but it alway started right up and ran great. When it first started I had a power commander so I switched to a TFI but the gas mileage went to hell so I switched back. Now I run a EJK and its stopped. My bike did this for 20,000 miles or so off and on. I tried everything to remedy the problem but nothing seem to help. Last year at the antlers rally I was just going around a corner pulled in the clucth and it just died.
I don't know if you have a fuel processor or not but I thought I would share

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 09-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

I thought I would add this, 90% of the time everything mentioned above works and I tried it all but for some reason it didn't work for me. My Nomad always ran great and my problem wasn't constant so it seemed more like a nuisance than a real problem.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 09-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #8

running poor

thanks for the replies guys, I have added seafoam and always ran 91 octane. I forgot to mention that when I cleaned the air filter I also sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body , reving it and spraying. after I did this the FI light started to come on periodically and started running poorly

Last edited by jt1977; 09-29-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #9

Just wondering . . When you sprayed carb cleaner into the TB did you happen to shine a light into to see how clean it actually was ? It should "shine" . If there is a bit of built up carbon your bike won't run nearly is well as it should. Using seafoam and a toothbrush would be better than just spraying.
I would also try unplugging the temp sensor , the one that looks like a small copper nipple ( I know ) on the plate just below the crankcase breather. Check the connections and make sure it's clean and it wouldn't hurt to clean that sensor with some sensor clean as well.
What is your RPM set at ?? It also sound as though it might be to low. If the FI light is coming on at low idle that could be the issue too . These bikes are meant to idle a bit faster than normal.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #10

I had something similar happen with my bike. It took me a while, but I tracked it down to a broken wire (barely making contact) going to the TPS located between the heads behind the right side dog bowl. The TPS is on top of the throttle body and controls fuel flow to the injectors and sends the information to the ECU. Next time your bike starts to run bad, you can try reaching your fingers up into that area and move the wires going to the TPS and see if your bikes idle smooth's out.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k

Last edited by gillisfire; 09-30-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #11

I'll add another bit........I had a Power Commander on my 1500 for a while and it started to act as you describe......I found the wire to the TPS was broken in two (one of those push on connectors) it would make contact intermittently. Removed the PC and fixed the wire and all was good.

Also as mentioned above...........the throttle bodies must be "clean".

Old 09-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1977 View Post
thanks for the replies guys, I have added seafoam and always ran 91 octane. I forgot to mention that when I cleaned the air filter I also sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body , reving it and spraying. after I did this the FI light started to come on periodically and started running poorly

Take the tank off the bike and completely drain it. Let dry and re-install with fresh fuel. You most likely have some water in the tank which will NOT be removed by any additives including Seafoam. Keep in mind water is denser than gasoline which means the water will always be in the tank unless you run the tank completely empty. You'd be surprised how much water can get into a motorcycle tank from things like washing and rain storms.

Just drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel. Don't rely on additives to do the job.....they won't.