Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #16
Top Contributor

Check out the Utopia backrest. It folds down, moves up/down/forward/back and costs $199. I had one on my Nomad 1600, loved it.

http://www.utpr.com/nomad1600.html

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #17

Problem with Utopia I see is you have to cut your passenger seat to install it and losing passenger room. Not a problem if all you do is ride solo.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Problem with Utopia I see is you have to cut your passenger seat to install it and losing passenger room. Not a problem if all you do is ride solo.
Anything else i should know about before i kick off !

http://madvilletimes.com/wp-content/...berjackold.jpg

Old 09-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Anything else i should know about before i kick off !

http://madvilletimes.com/wp-content/...berjackold.jpg
If I think of any thing I will let you know

Oh, your saw needs cleaning
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
If I think of any thing I will let you know

Oh, your saw needs cleaning
Meanwhile,here's a word from our sponser !

I skipped all that and went to this.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #21

I'm glad those days are behind me
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #22

mustang

As you stated, this is totally subjective. I am 5'-10" with average length legs and I sometimes wish I could skootch back a little bit. The Mustang seat is awesome, like sitting in a saddle, but no room for movement. I have a ruptured lower vertebrae and it never hurts with this seat. I do not use the backrest.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to MJ07Nomad
Thanks to everyone for posting. Here is what I got so far:
Mustang, 16" wide with drivers Backrest and pass pad, $723. Most all of you say it sits you higher and a little closer to bars/tank. All like it better then stock, some love it and some say its OK.
Russel Day Long, they told me to get the front seat done, backrest and they recover the back seat. w/shipping $900. They can not tell me how wide the seat will be, or if it will make me sit higher or closer to bars. People here stay yes it sits you higher but not closer to bars. No one said how wide the drivers sit is but it looks wide. So can someone take a ruler to the seat and let me know how wide it is? Everyone loves this seat.
I saw somewhere a seat made by Ultimate Seats, they (from their website) said it is 17 1/2" wide with drivers backrest and pass pad, $750. Sits you in the seat and same height and distance from bars. Sounds like this maybe my best bet? Anyone have one? your thoughts?

Old 10-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #24

To me its a matter of semantics. I would buy or not buy based on the amount of actual riding I was planning on doing. On average I ride an average of 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year. IMO this does not warrant a custom seat for myself. I think the stock seat with maybe a grasshopper backrest does just fine. If I were to increase my riding adding more long distance miles I would then consider another seat. One that everyone here didn't mention which would probably be the first seat I would look at would be the Corbin seat.

http://corbin.com/

Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
To me its a matter of semantics. I would buy or not buy based on the amount of actual riding I was planning on doing. On average I ride an average of 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year. IMO this does not warrant a custom seat for myself. I think the stock seat with maybe a grasshopper backrest does just fine. If I were to increase my riding adding more long distance miles I would then consider another seat. One that everyone here didn't mention which would probably be the first seat I would look at would be the Corbin seat.

http://corbin.com/
Thanks for your post. I had a Corbin seat on my bike, with a drivers backrest, I loved it and rode 88K in 4 years, before getting hurt, after it was too hard on my back and leg. I think it was getting hurt plus my weight. So after talking with my doctor, I sent it out and they removed the wedge in the back of the seat and added a soft top to it. Worked OK but moved me back too far and sat me too high. I talked to my doctor again and he said I should have a wider seat with a backrest, this way my weight would be off my tail bone and out to the sides more, the backrest would help too. My doctor is a motorcycle rider and understands what I need for my back/leg. My bike now has the stock seat plus I added a drivers backrest and it is better then the Corbin for me. I ride or should stay did, 200 mile trips to nowhere, in a day. After getting hurt the only thing that helped with the pain (besides pain killers) was seating on the bike and riding maybe 20 mins without stopping (hurt when I had to hold up the bike), I would get off and have little to no pain. After a few weeks that no longer helped, I stopped riding and got the seat re-done, did maybe 10 min ride and it was OK but my shoulder started hurting from being to high up on the seat and I wanted to ride longer. I installed the stock seat with backrest and I can do 15 maybe 20 mins before my back starts, 30 mins and my leg starts, no shoulder pain at all. So the height is good, just need to fix the rest....This is why I asked for people who have bad backs and are on the more to love size to tell me what they have and how it is working out for them. I can not give up riding if I can find a seat that will help I got to try it. I just do not have the funds to start buying seats just to try them all.....just getting one new seat is going to take me all winter (hopefully) to buy. I just need a place to start. thanks to everyone for your in-put.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #26

That would definitely make a difference. Well one nice thing about the Russell Day Long seat is they are hand made. I imagine you should be able to call them and discuss exactly what you just stated in your last thread. If any one can custom build to your exact needs I would have to believe it would be them.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #27

I called Russel Day Long seat and they said has far has height, how do I or them got the height, sitting on the bike a riders weight will push down the seat into the pan, plus the bike itself (springs/shocks) would make it sit lower. I did not understand why they could not give me a answer. A sample yes to their seat is thicker from pan to cover was what I got, no answer if my reach to the bars would change, would have been nice to know. They did say that they can fix my back/leg concerns, and move me back or forward which ever I wanted. In the end they said they could make the seat, I could try it for 500 miles, send it back for a fix if it did not work for me and they would try again but if it was too high and they lowered it (removed the padding) then they can not say for sure that my back/leg would be OK, did say I may lose out in that regard. If I did all that them the price would be $1100 with all the shipping and it still may not work for me.....Now I am thinking if I try DLS I would have to get it the best for my back/leg and maybe replace the handlebars, cables etc to fit the seat and me. I do not know what to do.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #28

MJ107, Here's a thought. You like your stock height, but apparently the stock seat cushion is too hard. Go here and checkout his guy: www.greatdaytoride.com. This guy (Spencer) redone my seat and it really made a difference and was an inexpensive alternate to the more expensive seats. I'm happy with my setup. BTW, I experience lower back pain and upper neck pain, due to an injury in the 90's.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
MJ107, Here's a thought. You like your stock height, but apparently the stock seat cushion is too hard. Go here and checkout his guy: www.greatdaytoride.com. This guy (Spencer) redone my seat and it really made a difference and was an inexpensive alternate to the more expensive seats. I'm happy with my setup. BTW, I experience lower back pain and upper neck pain, due to an injury in the 90's.
Thank you, I checked out his website and sent him a email!

Old 10-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #30
Advanced Member

I also had my seat done by Spencer. Definitely made a difference from stock and the price was very reasonable. Does take a bit of seat time to break in but Spencer told me that from the start. I still use my air cushion for rides over 3 hrs. But for one tenth the cost of a day long I'm very happy.
VBA #02482

VROC # 36172