Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-20-2023, 03:33 PM   #1

Nomad Not Charging

Hello everyone, I'm at my wits ends on this and I hope I can get some direction on what next.
2006 Nomad 1600 FI with 56,000 miles.
Bike is not charging. The Stators are good and provide plenty of juice. Both Voltage Regulators have been replaced still no charge to the system.
Bike has not run since June of last year.

Here some additional information and background.
Orignal problem, in June of last year I started the bike put the kick stand up put it in gear and it died.
Took it to the shop and after a few weeks they replaced the Kick Stand Safety switch.
When I got to the shop the bike started but the headlight would not come on then when I put it in gear it died at the shop.
They kept the bike for a few more weeks, called me back and said it was fixed all they did was clean and re connect all the connectors.
The bike did run and I got it home, ran inside to get some gear and same thing, bike would start but as soon as you put it in gear it died.
Well at that point I put it up as my job had me traveling all over the country.
Forward to this year. I noticed that the clutch felt real soft like non existent. Also while replacing the battery I pulled the wires out of the Molex Connector for the Fuel Pump so now it doesn't start.
Anyway I had it taken to another shop, they flushed the clutch line, replaced the connector and it starts just fine but as you can guess same problem. The Side Stand Safety witch is open.
They also noticed that the headlight would not come on after starting.
They replaced the safety switch with a known working safety switch and same thing.
They fond both voltage regulators are bad, and the Stator is good putting out plenty of power.
The theory is that because there is no voltage being put back into the system that this trips the safety switch.
After replacing both voltage regulators its still not Charging.
Anyone have any ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2023, 02:23 PM   #2

Clean and tighten all grounds after making sure the terminals are on the wire ends well.

Vernon

Old 08-01-2023, 07:13 PM   #3

Well, read the 'other' procedure that we went thru on the non charging for ringadings nomad....same procedure....
These bikes have 2 alternators or stators, along with 2 regulators. Usually under your left hand side cover, if theres the usual suspect, you'll find some melted plugs under that cover.
Start by charging your battery, then start your bike. Get your multi-tester, if your bike is not charging, you'll be at 12.0 to 12.5 volts range. If your charging system is fine, you should be at about 13.5, rev it alittle, should get up to about 14.0 to 14.5 volts....
I'd say from what you've said, either you have a problem with your reg's or the stators or both.

Because your bike operates at between 65 to 75 volts ac, hard wire your plugs where the regulators connect to the stators or alternators....if you encounter alot of water on a cross country trip, or corrosion/oil on your plugs, they're gonna melt....remember, resistance at those plugs=heat....and alot of it!
Hope this helps....sorry i've been away, doing alot of riding, and building a V8 trike....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI