Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #1

Fuel Injection issue

After a long day of riding across Idaho, I stopped for fuel and when I turned on the ignition, the fuel injection system did not pressurize. Turned key off and then back on and got the familiar 'whirring' sound of the fuel pump. Called Carl's Kawa in Boise and they called the factory technician who couldn't explain the problem. Possibly a short or poor ground connection. (I had radiator and regulators replaced earlier in my trip due to metal debris, so electrical system was worked on, but no problems for days after). Kawa suggested it may have to fail completely to diagnose which is not acceptable. Spent several hours talking with dealers along my trip and no one had an explanation. So, if I turn ignition on/off/on it pressurizes and will start and runs normally without any issues. Will pull fuel tank and check all connections. Any thoughts? Buck

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #2

Fuel Injection issue

This happened to me one time when my bike was almost new. I turned the key on and the fuel pump didn't operate. The FI light came on, the bike cranked but did not start.

I turned the key off then back on, pump ran, and the bike started right up. It happened when the bike was dead cold, so I figured the computer was cold & just didn't boot up correctly (It happens with PC's some times.) It has never happened again in 32,000+ miles now. Has this happened repeatedly? And when the bike is warm? My theory about the "cold computer" might be bunkum.

If the dealer pulled the tank when they changed the radiator (You don't actually have to, but the factory manual definately says to do it.) then the wire to the fuel pump very well might be loose. That it seems woud prove an irregular problem though. Not consistant.

This would be a total coincidence, but: There is a pin on one of the ECU plugs, that if it corrodes the fuel pump won't operate. I can't recall which one, but it can't hurt to pull those plugs and check for corrosion.

If all this fails to find the problem, the ECU may be bad or may have suffered some damage. For instance, disconnecting the power to the ECU without turning the key off first may damage the computer. For instance if you disconnect the battery without turning the key off first. At least it says so in the manual. I've never proved it, and I certainly don't want to!

But if your regulators were damaged electrically, it could have had that same effect, and a new ECU might be the only solution.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Fuel Injection issue

Good to hear from you Buck. Hope your trip is going well...when you getting back to the Tarheel State??

I also have had this happen 1 time in 13k miles..was right after a good wash. dunno, never happened again so I didn't have the need to chase it down. Does yours do it every time??

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC