Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

More weight doens't make longer stopping

This is a continuation of a conversation with Blown Dodge about weight and stopping distances that we're spinning off of the car tire thread.

BD,

Here are portions of a topic from another site, I'll post a link at the end.

There seems to be a continuing belief amongst many of us that stopping distance increases as a direct function of increased vehicle weight. I would like to try again to put this issue to rest.

While it is true that a heavier vehicle requires more energy to brake to a stop than does a lighter vehicle, (there is, after all, more mass involved), that does NOT mean the heavier vehicle takes more time or more distance to stop....
Since you know that you can lock a wheel while the bike is still moving, you know that the braking energy you apply to your brakes is NOT WHAT LIMITS HOW FAST YOU CAN STOP! That limit is determined by the amount of traction your tires have.

Further, since it takes more braking energy to stop (lock) a spinning wheel than to merely slow it down, and because a sliding tire (the result of locking your brake) has less traction than one that is not sliding, your normally functioning brakes are NOT WHAT LIMITS YOUR STOPPING DISTANCE! That limit is also determined by the traction of your tires.

Traction, as we have discussed before, increases with weight. Thus, adding weight decreases your ability to slide the tire and, as a result, gives you the ability to stop more quickly while at the same time increasing the energy that must be converted to heat by your brakes in order to slow down. In effect, adding weight makes it harder to slow at the same time it makes it more possible to do so.

If you so severely overload your bike that the brakes are no longer powerful enough to cause a skid, then you know that the increase in traction gained by that added weight has finally overwhelmed the ability of your brakes and, thus, your brakes then become what limits your stopping ability (time and distance.)

Weight affects your ability to stop in TWO ways:

* It takes more energy (braking) to slow a heavier weight

* Traction INCREASES as a result of added weight such that more braking can be used without starting a skid.

Thus, adding weight essentially CANCELS itself out as an impact on stopping distance. All that you need to do is apply your brakes harder in order to TOTALLY compensate for added weight....

You know this already, of course. Else, for example, how could a car EVER stop as quickly as a motorcycle? Or, how could a heavy Valkyrie or an Ultra Classic Tour Glide EVER stop as quickly as a little 250 cc street bike?...

But, generally speaking, weight makes no difference in stopping distance because the brakes are more than adequate to handle any normal range of weight for that bike....

Taken from http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=125&Set=

---------------------------------------------------------------------
A bike moving, say, 50 mph has four times as much kinetic energy as that same bike moving at 25 mph. In either case in order to skid your tire you need to achieve, say, 1.0 g's of deceleration. You maintain that the bike's brakes cannot do that at 50 mph because of the total amount of kinetic energy involved?

My experience is that unless you are moving at a speed that is beyond the capabilities of your brakes to handle in terms of dissipation of heat your brakes are more than adequate to LOCK your wheel which requires more braking energy than slowing down the speed of rotation.

Indeed, your brakes are more than adequate, assuming the coefficient of friction between your tires and the roadway is adequate, to scrub 20 mph of speed every second you use them. That is pretty close to 1.0 g's and to do so without burning up in the process.

Of course they get hotter when doing so at 50 mph than at 25 mph as they convert that amount of kinetic energy to heat in less time.

You could put the brakes from a Mack truck on a motorcycle and still only have deceleration rates of up to about 1.0 g's of deceleration capability as that is limited not by the brakes, but by the coefficient of friction available. Put the tiny squeeze brakes from a bicycle on a motorcycle and try that and they would fail - they are not adequate to the task. But *your* motorcycle brakes are.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...TOPIC_ID=10818

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a brief post he states,
The size of your contact patch does NOT determine traction. It is how much weight is being carried by each square inch of that contact patch that does that. A bigger contact patch merely means less weight per square inch as the weight of the bike does not change.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...62&whichpage=2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't read through this one today, but I think it's the one where he got the MSF to change their position.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=918

I don't like giving the guy props here, because he's and ass. But he seems to know physics.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Advanced Member

I'd like to see him prove it in the real world
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 05-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #3

Dan in looking at the photos in the other thread I think the difference was obvious. It was the rubber compound that caused them to stop in an equal distance. We all know that MC tires are almost always of a softer compound which would naturally get heated more quickly and soften to increase traction which aided in the stopping distance. I would imagine that while the CT was a firmer compound and did not react with the same heat and sticky properties it did have more of a contact patch which probably evened out the tape measure test. I believe had the contact patch been equal the MC tire would most likely outperform the CT.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Dan in looking at the photos in the other thread I think the difference was obvious. It was the rubber compound that caused them to stop in an equal distance. We all know that MC tires are almost always of a softer compound which would naturally get heated more quickly and soften to increase traction which aided in the stopping distance. I would imagine that while the CT was a firmer compound and did not react with the same heat and sticky properties it did have more of a contact patch which probably evened out the tape measure test. I believe had the contact patch been equal the MC tire would most likely outperform the CT.
OP, the bike tire did outperform the car tire. The contact patch on the bike tire picture was much more pronounced than on the car tire. The one on the car tire was pretty faint by comparison.

For this thread, I think the best way to think of it is if the brakes are able to dissipate the heat adequately, and the tire gets maximum braking without losing traction, adding weight does not cause the bike to take longer to stop.

We can prove it by one of you guys hoping on the back of my bike for some brake testing :)

Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #5

If weight is the pivotal variable I nominate Todd. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #6

Here's something interesting. From what I have read, a MC tire is NOT softer than a CT.

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/gener....ig ht=durometer
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

But todd is still overweight!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
If weight is the pivotal variable I nominate Todd. :)

I feel so.....so.....so honored

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
But todd is still overweight!
DUFFUS !!! ;) :) ;) :)

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Is this thread 'continuation' a real new thread and the other semi dead now?
It was getting long. I just read it and found it interesting. I enjoy the debate too.

I think Pablo has run a Ct the longest here, I think I am next and BD is next after me. We all ran something different.

More or less we all found out these same things and with the tire new and un-broken had odds and ends of problems. Somewhere after 200 to 500 miles most of the typical problems dissolved, and any new mc tire tore has it's problems too.

One reason for me to post is I read Dan had his new Ct step out braking. i don't test like that but i did locl or semi lock I hjope both brakes in order to sane my hide and my wifes hide.

Dressed in riding gear we may weight just barely over 300 pound combined. The night of the incident I was dressed light, just boots, socks, jeans and a tank top, with gloves. My wife was in hiking boots, jeans, a top of some sort, bra, panties, light leather coat and a full face lid. My jacket was in the saddle bags and I can't recall what else was..

The details above are for weights.

In any case the speed was about 45 in a 50 mph zone, and a jeep hit a moose, and i was aware that it would a milisencond before it did. I hit both brakes at the same time and instant before the jeep hit the moose. I could just tell something wasn't right about the jeeps lights ahead of it, and in moose country that means it's a moose.

The pic shows one patch of rubber to the right of mine, and mine appear broken, because i let up a bit, but the whole time I could hear rubber screeching at the same level. I let up because i thought maybe the wheels were not turning at all. Then I added more pressure again.

The rubber is a measured 81.5 feet, which wasn't quite enough to save my ft fender. But i was able to borrow a carpenter hammer and pry the fender off the tire, and rode till two weeks ago with that damaged ft fender.

I think I needed 3 to 12 more feet distance. I feel that the ct saved my life since hitting a jeep cherrokee with my noggin wouldn't have as good an ending. it was 98 degrees at 9pm that night and dark.
No stepping out at all as you can see, and my riding skills are much less than Dan's.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #11

Mac, this thread is just to spin off the braking and contact patch part of the discussion.

It was the motorcycle tire that was stepping out at 25-30mph. So I dropped down to 15mph to get a good straight one.

The Car tire was also straight at 15mph, and I didn't try it any faster.

Too bad you didn't have another couple of feet of stop in you.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #12

All this talk about coefficient of friction and other numbers reminds me of the following:

Old 05-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #13

I really need one of those cryptonaptic bowling shims.

Thanks Dave! Lots of info.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #14

I keep hearing everyone say that the CT has to be "worn-in" before it works as good as one would expect.

What has to be "worn-in" on it? Is it the sidewalls that have to "relax" or is it something else?

Just wondered...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Here's my take on the subject maybe in fact you could stopped just as fast fully loaded and you could with just a rider on the bike but how many of us in the real world want to grab the binders that hard on a weekend cruise with the wife on back and some luggage so for practical everyday real world riding you need more room to stop unless you just love braking so hard that the bike feels like it's diving in to turn 2 at Bristol motor speedway every time you stop. Bottom line leave extra space and live to ride another day
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now