Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

Gas tank removal

I have a 2007-1600 nomad and i am planing on removing the gas tank in a few weeks i searched the forum and found a lot of past info on the job so tell me if I'm forgetting something.
1. unclip 2 electrical connections on top of battery.
2. remove chrome cover on speedo and unclip 2 more electrical connections. I believe their is no need to remove the actual speedo just unclip the connections.
3. remove 3 tank bolts, 1 front 2 rear.
4. unclip the main fuel connection the one that you have to squeeze both sides, swear at it a little and wiggle it off.
5. Now this I'm not sure---remove the vent line, i see one at the back of the tank but I'm reading in past posts that their are 2, i only see one at the moment. Is their another on the 1600?
With all vent lines and the main fuel line removed it should lift straight up--correct?
Also most posts say that if fuel is still in the tank it will not empty on my bike but maybe just a few drops. Even though i read it a bunch of times i still have to ask that's an important one.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

Take off chrome dash cover, remove seat, remove front and rear tank mounting bolts. Elevate tank, unplug the elect. lines, take the fuel send and fuel return lines loose, also the overflow line, lift gas tank off... .
I use 1"x2"x3" carpet covered block in the rear, and a piece of carpet covered 1"x1" with 10" of swingset chain as my 3rd hands holding the tank up while I take shit loose. The 1x1 lays across/between the Master Cylinders on the handlebars and the mirrors....
Need to elevate it a little more, I just turn the 1x1 1 flat....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 07-09-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #3

On my 08, there was the main fuel line on the left side above the intake. Just like you say, pinch, wiggle, and it should come off. There are 2 other rubber lines. One on the rear, right side (vent). The other one is towards the front of the tank, underneath, on the right side.

For me, when I had the tank off, I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the instrument cluster from the wires, and found it easier to just remove the bolts, pull the cluster off, and let it hang off on the right side by the crash bars. You could probably use some wire from the handle bar and tie it up as well. The wiring harness seemed strong enough to let it gently hang.

Everything else seemed correct in my memory on removal.

I'm not sure what DragonLady means by fuel send and fuel return lines. I'm thinking the overflow line is the line on the back right (actually I know for sure from filling my tank too full), fuel send line must be on the middle of the tank on the left side (above the intake), and the fuel return line must be the front right underside.
Rest is stock (Currently)

Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
Advanced Member

The "two lines" at the rear are on Californicate models.

The only thing you got wrong was the pinch, twist and curse a little. It's curse a whole bunch on my bike.

I have a question which might be of interest to you: if I flip the tank upside down with fuel in it, will it leak out the gas cap or does it seal tight? I assume I'd have to plug the drain.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #5

I suggest you download a free copy of the service manual.

You should check a few steps. tried to attach pages from the manual, will try again.
1. A friend had the fuel tank replaced at a dealer. the original rubber dampers had to be replaced but they were not aware of that. when taken back to the shop, a further delay as they were back ordered.

2. empty the gas tank, siphon, i used a syringe with a fuel line attached to remove a bit more. might be excessive to use the syringe. a full tank is heavy.

3. the blocking hoses, I used a 1/4 inch fuel line. 5mm really not available in north america. 3/16 i found impossible to slip on even with silicon lub. 1/4 inch seemed to work fine and much easier to slip on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by EdmontonNomad; 07-10-2017 at 12:08 AM. Reason: pages not added

Old 07-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #6

I forgot, after you remove your dash/speedo cover, unplug your gauge unit, remove it and put it on your work bench.
----I'm not sure what DragonLady means by fuel send and fuel return lines----
The send line comes from the fuel pump, the one that has the 2 tabs you must press....
The other on is a fuel return line....they are both toward the center of the tank when you elevate it.
Overflow is toward the rear of the tank....

The rubber tank bumpers or isolators, I've never met a dealer mechanic that got them on right. I silicone them to the ears on the frame....you'll never loose them again....

Tortuga, if you turn your tank over, if your seal in the cap is tight, it won't leak fuel....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 07-10-2017 at 02:29 AM.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

You also have a spring loaded vent in to cap, too. Its suppossed to let pressure out while keeping liquids in (fuel).
I normally sit my tank upright on some carpet covered 2x4's, (with the fuel line blocked off)....they come in handy on bike repairs....when you don't wanna scratch the paint....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for the help I'll be doing this maybe next week when i get it back from the shop. In the past i got to the point were i removed the tank bolts and just blocked it up a little with some wood blocks so i could run some lines under the tank. That was a pain so i figure i should learn how to remove the tank. I do have the free downloaded manual but not for exactly my year i haven't found one for a 2007. The 2x4 blocks to rest the tank on is something i didn't think about, i could just see myself in the garage holding the tank calling for the wife to get me something to rest the tank on so i don't rest it on the fuel ports. Drangonlady, you said to remove the gauges after disconnecting the electrical, is that necessary and why? It seams like it will just stay with the tank. Thanks

Old 07-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
You also have a spring loaded vent in to cap, too. Its suppossed to let pressure out while keeping liquids in (fuel).
I normally sit my tank upright on some carpet covered 2x4's, (with the fuel line blocked off)....they come in handy on bike repairs....when you don't wanna scratch the paint....
I'm looking to change fuel filter and replace gas gauge sender so I at least have to set it on it's side or flip it all the way over. It will be on two old pillows if I flip it, which would probably be safest, rather than trying to stand it up on it's side.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
I'm looking to change fuel filter and replace gas gauge sender so I at least have to set it on it's side or flip it all the way over. It will be on two old pillows if I flip it, which would probably be safest, rather than trying to stand it up on it's side.
The fuel filter on your 06 Nomad is not replaceable. It is an integral part of the fuel pump. It can be cleaned while you have the pump out of the tank.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
The fuel filter on your 06 Nomad is not replaceable. It is an integral part of the fuel pump. It can be cleaned while you have the pump out of the tank.
Yes, it is. I pried off the original filter and replaced it with an after market one. Later I put in an aftermarket pump when mine went south and it has the replaceable filters I had put on the original. Kawasaki would love to sell you a new pump for a criminal price but you CAN change the filter on the OEm.

Last edited by Tortuga; 07-10-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Top Contributor

So you fitted an aftermarket fuel filter to the OEM pump ?

What is the part number and make of the aftermarket fuel filter you fitted to the original pump ?

I am sure others would like to know that information.

Last edited by redjay; 07-10-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Go to Quantum Fuel Systems and you'll see their offerings of pumps and filters by year, make, model and you can get the part numbers. As I recall, I believe it was on this site that I learned of the possible filter change and their pumps.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #14
Top Contributor

I cant find anything for a 2006 Nomad, sorry.

http://www.quantumfuelsystems.com/amfinder/

Old 07-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Google Quantum Fuel Systems. I have no trouble finding the Nomad.