Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
Advanced Member

So what is the verdict here? Progressive or not? I've got Progressive fork springs coming in the mail. With 42600 miles on an '03, I would think they've got to do something for it. Going with 15w DelRay fluid. By seeing the fluid in the rear shocks, I'd bet the forks have got the original fluid in them.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #17
Advanced Member

No one has asked (or stated) what PSI you are using in the tires...

Old 10-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
So what is the verdict here? Progressive or not? I've got Progressive fork springs coming in the mail. With 42600 miles on an '03, I would think they've got to do something for it. Going with 15w DelRay fluid. By seeing the fluid in the rear shocks, I'd bet the forks have got the original fluid in them.
From other threads I read most like toe Progressive springs! I see you have a 03 Nomad so I believe it has regular springs' and the changer over is easier then the 04 that has Cartridge Springs set up! The fork oil change over has also been a + for most riders! Please post your results !

Old 10-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
Hmm, so even with progressive springs AND heavier oil you're still not getting the ideal result. Could the 20wt possibly be hindering the new springs' ability to absorb? Wouldn't you know 20 weight is what I bought to switch to when I got the time, wasn't planning on doing the springs yet though...Getting complicated.
If I remember right the 04 has a Cartridge type fork spring and Progressive does not list a kit for the 04! But I believe on Gadgets page it show how to remove the cartridge and install the spring kit!
FYI Your mileage may vary

Old 10-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #20
Advanced Member

1500 L series have cartridge forks 1500 G series do not. Look at your bikes vin tag it somewhere I read it should be 7th digit of the vin number.

I was wondering if anybody that has changed to progressive springs has measured the sag I was wondering how close to 2 inches it was.

To do it measure the fork fully extended wheel off the ground. Then measure with the rider on the bike pull up on the bars and gently let it settle back down and measure then push the bars down and gently release and measure these two measurement should be pretty close like no more then 15mm difference if it's way off the forks are binding somewhere. Now subtract the average of the last two measurements from the first if it's not around 1 3/4 to 2 inches the preload is not right and the spacer needs to be adjusted.
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by skiman; 10-19-2015 at 03:43 AM.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
Lets face it, the rear shocks are getting old, my '05 I've had for nearly 10 1/2 years, and if fresh oil makes a lot of difference in the forks, it could probably make that much of a difference in the rear shocks. There is a write up on here about how to change the oil in the rear shocks, but it is a little on the dangerous side.
I put 412 progressive rears on mine. I didn't know how bad my shock were till I changed them.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 10-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Today I put a 1 inch spacer in the forks of my 2002 Nomad wow what a big difference in ride quality, brake dive and the bike handled better too. Best of all it was nearly free.
Avon Venom tires
TFI fuel control
Kuryakyn grips

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 10-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #23

Skiman, Are you running the stock springs and added a 1" spacer or did you use Progressive springs? I have a 2001 model and I'm fixing to change out the fork oil.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 10-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #24

Hell, I'm subscribing to this thread, as I also hate the fork action on my '04 Nomad 1500. I'm just a 157-lb. weakling, but the nose dive and bottoming out drives me up the wall. I have sent 2 e-mails to Progressive to find what they have for a remedy, but they have ignored me both times. I KNOW somebody on this forum has the answer . . .

Old 10-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
Skiman, Are you running the stock springs and added a 1" spacer or did you use Progressive springs? I have a 2001 model and I'm fixing to change out the fork oil.
Stock Springs they are duel rate like the one from progressive but I can't find any info on the stock spring rates. The spacer take up the soft side of the spring I was going to go with a bigger spacer but turns out 1 inch put my sag with me on the bike right at 2 inches so it a perfect 1/3 of the total travel.

I was thinking I bought the bike used so I think the springs are stock I'd hate to think anyone paid for such a crummy spring setup. If someone has a picture of stock spring for a 2002 1500fi I would like to see it so I would know for sure.
Avon Venom tires
TFI fuel control
Kuryakyn grips

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Last edited by skiman; 10-22-2015 at 02:53 AM.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleysaki View Post
Hell, I'm subscribing to this thread, as I also hate the fork action on my '04 Nomad 1500. I'm just a 157-lb. weakling, but the nose dive and bottoming out drives me up the wall. I have sent 2 e-mails to Progressive to find what they have for a remedy, but they have ignored me both times. I KNOW somebody on this forum has the answer . . .
A one inch spacer should help a lot I'm 225 without gear and it really worked well for me I was going to order race tech springs and use a longer spacer I still may but for now I'm going to run this set up a while and see how it does so far it is night and day better.
Avon Venom tires
TFI fuel control
Kuryakyn grips

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Last edited by skiman; 10-22-2015 at 02:54 AM.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #27

I had the fork oil changed in my 99 this spring to 20wt. It made quite a bit of difference but may add a spacer from what I am seeing here. These machines need a better front fork spring for sure.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #28
Advanced Member

"03 Nomad. I just finished the change to Progressive springs and 15w oil. Changed the oil to 15w in the rear shocks last week. Man Please!! What a MAJOR difference on the rough curvy backroads. The changes just soaked up the roughness like it was a whole different bike. Handled so much better hauling it around the curves and hitting the same bumps that use the bottom out the bike and jam my back. When on the side stand the forks are extended right at 1 3/4 inches more than before. Yes, '03 is the cartridge forks. Well worth the time.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 10-22-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Old 04-22-2023, 11:01 AM   #29

Fork springs Vn1500g 19998-99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
"03 Nomad. I just finished the change to Progressive springs and 15w oil. Changed the oil to 15w in the rear shocks last week. Man Please!! What a MAJOR difference on the rough curvy backroads. The changes just soaked up the roughness like it was a whole different bike. Handled so much better hauling it around the curves and hitting the same bumps that use the bottom out the bike and jam my back. When on the side stand the forks are extended right at 1 3/4 inches more than before. Yes, '03 is the cartridge forks. Well worth the time.
Hellooo, old thread 🧵 I know, but if anyone reacts would be of great fun 🤩. I am in the rebuilding state since four years, and some conversions as well as cleaning up the original parts. Was going to order progr.springs because I was happy with an earlier bike after replacing orig.
A little bit surprised when opened up my vn1500g fork to find these progressive look alike. The fork oil? 😱, murky and black water!
Obviously need to check the rear- thx.
Regards// Peter

Last edited by VNGreenKnight; 04-22-2023 at 11:06 AM.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:19 AM   #30
Advanced Member

Back in the late 70s and 80s, the motorcycle magazines did great articles on modifying the damper style and cartridge style forks, which are still very common to the Vulcans. Basically the mods are greater volume of lighter oil, progressive wound springs, preload spacer to reduce static sag, and in some cases adding air valves to adjust for chainging loads (like a fairing, carrying a passenger, etc). The mods details are:
1. Progressive wound springs, which start with softer rate on the bottom and get more stiff as the forks are compressed further.
2. Preload spacers, adding spacers reduce the amount of sag when you sit on the bike. Proper preload should be less than one inch. Look up "satic sag fork preload".
3. Oil volume, the factory stock volume is the LEAST amount of oil put in for the least cost to provide lube and damping control. Best practice is to remove the fork springs, fully compress the forks, oil fill the forks to within 3" from the top. Then reinstall the fork springs after the fork is extended.
4. Oil weight, go to 10wt or 15wt oil, instead of heavier oil. The bigger gain in ride quality is not heavier oil, but MORE oil. Lighter oil lets the forks react better to small bumps. More oil in the fork legs aids the forks to handle bigger bump by reducing the air volume above the oil. The reduced air volume above the oil acts like a secondary progressive spring, greatly reducing fork bottoming and dive upon braking. And adding oil volume (up to the 3" from the top of the compressed legs) will NOT blow out the fok seals.

Back in the late 70s it was also common to enlarge the holes in the damper tubes to help the oil flow better handling bumps. Since then many manufacturers applied those mods to the stock forks. So it may be less likely to need to modify the damper rod ports. The biggest impact is ithe progressvie wound springs, and greater volume of lighter oil. Back in the 70s some riders would drill/tap the fork leg caps to add Shrader air valves, and then the air pressure can be adjusted in the fork legs like is done on the air assisted stock rear shocks. Adding air at 10 to 20psi helps the forks handle the load for added accessories (like a fariing).

Last edited by andyvh1959; 04-24-2023 at 10:32 AM.