Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

Currently installing Chuckster's Dual-Plate Intake...

So, I'm in the middle of installing Chuckster's Dual-Plate Intake, and I have a couple of questions. I'm following the instructions included, as well as following along with the pictures posted here:

http://s300.beta.photobucket.com/use...20Installation

My first question is about something in Chuckster's instructions, specifically this paragraph:

"Remove the bracket that is right below the IACS tubes. Once removed, unhook the IACS tubes from the rear rubber grommet and re-install the front bracket. This will allow the IACS tubes to push back farther now."

I've got the bracket removed, but what rear grommet is he referring to? I didn't see this illustrated in the pictures at the above URL. Also, what does this do in particular, and why do I want to do that?

My second question can be found in the above pictures, particularly image # 13 with the caption "Gene removing the left side." What needs to be done to the left side? I didn't see anything about that in Chuckster's instructions.

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Burkazoid

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #2

Good morning,
Sorry I didn't see your post till now.
Ok the piece in reference is the metal bracket just under the tubes. It has three bolts in it as the attached pics show, and you only need to remove the two left bolts and loosen the right one and it will swing down to the right. Once you do that you can pull on the tubes towards you and you will beable to unhook them from the grommet back under the throttle body.

For the left side removal, you can remove the outer cover / filter, and back plastic plate. If you want to take the cross over tube out, you will have to cut it into many pieces to get it out. This can be done with some tin snip shears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (89.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (55.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (34.2 KB, 89 views)
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #3

Chuckster,

Awesome, thank you. Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner. I leave work each afternoon thinking to complete the install, and then I get home and half fall asleep. I did complete the install earlier today, though. As I've commented on this forum in the past, I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, but I can follow instructions pretty well (as long as they're explicit). You're willingness to explain in additional detail was a big help.

At this point I do have a few questions.

Question #1: is it necessary to do anything to the left side of the bike? For example, can I just simply remove the filter and leave everything as-is, or will I still need to maintain a filter on the left side. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume removing the left side (including the crossover tube) is now possible because we've basically terminated the relationship between the left and the right sides? In other words, the bike is no longer sucking air in from the left side, through the crossover tube, to the right side, correct?

Question #2: How long until the gasket maker dries completely and I can crank the bike up? If I sealed the right side incompletely, is there any particular behavior of the bike that will tell me so?

Question #3: Following up on part of question #1, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but this entire installation process was to simply of move the intake of air to the right side of the bike in order to...what? Shorten the path the air has to take? And, removing the stock back plate allows additional air into the intake, correct?

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm currently perusing your site to see if there is anything else I want (for X-mas, possibly).

Best,
B.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #4

The left side can all stay intact or be totally removed.

The silicon should set for atleast 12hrs in my opinion and the only thing that would act up is if one of the caps came off the IACS tubes inside. Creates a High idle

Yes with the kit you gain a straighter, and cooler air flow creating more HP

Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
does one need to add a fuel processor when doing this mod?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
does one need to add a fuel processor when doing this mod?
Yes
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

This is 1/3 of the ultimate solution. IMHO here are the 3 steps to reinventing your ride.
  1. Get a fuel processor to overcome the built in hyper lean condition I like the Dobeck TFI but anything is better than stock.
    • Start with manufacturers settings. You will see instant results. Its BFM.
    • Get a custom map or learn how to set the pots and then ride.
    • Twiddle until you like your performance.
    • Adjust idle and throttle advance as needed then leave it alone unless you change something.
    • Your right wrist is the next thing to tune. Give yourself time to adjust to what will feel like a new bike.
    • Your milage will probably be affected negatively, These arent scooters.
  2. Get an exhaust system which is less restricted.
    • You can punch out your stock exhaust baffles
    • or get an after market exhaust (I like the V&H Dual Baggers but pick what you like)
    • If you want more sound, remove wrapping from the after market or stock baffles.
    • or for V&H DBs remove the baffles and replace with Chucksters Ultimate Baffles. Replaces lost back pressure and enhances sound like amuscle car V8 motor. Gorgeous.
    • Do or Repeat step 1
  3. Get an unrestricted air intake. Lots of options but Chucksters is simple yet elegant and the best part is that it allows you to customize the look or make it look stock if desired/needed.
    • Congratulations, you've done this.
    • Do or Repeat step 1
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #8

Can't say it any better than that.

Thanks for the write up and plug for Chucksters Customs

Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

Cool. Many thanks again. The first time I cranked it up after the install it just plain acted like "nope, not starting" which was new behavior for it. I gave it a few seconds and it finally sprang to life, and I would swear it sounded like it was running a tad differently. Not worse or badly, just different. I'll be bringing it back to the office after lunch. First ride on it after the install. Been dying for this ride.

Best,
B.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

Ok, just brought it back from lunch. The bike seems to ride pretty well. Glad I did the switch. I'll see how it does on a longer ride tomorrow, or this weekend.

Best,
Steven

Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkazoid View Post
Cool. Many thanks again. The first time I cranked it up after the install it just plain acted like "nope, not starting" which was new behavior for it. I gave it a few seconds and it finally sprang to life, and I would swear it sounded like it was running a tad differently. Not worse or badly, just different. I'll be bringing it back to the office after lunch. First ride on it after the install. Been dying for this ride.

Best,
B.
I did same mod this summer, dual kit, very nice product from Chuckster. You may find that, with the stock plumbing/IACS gone, cold starting is more of an issue -- so I just pull out the "choke" valve on the left side of the engine for a short time. Not a true choke, just increases the rpms at idle and allows the bike to warm up. Also, I did find that mpg decreased, but worth it IMO.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Top Contributor

I no longer own a Nomad so none of Joes (Chucksters) products would do me any good but if he made something for the Vision (and I almost wish he would), I'd buy from him. Great guy, great prices, great shipping.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 12-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

So Monkeyman, when did you get rid of the Vulcan? So Now your tooling around on a "George Jetson" Victory ? Say Hi to Astro for me.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlreeves View Post
This is 1/3 of the ultimate solution. IMHO here are the 3 steps to reinventing your ride.
  1. Get a fuel processor to overcome the built in hyper lean condition I like the Dobeck TFI but anything is better than stock.
    • Start with manufacturers settings. You will see instant results. Its BFM.
    • Get a custom map or learn how to set the pots and then ride.
    • Twiddle until you like your performance.
    • Adjust idle and throttle advance as needed then leave it alone unless you change something.
    • Your right wrist is the next thing to tune. Give yourself time to adjust to what will feel like a new bike.
    • Your milage will probably be affected negatively, These arent scooters.
  2. Get an exhaust system which is less restricted.
    • You can punch out your stock exhaust baffles
    • or get an after market exhaust (I like the V&H Dual Baggers but pick what you like)
    • If you want more sound, remove wrapping from the after market or stock baffles.
    • or for V&H DBs remove the baffles and replace with Chucksters Ultimate Baffles. Replaces lost back pressure and enhances sound like amuscle car V8 motor. Gorgeous.
    • Do or Repeat step 1
  3. Get an unrestricted air intake. Lots of options but Chucksters is simple yet elegant and the best part is that it allows you to customize the look or make it look stock if desired/needed.
    • Congratulations, you've done this.
    • Do or Repeat step 1
I have two out of the three installed: the TFI and V&H Baggers. The third (Baron's BAK) is still in the box waiting to go on.

If I could do it over, I would have done all three immediately or left it stock until I had the time to do them all. The bike ran great stock; ran like crap with just the Baggers; runs better with the TFI and Baggers, but still not great. The BAK is going on in April. I'd do it now if I had heat in my garage...

IntheWind
'08 Nomad

Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheWind View Post
I have two out of the three installed: the TFI and V&H Baggers. The third (Baron's BAK) is still in the box waiting to go on.

If I could do it over, I would have done all three immediately or left it stock until I had the time to do them all. The bike ran great stock; ran like crap with just the Baggers; runs better with the TFI and Baggers, but still not great. The BAK is going on in April. I'd do it now if I had heat in my garage...

IntheWind
'08 Nomad
Thats how I did it also and the breather made all the difference. I never knew what I was missing until I did it. I staged things out over 3 seasons. I agree with doing it all at once but I just dont get that much bike allowance and for sure didnt want to take out a karma loan from my wife.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR