Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #1

Cam chain tensioner extenders

I have a 2001 VN1500 with 21,000 miles and I'm about to add extenders to my cam chain tensioners. Hopefully, this will take care of the noise I'm hearing. From the youtube videos on the subject, it looks like something I can handle. My question is, is this just a temporary fix, and will the chains continue to stretch anyway and need to be replaced? If so, does anyone know about how many more miles I can gain by adding the extenders before having to replace the cam chains? Also, does anyone who has done this extender job before have any tips or suggestions before I get started? Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-04-2022, 10:35 AM   #2
Top Contributor

The Vulcan engine is noisy by nature. You are at a fairly low mileage to be doing the extenders. The extenders help to take up the initial wear in the chain from new. Have you removed the extenders to see how far the mechanism is extended ? There is a pawl and ratchet that keeps the extender from retracting. How many teeth does the mechanism have left before the mechanism is fully extended ? Someone will hopefully be along to explain how to position the cylinders before removing the extenders for the inspection. If you decide to install the extenders a good vice is a must.

Old 05-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #3

I think you will be adding the extenders far too soon, I'd probably wait until at least 40,000 miles.
Im sure that the stock extender still has a few clicks of travel left to go.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-05-2022, 03:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
I think you will be adding the extenders far too soon, I'd probably wait until at least 40,000 miles.
Im sure that the stock extender still has a few clicks of travel left to go.
I agree. I fitted them at about 35,000m and think that was too soon. I think it made the chains stretch prematurely, and they were totally shagged by about 65,000m.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:00 AM   #5

Resurrecting this thread with a question.
I have 80,000kms (50,000 miles) on my ‘03 Nomad and have not done the extenders. I can’t hear anything from the engine that would make it appear to warrant the extenders. Am I playing with fire here or should I wait until I hear some form of different engine noise?

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #6

Just check how much run out you have left on tensioners.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #7

In my business quality of oil and maintenance directly relates to wear.

Old 11-02-2022, 04:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaniac View Post
In my business quality of oil and maintenance directly relates to wear.
I believe, how the bike is ridden,is also a factor. Constantly changing gear, and accelerating hard, on winding country lanes, will wear a cam chain much faster, than riding at a constant speed, on long straight roads.I have heard of people on here, with 200,00 miles on original chains. Mine were totally fucked at about 65,000.I :put extenders in at about 35,000 miles. cheers:

Last edited by mick56; 11-02-2022 at 08:35 AM.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:29 AM   #9

I agree mick. I don’t ride very hard and miles are mostly cruising the backroads.
Oil is changed end of every season (approx. 5000kms) with Rotella T6.
I will do a quick check per Idhthept suggestion but will most likely change next season.
Thanks for input.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 11-02-2022, 08:47 AM   #10

You probably wont hear any noise anyway,i never did. Just take the plug tubes out, and check for scoring marks, where the chain has hit them. No marks, no problem. If there are, fit the extenders.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #11

OK. I was out of travel on the rear jug and one click on the front. Everything has gone smoothly for the rear yet I have a question about the front. As I am trying to put the cap back on the tensioner goes out to almost level with the top of the adjuster body due to the spring force. Is this normal as I didn't notice this happening on the rear?

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 11-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #12

Have you put it back together correctly ? That 8mm bolt on the side, should stop the tensioner moving, When you get it back on the bike, and tightened up, release it, until you hear it snap into position. It is easy to put the cup inside, the wrong way around.

Old 11-07-2022, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Have you put it back together correctly ? That 8mm bolt on the side, should stop the tensioner moving, When you get it back on the bike, and tightened up, release it, until you hear it snap into position. It is easy to put the cup inside, the wrong way around.
Hey Mick. Yes it is assembled properly with the bearing locked down by the 8mm bolt. When putting the cap on with the smaller spring, the force of it makes the tensioner go down to level with the adjuster body where it stops. I feel that it is too far down yet don't really know for sure.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 11-07-2022, 05:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydgy View Post
Hey Mick. Yes it is assembled properly with the bearing locked down by the 8mm bolt. When putting the cap on with the smaller spring, the force of it makes the tensioner go down to level with the adjuster body where it stops. I feel that it is too far down yet don't really know for sure.
I just did a quick measure to the spot where the extension head would rest and it appears to be about the same travel the tensioner would go down before contact making it even with the top of the adjuster body.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 11-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #15

Did you wind the engine round on the crank, to get the timing marks lined up ? Back and front, have different marking, and the valves need to be in the right position, for the chain to be slack enough. I cant remember, if you have to rotate it backwards, or not. Help, from a wiser man, or woman than me, will be along shortly.