Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Question tour pack paint

Any one used the Colorite rattle can paint to paint a tour pack. If so any tips to pass on. Bought a good used Voyageur tour pack to put on my Vaquero for trips and hope to match the paint. Thanks in advance

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Any paint process is all in the prep. Wet sand the entire box, all edges and inside corners, with 400 grit wet sandpaper. Get the whole box scuffed evenly. Tape off whatever doesn't get paint. Then wipe down the scuffed box with a chemical surface prep to remove any residual oil/wax/etc. Next wipe it down with a tack cloth. Then a good filling primer, followed with light wet sand to scuff it up again. Tack cloth wipe down again. Then apply the Colorite rattle can coats, scuff/wipe, Colorite coat, scuff/wipe if needed.

After all that, light wet sand with 800 grit and buff out with polishing compound.

Did the fairing I installed on my buddy's VN900 with Colorite and it matched pretty good. Been durable for over three years now.

Did an ABS plastic fairing lowers repair on a buddy's Royal Star, used Colorite rattle can to match up the burgundy metallic paint. He's plenty happy with the results, especially since I was able to plastic weld up the cracks and rebuild the ground down edge.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 09-21-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips andyvh1959. After the base coat goes on and it is clearcoated is this what you were talking about as far as wet sand with 800 grit and then buff out with polishing compound? Thanks