Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #1

Nomad Seats & Backreast

I have the Mustang Seat and Like it..however like so many others it can get uncomfortable on long Rides 4 or more hours. But then I am old and heavy......I would buy it again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #2

Nomad Seats & Backreast

My 2 cents......and I wouldn't mind some change

I questioned all the hype about the Mustang seats and thought to myself there was no way I would shell out the cash for a SEAT!

As we grow older we mature........

Now I will never let a bike leave the dealer without one on there.

I borrowed a bike from a very good friend for over a year. He had installed a Mustang wide seat with the passengers pad as well. That seat was absolutely amazing! I rode another bike that had a stock seat and OMG! What a difference!

The Nomad I bought just happened to have the Mustang seat with driver's backrest and it is oh so sweet as well.

I have 2 complaints about my Mustang seat.
1. When I have my armor on the backrest pushes me a little too far forward. J&P Cycles sells an off-set post for the backrest that would solve that problem. So as soon as I get an extra $90 I will be ordering that.

2. When you take the passenger pad off to make the bike a solo bike, which I happen to get all weak in the knees about how good I think it looks solo, You lose the backrest. The driver backrest slides into the passenger part of the seat.

Other than that, I would most definitely do it again if I had to.

Others really like the Corbin seats. I have never ridden long distance on one so I can't speak about that.

I did have a travelcade gel seat on my 750 and thought that was ok. But really, the Mustang (IMO) is a very good investment if you are planning on long distance riding.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
VBA Founder

Nomad Seats & Backreast

I've been doing some research on backrests and have decided to get a Utopia. I had a Utopia brand on my previous bike and liked it alot. So, I'm going to try it on my Nomad.

I'm doing good with my stock seat. But, I have no butt, so stock seats fit me without a problem.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 07-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Nomad Seats & Backreast

I think it depends on your ergonomic requirements. I bought one when I had a 800 Classic and it was an improvement over stock, but I wouldn't call it a 500 mile or all seat. The stock seat was good for 50 miles and the Mustang 125. I think it didn't work for me because I am big (6'5, 350) and I don't have much padding on my butt. I have heard the mustang is not the seat for people like that. What do you buy then? I don't know. I wish I could rent one for a day. The stock seat on the Nomad put pressure on my tailbone, especially on warmer days. I may just recontour the foam myself and add some closed cell foam and a backrest. I really don't want to spend 500+ on something that doesn't work. For what the bike cost, it should have a better seat.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Nomad Seats & Backreast

I have to say that my stock 05 Nomad seat sucked. My buns would start burning in less than 50 miles and the stock passenger pad was so bad my wife stopped riding with me. :'(

I rode a buddies 1500 classic with a mustang and it was better than the stock seat but not that much. Then I road a buddies 1600 classic with the Day Long seat made by Russell Products and I was hooked. I checked them out and did not like the price but with the guaranty that if I did not I did not like the seat they would refund my money and build me a stock seat. I bought a 1600 classic from a guy so I still could ride because you have to send in your seat pans. My wife now rides with me all the time even on the longer runs. IMHO the Day Long is worth the money.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #6

Nomad Seats & Backreast

Quote:
[quote:v1xhvl57]

1. When I have my armor on the backrest pushes me a little too far forward. J&P Cycles sells an off-set post for the backrest that would solve that problem. So as soon as I get an extra $90 I will be ordering that.
If this is what your looking for

I'll sell you mine for $35 shipped to your house.

It is new BTW.[/quote:v1xhvl57]

Yes! That is it. I was WAY off on the price. I must have been thinking about something else. JP has it for $23.99 right now.

I very much appreciate the offer but I can't buy anything more for the bike until I get the shaft seal leak repaired.

Let me see how that goes and I will see if you still have it.

THANKS!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #7

Nomad Seats & Backreast

the stock seat on my 06 was only good for maybe 50 mile max. my 99 nomad still had stock on it when i got it & it was fine. i bought a mustang for the 06 . i have had it on for about 9000 miles it is ok but not as good as a lot of the bragging i was hearing. have done a couple 200 mile days and it was ok ,not great. hours in the seat is probally a better gage. the outer edges of the seat seem too firm for me. this can probally be fixed for a little more money. left sunday morning at 9:30 got home at 2:00 that was only about 140 miles. we stoped once for gas once for food once to give the butt a break. so it was tolerable, but not great.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Nomad Seats & Backreast

Whats the total cost for you guys who have ordered the Day Long seats(front and rear plus drivers back rest)??? I'm looking into this seat and wanted to know total cost and length of time your seat is gone. Good winter project, huh?? Thanks

Doc

Old 08-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Nomad Seats & Backreast

I would have to look on cost but I think around $700
I did not get the backrest which was stupid but so is life.
The seat took about 2 weeks or so cause,you actually get a build date when you contact them. Check out there website and they give you total costs.