Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #1

ZUMO 550 wire? Repost...

Thought I would post this question here as well. Sorry for the repost.

Hey all need a little help this time.

I just got my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS last week and have to say "LOVE IT" So I have the mounts all done on the bike now I just need to hard wire for power to the bike. The wiring that came with my zumo is easy just two leads. One hot and one for ground. Instead of me just hard wiring it right to the battery I know there are like two wires that sit under the seat with female connectors that I'm pretty sure is for adding accecsory's. Can anyone tell me which one is the hot and the ground or if thats what those extra two wires are for? I'm pretty sure that's why there there but I cant seem to find those wires in my Nomad service manual. So could anyone please let me know which color does what and if I can make the connection with no issues? Thank you in advance for any help.

Ok i just found out the same wires may be in the headlight buckets as whats under my seat? if thats the case if I hook the zumo up in the head light bucket accessories wires can i still add hiway lights to the bucket as well and run both units with no issues? Just want to do it right the first time. ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #2

ZUMO 550 wire? Repost...

A tester will tell you in a hurry which wire is hot. As far as the wires in the headlight bucket, they will work fine for the GPS, but you'll need a relay for driving lights. Also, I believe the aux wires in the headlight bucket are always on. Not sure though, I know they are on mine.
I have the Zumo 550 too and love it. I have an aux fuse block in my left side cover so I wired to that. It's on a relay so it's only hot when the key is on.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 05-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #3

ZUMO 550 wire? Repost...

ok thanks. I used the headlight bucket spare accesories wires grey/light blue strip and the the negtiave yellow with black stripe if i remember right. All is working well.