Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #1

Newbie On The Fence

Hi All,

I've been lurking for some time and reading a lot of good info. here and at gadgets site too. I currently ride a Suzuki VL-800. It's a great bike for back and forth to work but when I head to Montgomery for Drill or worse, Florence to see my son at college it is quite painfull. I'm looking at the Royal Star Venture and the Nomad. I was really leaning toward the Venture due to the fairing untill I found the links to different fairings for good prices. Now I'm not so sure about the Venture for @ 5K more. I would like to hear thoughts from you guys, especially if you've ever owned a Venture to compare. I'm 6'3" @ 240# for ref.

God Bless America,

Mark

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #2

Newbie On The Fence

Welcome to the forum! You found the right place for info.
Ive never had a venture but did considor one before buying my Nomad. I think they are both great bikes, The Nomad is a large bike where tall people can stretch out on them and get comfortable. They are a very troublefree machine for the most part that just wants to keep on running.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to ianicky
Newbie On The Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Welcome to the forum! You found the right place for info.
Ive never had a venture but did considor one before buying my Nomad. I think they are both great bikes, The Nomad is a large bike where tall people can stretch out on them and get comfortable. They are a very troublefree machine for the most part that just wants to keep on running.
+1 Ohh an i hope you go for the Nomad cause your more than welcome here

Old 07-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #4

Newbie On The Fence

First off, welcome to the forum. I too considered the Venture, before I bought the Nomad. When I started researching the different machines, and reading reviews on them, I decided to go with the Nomad. The Venture pros were more horsepower, fairing, trunk, and true cruise control. The cons were it was more cramped, and top heavy (by the reviews I read), and also the maintenance costs were a lot more. I decided to go with the Nad, and have never regretted it. I have added the fairing and trunk, and the only other thing I would like to have, would be a true cruise control, and that is doable, maybe a little further down the road.

I forgot to add, I'm 6'2" @ 240 lbs

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #5

Newbie On The Fence

Thanks for the response guys. I kind of thought it might cost more to keep up a venture. It sounds like I can do most of what I need on a Nomad myself. VulcanE, What fairing and trunk do you have? Rindagingh, Is yours the Premeux? (had to go look it up) I assume so with the lower fairings.

By the way, one of the things I really like around here is the absence of keyboard commandos that seem to be waiting for an opportunity to flame someone. It's nice to see questions asked and answered in a polite manner. Sure, folks are going to poke fun but some forums are just rude. I haven't found that here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Newbie On The Fence

I took an '07 Venture for a test ride yesterday and it came up very short on power compared to my 2000 Nomad 1500. It may be that my bike breathes better with the pipes I have and that the Venture I tried out was a fluke. However, a V-4 should beat out a v-twin any day at 1300 vs. 1500 cc's. I guess what it boils down to is do you want the look, sound and feel of a v-twin? The Nomad is about the best riding motorcycle that I have ever owned or ridden. I would take the Nomad over the Venture for highway riding it's that good.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #7

Newbie On The Fence

i considered the Venture also the Nomad and Venture were setting side by side at dealer. did a little research and also found the upkeep on Venture a lot more. Had seen a Nomad a few years ago at a race i attended and had been wanting one ever since so am glad i went with the Nomad. i am a big man too 6'2" 284 and am very comfortable on the Nomad

Almost forgot Welcome from Western North Carolina
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Newbie On The Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekip
Thanks for the response guys. I kind of thought it might cost more to keep up a venture. It sounds like I can do most of what I need on a Nomad myself. VulcanE, What fairing and trunk do you have? Rindagingh, Is yours the Canadian co. (starts with a P I think)? I assume so with the lower fairings.

By the way, one of the things I really like around here is the absence of keyboard commandos that seem to be waiting for an opportunity to flame someone. It's nice to see questions asked and answered in a polite manner. Sure, folks are going to poke fun but some forums are just rude. I haven't found that here.
Welcome to the Nomad Nation from sunny Phoenix, AZ! This is a civilized forum, so no roughhousng, use your "indoor" voice, and when you spit, try to hit the spitoon. Now, get off the fence and onto a Nomad!!!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #9

Newbie On The Fence

I've put 22,000 on my 1st year riding a Nomad, and they have been troublefree happy face miles :) Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #10

Newbie On The Fence

Overall, I think you'll find the Nomad very easy to maintain and very reliable. What flukes it does have are minor, and once you are indoctrinated into the secrets of Nomad maintenance they can be overcome without great expense almost every time. Of course it's not perfect. Nothing is. But once you've taken it for a casual ride on the highway one time, you'll forget that last comment completely. It really is a sweet ride.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #11

Newbie On The Fence

Welcome from Nampa, ID.

I just bought my Nomad a short while ago, and I was considering several bikes while shopping/researching. When I narrowed down the contenders it was between the Venture, Electraglide, Road King, Goldwing and Nomad.

The Harley's had some nice features and comfortable seats, but were still air cooled and I wanted liquid cooled. The venture was actually a very nice ride and seemed as comfortable as any of the other bikes, and just as powerful on test rides. It did feel a bit more top heavy than the Nomad, but not too bad. The Goldwing was a fantastic ride, like a cadillac, but it felt way too heavy and too much like a car. It was too smooth, if there is such a thing, and seemed like I was losing connection with the raw enjoyment of sitting on a big v-twin.

So what I liked about the Nomad that sold me... First, I too am a big man at 6'2" and 260lbs, and the Nomad feels very comfortable to stretch out and ride comfortably. Next, the styling of the Nomad really match my tastes as my all time favorite bike styling is that of an Indian Chief. The Drifter is even closer, but it lacks the features and add-ons I was seeking for 2-up touring. The many options for adding a fairing and trunk really helped me get over not going with a Venture, Electraglide or Wing. The throttle response and power of the Nomad's engine matched or beat them all, so I had all the power I needed for 2up with trailer touring. Finally, when the wife went on test rides, she commented that she really liked the smooth ride of the Wing, the comfort of the Electraglide (at speed), but said that when heading down the road on the Nomad, the vibration of the engine was just perfect and got her blood pumping. ;) That was all it took to sell me.

Safe riding.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Newbie On The Fence

Hey there Creekip... just wanted to welcome you aboard!! To be honest, the Nomad had me right off so I definitly think the only mistake would be not to get a Nomad!!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Newbie On The Fence

welcome to the site, now get off the fence and buy that nomad. just kidding buy what makes it for you. but you won't regret the nomad its one of the best bikes out there.
ride safe.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to aj
Newbie On The Fence

Creekip, fence sitting just gives you splinters, climb down son and enjoy the fun that is KowaNOW - Welcome

Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Newbie On The Fence

Beings that I have only had the Nomad since I started riding again after a 20 plus year break, I would say that I have really enjoyed it and the road trips on it.

Welcome!!

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad