Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-23-2017, 02:14 AM   #1

Pushing start button does nothing

Hello i am not sure if this has been asked answered, i have searched these forums and have not found the exact same issue i am having.
I have a 2009 1700 classic. I went riding the other day and everything was great. I stopped did some shopping ate lunch etc.After my 5th or 6th stop my bike would not start back up. I turn the key bike cycles, dash lights on, radio plays but when i push the start button nothing happens. I tried jumping the bike still nothing. after bout a hour slamming bike in and out of gear mashing the start button it just started. I left the store and bike kinda ran rough, spiting and back firing. The bike died, i was able to push button and start it back up. When i decelerated the bike died again. this time was not able to start so i let clutch out and fired up to just die again. At this point she wont do nothing when pushing the start button. Push starting it will act like it will fire but does not, however does activate the head light once it tries.
things i noticed when pushing start button for over a hour, the FI light would come on and off, and 3 times now i have seen err 21 on display, this error code does not show up all the time and when it does it is 45 mins to a hour after continuing pushing start button shifting gears clutch and stand back and forth. I looked up the code from what i see says crankshaft sensor, on other vulcans nothing stating a 09 tho.
Battery is good and charged, all fuses have been checked. Any help would be greath

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #2

Greetings,
Here is one thought, check the safety switch on the kick stand. If the switch is going bad, or out of adjustment if could be trying to "kill" the engine. On a 750 I had, this switch had to be disconnected until the replacement arrived. The purpose of this safety switch to to ensure that the bike is NOT in GEAR while the KICKSTAND is DOWN and the bike is presumed to be moving. *If you have ever ridden an older bike and forget to put the kick stand up, you'll know why this switch is there...
Anyway, on the 750 the behavior was hauntingly similar until switch failure was diagnosed...

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 09-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #3
Advanced Member

First, check your battery condition and the connection on both ends of both battery cables.
Code 21 is crankshaft sensor error. The wire connector is on the bottom right side of the engine, unplug it and check the resistance between the black and yellow lead, should be between 376 & 564 ohm, and both leads should be infinite to ground. The sensor is on the left side of the engine and requires removal of the alternator cover to replace it. The wire routes across the bottom of the engine, check to see if it is damaged.
That said, I don't think a failed crank sensor would prevent the starter from operating, so check the connections from the start switch ( inside the headlight bucket), the start relay and the start solenoid. You could use a heavy jumper cable and go directly from the battery positive to the terminal on the starter, if the bike cranks but won't start then the sensor likely is toast, if it cranks and starts up then you have you have something wrong with the switch, relay or solenoid.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #4

I will check the switch. I was going to take it apart and look see if there any wires damage, but didnt want to start missing with anything till i knew where to start looking. As for the sensor i will have to have some one check that as i am not to sure i could do it.
The kick stand switch i thought of first, however did not take the wire out clean or anything, nor do i know how to by pass it to see if that would be the issue.
I was told that if the crankshift sensor was out bad or whatever would not keep the bike from at least turning over but i did find a forum that stated it would do just that. Kawasaki dealer had no clue so was lost there
i will check this stuff you two suggested tomorrow and let you know
Thanks for the info

Old 09-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

I second the check the wires in the headlight bucket. I had a similar issue a few weeks back and it ended up being a loose connector in the headlight bucket. Pushed it together and everything worked great again! Hope you find your problem quickly and cheaply!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #6

I had the same problem on my 2016 voyager. Turned out to be the kill switch it had corrosion in the switch. Try flipping the switch on and off about 50 times and see if that works. If it does clean it up or replace it. The err 21 code is caused because the switch does not let enough current go to the sensor. That's what the dealer told me.
Good Luck
2014 NCR/SCR Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View, AR
2014 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2015 VRA/VBA Rally, Eureka Springs, AR
2016 NCR Rally, Hillsboro, WI
2016 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2017 National Rally, Lake George NY
2017 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2018 NCR/SCR Rally, Custer, SD
2018 Canada East/North East US Baddeck, NS

Old 11-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #7

I will try the kill switch thing.
I am still trying to figure out what is the issue. I am not able to locate the camshaft sensor, online docs show different parts, when i looked to buy one i get 3 or 4 different things saying it is a cam shaft.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #8

Ok so I am not sure what fixed it, but think it was the kill switch. I had a friend take everything apart that was mentioned, clutch wires, kick stand wires, camshaft sensor connections, then finally the kill switch we cleaned everything blew all out and she fired up. I thinking kill switch because it was bad, and seemed if wiggled the right way before cleaning it really good it would image. Thanks for all hell and suggestions. I reread the post and just did the steps over with some one the knew about bikes and was able to get it to run. Saved me a trip to the shop at 700 bucks

Old 11-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otho96 View Post
Ok so I am not sure what fixed it, but think it was the kill switch. I had a friend take everything apart that was mentioned, clutch wires, kick stand wires, camshaft sensor connections, then finally the kill switch we cleaned everything blew all out and she fired up. I thinking kill switch because it was bad, and seemed if wiggled the right way before cleaning it really good it would image. Thanks for all hell and suggestions. I reread the post and just did the steps over with some one the knew about bikes and was able to get it to run. Saved me a trip to the shop at 700 bucks
Cool! Hope you get him a nice Christmas gift.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Tags
crank shaft sensor, err 21, error 21, start button